Exhaust modifications, (Mistral)

Formula Alfa

10 hours ago, Formula Alfa said:

Thanks ScuRoo,

Definately food for thought, if it doesnt cost too much to just swap over the o2 sensor for the Bosch one you mention, I might well do that before I get my tune up done.

Thanks again for everyone`s input regarding this subject, if anything I have received too much information.

At the end of the day, Just want the bike to run nice at all rpm, I`m sure I will get there.

What I have also realised is that you can get too hung up on stuff and if your not careful you can stress yourself out for no real reason,and spend a fortune for no real benefit, like almost everyone else though, I cant help myself and am constantly searching for the perfect bike to ride, I go through a cycle of aquiring motorcycles, I have too many to deal with, then I sell some, then I need some more, :(, its a complete addiction I have had for some time now !!

It seems to me, modern bikes are actually a real pain though with their more complex ecu`s/sensors/emission control systems the manufacturers are now obliged to install and yet, how much of an environmental impact do motorcycles have compared to other vehicles I wonder?, It doesnt really matter now what the level of pollution is, if it runs on a fossil fuel, its in the firing line whether it is a moped or a truck!, I have reached an age where I find myself hankering after older bikes now that I can still fiddle with, with relative ease, My next goal is to find a bike around 40 years old that is satisfying to ride and Tax and MOT exempt!

Anyway, went off subject a bit there!,  Once I have carried out further work to the Guzzi, I will report my findings.

Ride safe.

Formula Alfa.

The total environmental emission impact of all transport, so that means cars, trucks, aircraft, shipping, motorcycles etc is reliably estimated to be 16%. So road transport from memory is estimated at around 9% total. Ever wondered why private road transport seems to take the brunt of the ire for "environmental" issues? Because it's a soft target is why. There is an loose agenda out there in it's infancy articulated by some in influential positions to eventually ban private transport particularly if you live in a large city or regional area. I can foresee the day where you need to have a car permit to own a car and a government agency will asses your personal circumstances and right to own one. If you live in a city and want to do a "road trip" for your vacation or other reasons then you will need to apply for a trip permit to rent a car. It will happen under the guise of environmental sustainability but remember cars and personal transport are a large part of the individuals sense of freedom and there are influential global institutions that don't really see personal freedom as a prime consideration for global governance. I sound like a conspiracy theorist I know but I can see this coming. I pray I'm totally wrong and part of me thinks "well I'll be long gone when it happens" but now I'm not so sure, things are moving faster than ever. 

Phil 

• Like 2

It’s quite clear you’re on the right track LP. There is a conspiracy. But there’s nothing theoretical about it.

However if you’re not comfortable with conspiracy theorist - the mind numbing alternative is being a ‘Coincidence theorist’ 🤣

F35EA5F1-7954-4133-92D3-8AF7A0AA8471.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/9/2023 at 4:36 PM, Lucky Phil said:

I can foresee the day where you need to have a car permit to own a car and a government agency will asses your personal circumstances and right to own one.

That is very close to the way Singapore laws have been in force for at least the last 20 years.

And on the subject of tuning and cans... I agree with the idea of just putting whatever exhaust you prefer (due to weight, looks, and sound) and then do the basic tune-up with the stock map. After that, you can play with other maps if you are so inclined.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 5:41 AM, Formula Alfa said:

I have reached an age where I find myself hankering after older bikes now that I can still fiddle with, with relative ease, My next goal is to find a bike around 40 years old that is satisfying to ride and Tax and MOT exempt!

I have been enjoying my 1989 Moto Guzzi Lemans 1000.  It was the last of the Tonti-framed LeMans. It is raw, elemental, and low-tech. This version of the LeMans is also affordable - not having achieved the collector status of the original LeMans. To get 40 years old, you'd need to back a few revisions in the LeMans series.

On 8/10/2023 at 9:36 AM, Lucky Phil said:

The total environmental emission impact of all transport, so that means cars, trucks, aircraft, shipping, motorcycles etc is reliably estimated to be 16%. So road transport from memory is estimated at around 9% total. Ever wondered why private road transport seems to take the brunt of the ire for "environmental" issues? Because it's a soft target is why. There is an loose agenda out there in it's infancy articulated by some in influential positions to eventually ban private transport particularly if you live in a large city or regional area. I can foresee the day where you need to have a car permit to own a car and a government agency will asses your personal circumstances and right to own one. If you live in a city and want to do a "road trip" for your vacation or other reasons then you will need to apply for a trip permit to rent a car. It will happen under the guise of environmental sustainability but remember cars and personal transport are a large part of the individuals sense of freedom and there are influential global institutions that don't really see personal freedom as a prime consideration for global governance. I sound like a conspiracy theorist I know but I can see this coming. I pray I'm totally wrong and part of me thinks "well I'll be long gone when it happens" but now I'm not so sure, things are moving faster than ever. 

