fuel efficiency

mikev

My V11 sport is getting about 35 MPG.  This seems low compared to what some others have posted here.  To test the range the other day, I ran it till the low fuel light started flickering a bit, which was at about 152 miles.  Is this something I can improve with settings in either the power commander or ECU?  I have not tried to mess with either of those yet but would like to improve my MPG if possible.

Sounds about right the way I ride. Just humming down the highway at steady rpm, I would expect a little higher, but not much. 

Lucky Phil has shared the astute observation that the ECU runs an enrichening map every restart regardless of engine/ambient temperature. Multiple restarts will degrade fuel economy.

A couple things you could try:

First would be to defeat the Power Commander. It is not unlikely it was set up to add fuel. Pete Roper has reminded us repeatedly what a bad idea this is. Easy to defeat the PC, see how it rides and check mpg.

Always easy to recommend the entire Decent Tune-up. Make absolute certain the TPS is accurately indexed. 

You have used Guzzidiag to check/set the CO Fuel Trim?

Where do you keep tire pressures?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I get 200 to a tank. Your fuel light gives you a range of near 60 miles I find. So that ties in with your figures. I have had mine down to 28 mp/ukg on a proper hoon!

• Like 3

I'm conducting a fuel test now, not sure if my fuel light even works. I have about 150 miles on the tank thus far, no light yet. I've started to carry a litre of fuel in my backpack...

My new work commute is 25 miles one way, nearly all freeway so this won't take long to determine my numbers, although I don't ride every day. It's actually been raining a bunch in SoCal. :o

• Like 2

2 hours ago, docc said:

defeat the Power Commander....tire pressure....Guzzidiag

How do you defeat the power commander, just unplug it?

Tire pressure is ~35 front at ~40 rear last time I checked

I have not messed with Guzzidiag yet.  Want to.  Need the cables and might have to borrow my son's Windows computer.

1 hour ago, mikev said:

How do you defeat the power commander, just unplug it?

Tire pressure is ~35 front at ~40 rear last time I checked

I have not messed with Guzzidiag yet.  Want to.  Need the cables and might have to borrow my son's Windows computer.

35/40 is what I use as well.

AFAIK, yes, you can unplug the PC and plug the connector back into the ECU. 

Having recently performed a full Decent Tune-up (and TPS replacement), my fuel economy went up about 3 mpg. 

• Thanks 1

G'day

Yes you just unplug the PC111 and replug connecter back into ecu...

I did this years ago when having running issues and we flicked between Pc in /out to try and diagnose.

I also recommend getting rid of the PC111 and having ecu remapped/flashed.

As for mileage I'm now getting 250 kays to a tank before the light flickers on, but this is droning down the freeway.

Cheers Guzzler

• Like 3

What is your TPS reading on the Guzzi diag docc ?  Still a greenhorn when it comes to interweb, but learned to adjust TPS with the diag, EASIER, I think. Checking TPS at the same time, turn the troottle, watch the #'s. All I know for now :rasta:, tiny progress.

Cheers Tom.

3 hours ago, mikev said:

...might have to borrow my son's Windows computer.

You shouldn't have to do that. Guzzidiag runs on Linux and Mac computers as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

What is your TPS reading on the Guzzi diag docc ?  Still a greenhorn when it comes to interweb, but learned to adjust TPS with the diag, EASIER, I think. Checking TPS at the same time, turn the troottle, watch the #'s. All I know for now :rasta:, tiny progress.

Cheers Tom.

The TPS is not set with GuzziDiag, only with a quality voltmeter with the right throttle plate fully and completely closed.

The ECU does not output a value at this level, so GuzziDiag cannot see it. This indexes the actual/physical throttle position to the ECU fuel/ignition mapping. The 157mV value is critical. "More is not better !" :oldgit:

Once the first five steps of the Decent Tune-up have been performed (plugs/valve adj; TPS baseline; CO Fuel Trim; Air Bypass Screws; Throttle Body synch), set the idle rpm (TPS degrees open/TPS voltage) wherever you, your V11, and your traffic/temperature conditions like best. That "535mV" target is just not significant.

FWIW, my last (faulty) TPS struggled to allow mySport to idle above 1000 rpm. New TPS, careful baseline setting, and idling happily at  1400 rpm. Sure, a lot of people think that is too high. But not if you ask mySport. :race:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry docc,  bad explaining from up here. When diag is connected you can see your TPS setting, and fysically turn the TPS. My reading on the Nero Corsa has 0.430v and runs superb. She starts just tuch the starter button, and runs.  Happy to say have been involved in quite a few tuning experiences already, priceless. 

All of what you said above is of course 100%

Cheers Tom.

18 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

Sorry docc,  bad explaining from up here. When diag is connected you can see your TPS setting, and fysically turn the TPS. My reading on the Nero Corsa has 0.430v and runs superb. She starts just tuch the starter button, and runs.  Happy to say have been involved in quite a few tuning experiences already, priceless. 

All of what you said above is of course 100%

Cheers Tom.

Just want to say, for the record, that changing the TPS setting based upon GuzziDiag, at idle, is a shot in the dark (unpredictable outcomes).

Whatever the TPS reads, at idle (whether in voltage or "Degrees of Opening), is fine as long as the V11 starts and idles happily.

Nut Brown Ale time !

Cheers, Tom! :bier:

• Like 1

NO idling :bier:

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tomchri said:

NO idling :bier:

Cheers Tom.

Have you ever heard a V11 rider complain about running issues from 5000 rpm and up ?!?  :race:

WHEEEEE-eeee-EEEEEEEE~E~E~E ! ! ! ! ! ! !

:thing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2