Steering damper

audiomick

Did the same as Marty, works as intended. 

Cheers Tom .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2023 at 5:05 PM, audiomick said:

Yep.

Look at this, it's the ABE document :

https://hyperpro.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/Steeringdamper-ABE-91325-2023.pdf

and on page 16:

MOTO GUZZI (I)
V 10 Centauro KK H 649 ´98 - ´00 MK-MG10-O001 75 Mounting Kit on original place
V 11 Sport KR e3*0007 ´98 - ´00 MK-MG10-O001 75 Mounting Kit on original place

so officially I could use one on an earlier Sport, but not on the Le Mans.

I'll need to think about it a bit more... :unsure:

Edit: a bit of a search in parts catalogues indicates that it is the same part number for all V11 models. Maybe I can swing something with that argument. And the Hyperpro is about €120,- cheaper than the original part.

https://wendelmotorraeder.de/lenk-stossdaempfer_gu01530291-p-1034146.html?ref=expl

https://www.hyperpro-shop.de/epages/61863095.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61863095/Products/DS-075D-NP1

It seems the RSC version is available with 65mm or 75mm travel. Does anyone know which of these is suitable for a V11?

Just to be clear, did you find the DS-075R for 120E, or you saying it’s 120E cheaper than original?  I’ve been seeing the unit for over 200 E or USD, so just making sure i wasn’t missing a better priced source 😎

€120,- cheaper.

Wendel has the Bitubo original listed at €406,- , and the Hyperpro shop is asking €285,- for their unit.

Those prices can be seen in the links in the post you quoted... :whistle:

• Like 1

My Bitubo was mostly empty with weepy seals. As a matter of exploration, I disassembled and cleaned it, with attention to the seals. Refilled with fork oil and it's been perfect for a few years since. 

• Like 3

On 6/23/2023 at 6:57 AM, GuzziMoto said:

We removed the steering damper on the wife's V11 many years ago, after the original failed. She found she preferred the light steering and increased feedback it had without a steering damper, so we never replaced it. It is free to try it without and see how you like it (or don't like it).

Her V11 is an early red frame V11, but it does have suspension improvements in the form of a better shock and mods to the front forks to give them better dampening and control.

can you explain the fork mods please?

4 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

can you explain the fork mods please?

The early V11 forks have adjusters on top for compression and rebound adjustments. But they do nothing because the cartridges have two large bypass holes that allow the fork oil to bypass the valving in the pistons. The valving doesn't have any noticeable effect until the piston has gone past the bypass holes in its stroke,  which is pretty much not until the final inch of travel. By blocking off one of the two holes you start forcing oil through the valving in the piston, making the adjusters relevant as well.

It has been mentioned over the years on here. 

I don't think it applies to an '03. But I could be wrong. 

• Thanks 1