Phil 

If our current Dictator and his minions have their way, it'll be sooner rather than later!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Good afternoon everyone,

Well, I am pleased to report that my V11 is now hiccup free at lower rpm:sun:, for the benefit of Uk Members, I used "REPS" Motorcycles in Caldicot, Royston, ex TT racer, has a rolling road and has been tuning motorcycle engines for a long time, he has worked on countless Guzzi`s previously and after I described the hesitation/coughing etc he knew exactly what to do and was able to tune the engine richening the mixture with the limited adjustment available as standard.

Lovely roll on power and acceleration now, nice and smooth and getting approx extra 5bhp between 2 and 4000 rpm.

Since I last posted on here, I have now also with the help of UK member Steve S, had the updated stronger shift return spring fitted, so another box ticked.

I have now turned my attention to ergonomics and want to find some suitable risers to come up and back a bit, after reading previous post on here, I like the idea of MPH risers retaining the standard handlbars so if anyone has a pair for sale, I am up for a deal!

Regards,

Formula Alfa.

• Like 1

Good afternoon everyone,

Well, I am pleased to report that my V11 is now hiccup free at lower rpm:sun:, for the benefit of Uk Members, I used "REPS" Motorcycles in Caldicot, Royston, ex TT racer, has a rolling road and has been tuning motorcycle engines for a long time, he has worked on countless Guzzi`s previously and after I described the hesitation/coughing etc he knew exactly what to do and was able to tune the engine richening the mixture with the limited adjustment available as standard.

Lovely roll on power and acceleration now, nice and smooth and getting approx extra 5bhp between 2 and 4000 rpm.

Since I last posted on here, I have now also with the help of UK member Steve S, had the updated stronger shift return spring fitted, so another box ticked.

I have now turned my attention to ergonomics and want to find some suitable risers to come up and back a bit, after reading previous post on here, I like the idea of MPH risers retaining the standard handlbars so if anyone has a pair for sale, I am up for a deal!

Regards,

Formula Alfa.

Thats a statement that can't be uttered until you have put a few thousand miles on the bike in all weather conditions. 

Out of interest I loaded and compared Meinolfs V11 fuel map to the std v11 Sport map and looked in that low throttle angle V 3000 rpm range and noted it's massively richer in that general area. Although Meinolf has messed about a bit with the throttle and RPM break points in some areas it's around 100% richer than the std v11 map. Interesting.

Phil

• Like 1

Good afternoon everyone,

Regards,

Formula Alfa.

There is no limit to the adjustability of the mapping. You can make it anything you like in any region, both fuel and ignition. 

Phil

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

There is no limit to the adjustability of the mapping. You can make it anything you like in any region, both fuel and ignition. 

Phil

Yeah, someday, I would like to smooth these corners out. Especially that ridiculous ignition advance in the low rpm at low throttle opening . . .

Messages%20Image(4016287376).png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, docc said:

that ridiculous ignition advance in the low rpm at low throttle opening . . .

I want to get onto that as well. Maybe I'll get around to it one day...

RoundTuit

In the mean time...

My V11 Le Mans has the hiccough, and I haven't been able to do the "decent tune-up" yet, so it is still there.

The Le Mans is a 2002 Model. My Breva 750 IE is a 2005 Model. It has (apparently) the same problem. I must admit, I messed up the "decent tune-up" on the Breva a bit. I messed around with both of the bypass screws, and one should only mess around with one, as I learned afterwards. :wacko:

Anyway, disregarding that for a minute: since it has got cooler here (autumn...), the Breva runs extremely badly in exactly that 2.800 - 3.100 r.p.m. range.

I reckon it's probably a conspiracy. Luigi doesn't like cold weather (understandably...), and consequently didn't spend enough time setting up the motor for cooler conditions. Or something like that ... :whistle:

• Like 1

Haha, well, I recall an anecdote of a dealer contacting the factory about a Guzzi running badly at 3200 rpm.

The factory replied that they were aware of the issue and would email the solution.

The solution?                                "Do not ride the motorcycle at 3200 rpm. "

• Like 1

3 hours ago, docc said:

Yeah, someday, I would like to smooth these corners out. Especially that ridiculous ignition advance in the low rpm at low throttle opening . . .

Messages%20Image(4016287376).png

If you load Meinolfs map it's done for you as is the fuel map. His advance is between 21-31 around the same area at 5.2 degrees T/A and 26-29 degrees at 36 degrees T/A @ 3200.That would be my suggestion. It's free to do.

Screenshot 2023-10-06 153204.png

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2