Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas - 2023 Edition - Tour stops report -

p6x

Well...it's a 50% win...got the rocker patch, but not the full round one yet...inquiry sent to the organizer.  Hopefully a complete set soon.

9 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

Well...it's a 50% win...got the rocker patch, but not the full round one yet...inquiry sent to the organizer.  Hopefully a complete set soon.

That should be easy to correct;

I personally disagreed on the rule that you only receive one of the round patch for your first participation and 25/50 stops completion; successive completions will only yield the millesime rocker for that year. He has so far, no provision to get more than one round and rocker patches. I contacted him on the first year of participation, suggesting that some of us have more than one jacket, but his answer was, the majority have a single garment where they put their patches on.

Is this how it works for everybody?

I also suggested to have either a 5/10/15/20...years tour finisseur rocker or patch. He said he would look into that, maybe.

I am planning to run the tour for as long as I am able to.

• Like 1

I’m with you 100%.  I also have several Jackets…one long mesh, a short mesh, an impermeable one, so it would be nice to have multiple patches to attach, I would even buy the extra ones!  

Hopefully he sends out the round one shortly!  

It arrived finally!

I will put a Velcro patch backing on it so I can switch it from jacket to jacket as needed.  I have several large circular black industrial strength velcro patches.  Next year I hope to get all 50 stops…got 30 this year.

IMG_1507.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PJPR01 said:

It arrived finally!

I will put a Velcro patch backing on it so I can switch it from jacket to jacket as needed.  I have several large circular black industrial strength velcro patches.  Next year I hope to get all 50 stops…got 30 this year.

IMG_1507.jpeg

Good thinking about Velcro patches!

If you noticed, there are actually no stops in Houston. I suggested some, including Iron Supply Powersports in Katy who's owner I spoke to.

The tour director only takes family owned businesses, Iron Supply Powersports fits the requirement, and the owner said he was willing to be a sponsor, but according to the Tour Director, the sponsoring is numerus clausus, so no opening for now. I wish he swapped some of those stops that come back every years for new ones.

Next year, I will start my campaign earlier, trying to avoid the hottest months. March, April, May are ideal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, p6x said:

Good thinking about Velcro patches!

If you noticed, there are actually no stops in Houston. I suggested some, including Iron Supply Powersports in Katy who's owner I spoke to.

The tour director only takes family owned businesses, Iron Supply Powersports fits the requirement, and the owner said he was willing to be a sponsor, but according to the Tour Director, the sponsoring is numerus clausus, so no opening for now. I wish he swapped some of those stops that come back every years for new ones.

Next year, I will start my campaign earlier, trying to avoid the hottest months. March, April, May are ideal.

It sounds like we may be able to start earlier…something I read in the last newsletter…and a few more alternative stops!  It would be nice if he added a stop near to home…but I just consider the Red Roof Inn as my “local stop”!

A really good suggestion on the Iron Supply…would fit the bill precisely.

Weather is perfect for riding!!

12 minutes ago, PJPR01 said:

Weather is perfect for riding!!

I am still waiting on tires....

I really want to check the Road 6, if only one time.

I wish I had a second motorcycle, I am wasting perfect time.

Someone said that some of these storage outfits have Motorcycle storage options. Are you familiar? I checked the one that is next door to where I live, and they don't.

• Like 1

https://www.istorage.com/storage/texas/storage-units-houston/10200-Katy-Fwy-881?utm_source=google&utm_medium=local&utm_content=881&utm_campaign=localmaps

This is the closest storage place I see near you, might be worthwhile checking out.  I don't see why they would mind having a motorcycle in one of the 5x 10's...or even smaller, the storage space near my place up in Spring has cars, motorcycles, boats,RV's etc..  I don't see why they wouldn't allow it...having a trickle charger would be a good idea.

By the way for changing tires on the Guzzis I am now using Motorcycles Unlimited, a shop on FM1960 (in and out in less than 24 hours, you can bring the tires, or they can order them for you.  No more 6 week wait!  You can bring the bike or bring in the tires.  Either way...slight difference in price.  Very fast service.  For the more complex stuff other than tires, back to MPH but for routine stuff like tires, you can get fast turn around.

https://motorcycles-unlimited.com/

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

A pleasant Xmas surprise arrived today!!

IMG_1541.jpeg

Oh!

You got an extra patch because he forgot to send you the rocker?!

Lucky!

I got my rocker sawn in yesterday.

• Like 1