Steering damper

audiomick

My long frame V11 Le Mans was in for its bi-annaul inspection yesterday. Passed, but not with flying colours. The engineer noted that the steering damper was losing oil, and the workshop Meister told me when I picked it up that the damper wasn't doing anything worth mentioning any more.

So:

What is the general opinion; is the steering damper absolutely necessary on a long frame V11?

As mentioned, it apparently isn't really doing anything much anymore, and I haven't missed it, so I'm, inclined to just remove it. The Meister also was of the opinion that it could be removed.

Second question, is the steering damper reparable?

I don't reckon I really need it, but I would be curious to find out how much difference it makes, if that could be achieved without too much financial effort.

When my Bitubo leaked, I went without it for a while, but found I liked a little assistance (resistance?) in tight steering lock during parking maneuvers. The likelihood that a V11 would throw a wobble/tank slapper is rather slim. Lots of members have removed theirs with no ill effects.

Too much damping and the V11 (especially the early ShortFrame) can suffer from high speed weave (very different from "wobble"). The early Sports were  known for this and my dealer advised to set the damping to minimum. [edit: I found the weave to be multi-causal and solved it with suspension changes, sag set-up, tire type/pressure selection. Very early RedFrames had carry-over triple trees that can be problematic.]

HyperPro offers a selection of dampers that fit (I'll look for that thread).  We have another, highly contentious, one thousand three hundred seventy-two posts/ 115 page thread that ended locked, a member ejection, two other members leaving, and the forum being put on probation. :wacko:

We are passionate beings about things like damping, you know . . . :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Agree with you on the Hyperpro damper Doc...

I have mine set on 4 clicks (of a possible 24, I think can't remember ).

Anyways it's a quality item and works a treat.

We have some good goat tracks round here that've given the bike ample opportunity to misbehave so I'm a fan!

Cheers Guzzler

Ps the standard Bitubo is CRAP 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2023 at 10:36 AM, audiomick said:

... is the steering damper reparable?...

Yes, the damper is repairable. A visit to the local seal shop is needed, then fill with ATF fluid.

My damper is always on the lowest setting, so you may not need it on the long frame bike.

Damper.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MartyNZ said:

... you may not need it on the long frame bike.

I gather that it is really not that necessary on the long frame bikes,

BUT...

I learned today that it is apparently an "homologation item", i.e. if it is missing and something nasty happens, there may be problems with the law and/or insurance. Therefore, I will be leaving it on, even if it is turned back all the way.

Might have a go at re-building it (thanks @MartyNZ for the info), might just bite the bullet and get one of the Hyperpro units. That would need a european certificate of compliance, but the manufacturer is from the Netherlands. Maybe they have one. :)

• Like 1

I doubt you'd have any issues with compliance mate, they are a quality item!

The Bitubo on mine was leaking when I got the bike at 20,000 kays!

I fitted the Hyperpro damper when suspension upgraded at 40,000 kays and at 98,500 kays no leaks and it works perfectly still...

Cheers 

• Like 1

Compliance here means it needs to have a German ABE (something like "general permission for use) or a European "E Number". Doesn't matter how good it is, if the number isn't on it, it's out of the game.

As I mentioned, Hyperpro is in the Netherlands, so I assume they are on to the "E Number". We'll see, maybe.

Practically the only thing on a bike that doesn't need a number is luggage racks. Can't work out how they slipped through the net, but that's how it is. :huh2:

Compliance in Germany...

Geez sounds like a pain mate!

But if it turns out it's ok to use on your bike and you go down that track, you won't be disappointed with the damper.

Cheers 

30 minutes ago, guzzler said:

Compliance in Germany...

Geez sounds like a pain mate!

Yep.

Look at this, it's the ABE document :

https://hyperpro.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/Steeringdamper-ABE-91325-2023.pdf

and on page 16:

MOTO GUZZI (I)
V 10 Centauro KK H 649 ´98 - ´00 MK-MG10-O001 75 Mounting Kit on original place
V 11 Sport KR e3*0007 ´98 - ´00 MK-MG10-O001 75 Mounting Kit on original place

so officially I could use one on an earlier Sport, but not on the Le Mans.

I'll need to think about it a bit more... :unsure:

Edit: a bit of a search in parts catalogues indicates that it is the same part number for all V11 models. Maybe I can swing something with that argument. And the Hyperpro is about €120,- cheaper than the original part.

https://wendelmotorraeder.de/lenk-stossdaempfer_gu01530291-p-1034146.html?ref=expl

https://www.hyperpro-shop.de/epages/61863095.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61863095/Products/DS-075D-NP1

It seems the RSC version is available with 65mm or 75mm travel. Does anyone know which of these is suitable for a V11?

I've got the CSC version mate and no issues with fitment.

This is the constant as opposed to progressive ( reactive ) tension one.

Cheers 

Ps looks like the Germans love Bureaucratic BS as much as our Victorian State Govt..... 

• Like 1

We removed the steering damper on the wife's V11 many years ago, after the original failed. She found she preferred the light steering and increased feedback it had without a steering damper, so we never replaced it. It is free to try it without and see how you like it (or don't like it).

Her V11 is an early red frame V11, but it does have suspension improvements in the form of a better shock and mods to the front forks to give them better dampening and control.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

It is free to try it without and see how you like it (or don't like it).

Yes, of course, but as mentioned above, it seems the damper is required by law here. Even so, one can back it all the way off. It just has to be there. :)