New still in crate Daytona 1000!

4corsa

2 hours ago, 4corsa said:

But the bidder is spelling it Knofler without the "p", so not sure it's our Dire Straits hero

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Dang, I better use my glasses. I know he is a big collector, but wondered why he wouldn't go more incognito. 🤔  One letter off wouldnt be the way to do it. Seems like the price is climbing a bit...lets see how crazy this gets.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, activpop said:

Dang, I better use my glasses. I know he is a big collector, but wondered why he wouldn't go more incognito. 🤔  One letter off wouldnt be the way to do it. Seems like the price is climbing a bit...lets see how crazy this gets.

Maybe I'll create an account at "EwenMacgregor" and make a lot of positive comments to run up the price and excitement even further   ;)

Just kidding :lol:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, al_roethlisberger said:

Maybe I'll create an account at "EwenMacgregor" and make a lot of positive comments to run up the price and excitement even further   ;)

Just kidding :lol:

Too late, I started the Jay Leno account. :bier:

• Haha 3

Do we think that the selling price of 31.5k is reasonable for this moto?

I hold the almost odd and audacious proportions of these model Guzzi's in high regard. They, for many reasons in their day, are rare. 

From here, a biased and fervent love of the auditory spawn their engineers managed to conjure by virtue of skill or accident; birthed decades ago and revered as endemic once it was understood.

A handful of motorcycles are solid in my auditory ear canal and they stop me in my tracks as their faint sound grows loud then rumbles past. A joy to hear. 

Moto Guzzis, BMWs, Ducatis, are a chorus of a proud history.   And evolution is a jarring tremor of shifting sands we're all wobbling atop.   . . .  I'm not advocating nostalgic hamster wheel travel.

Transportation understandably involves a sentient reality, an imperative to resolve its consequence; but dinosaurs should also be a celebrated niche. 

For me, an ability to feed off of what I love about the confluence of the trepidatious wonder of what will follow the smack of the gearshift into the first of five or six at the onset of a journey on one of these machines and the many that made it possible for me and others to do so while grateful I'm able to be astride for the moments I'm able.     Sometimes for a reason.  Equally often merely because I'm able to do so.  Both are a rock and roll gifted.     

There are multitudes of these machines out and about that grace us by virtue of their presence; artifacts offering a proposition of mutual benefit were their progenitors able to cast a vote.

It is difficult to assimilate the prospects for this crated Daytona. It presents an equally confounding conundrum for its next chapter and the spirit the new owner chooses. I would love to see it, or another of its ilk thunder by me while I watch and hear.       Best wishes to the new owner of this machine. Hopefully uncrated and sputtering to life as was its purpose. Me, others, and the hands that spun wrenches will grin at first sight. 

31.5k seems tiny for this pauper, but extraordinarily priced for other reasons. 

• Like 3

31.5k seems tiny for this pauper, but extraordinarily priced for other reasons. 

It's like they say on Antiques Roadshow... it's hard to put a value on it because there are no recent comps ;)

An auction seems to settle that uncertainty though, clarifying what the market will bear.

Apparently it is worth $31,500 USD to someone :huh2:   ...it is a bit of a unicorn in its special still-in-a-crate condition obviously.

So, on another interesting note... at least to me......

Take a look at who and where the USA distributor for Moto Guzzi was in the early 1990s per the shipping label on this crate:  Lillington, NC

This is significant to me for two reasons:

1)  Lillington, NC is a tiny town.  It has one of those main streets that is only a small-town-block long that you'll miss if you blink.  I'm not disparaging Lillington, as I like Lillington, but really, it's small, with a population of 4,558 today, with a population of about 2,459 in 1993!

2)  Lillington is just 22 miles down the road from my also not so huge city of Sanford ;)

How in the heck did little Lillington, NC, just down the road from me, end up being the US distributor of MG in the 1990s?   

See the attached article from the May 1991 issue of "American Motorcyclist" for a little more information.

What an interesting small world.

Moto-America-Lillington-NC-American-Motorcyclist-May-1991-Page-59.JPG

Daytona-in-a-crate-shipping-label.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Purloined said:

Do we think that the selling price of 31.5k is reasonable for this moto?

Al hit the nail on the head:

5 hours ago, al_roethlisberger said:

Apparently it is worth $31,500 USD to someone :huh2:   ...it is a bit of a unicorn in its special still-in-a-crate condition obviously.

The bike is collectable, still in the crate as it is. What it is worth is what the buyer is willing to pay. No more, no less. The price can not be justified other than by "I want it", and doesn't have to be in any way rational, reasonable, or comparable to anything. There just has to be someone willing to pay it. :huh2:

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 11:45 AM, audiomick said:

That is more or less the reason behind my asking about registration. You can use an old frame as the basis for a custom build here and thereby avoid modern emission laws. BUT the frame has to have been registered already for that to work. The emissions regulations that apply are those for the date of first registration, not for the date of manufacture according to the VIN.

Here in the USA a vehicle is registered based on when it is made, not when it is registered. You can buy a leftover vehicle from a previous model year and when you register it they will register it based on the original model year, not the current year you are registering it in. That is a difference between the way we do it and the way some others do it.

As such, it would only need to comply with emissions from at the time it was originally made. It will have a plate on it that declares such compliance.

• Thanks 1

I certainly don't think it is worth over $30,000, and I have and love a Daytona, but it seems it is to at least two people. Daytona's are cool bikes, but they aren't worth that sort of coin to me. I would say maybe an MGS-01 is worth that sort of coin, but the build quality of a Daytona is several steps down from an MGS-01. But in the end, it is worth what someone, or in this case at least two people, will pay for it.

• Like 2

It is worth what someone else will pay is what I use to rationalize almost everything on BaT. 😂 Some of my brother's friends who are deeper into the car world half-jokingly describe BaT as the money laundering and fantasy valuation site!🤞😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 3