Steel V Titanium

Lucky Phil

Phil, I'm surprised not a single person commented about your vertical mill. I remember you mentioned on a post that you wanted one, but you defiantly went large. That doesn't look like some hobbyist mill. Three phase? Nice and shiny, not used and abused. That precision vise and rotary table your in deep. I can't wait to hear of all the great things that come from that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kevin_T said:

Phil, I'm surprised not a single person commented about your vertical mill. I remember you mentioned on a post that you wanted one, but you defiantly went large. That doesn't look like some hobbyist mill. Three phase? Nice and shiny, not used and abused. That precision vise and rotary table your in deep. I can't wait to hear of all the great things that come from that.

Yes I bought a mill. No point going small and limiting yourself. I want to be able to get a set of crankcases on there. Plenty of projects await. I also upgraded my lathe with a European style QC tool post and have a 2 axis DRO awaiting fitment. I have plenty to learn about using both but it's nice to have the ability to do a lot of things I previously had to put on the back burner. It's difficult to find people to machine stuff these days let alone do it right so this gives me some independence. I have a Centauro crank here that's had the pin reground to the first undersize. The pin has been ground tapered and with the wrong radius so the bearing shells rubs on the radius! 

Phil  

• Like 4

A digital read out is the best investment you can make to a machine tool. I can't tell if you have power feeds if not that would be next on my list. So, is Santa going to bring you a surface grinder for Christmas? Probably no limit to D.I.Y. projects you could do.

How'd you come by the Centauro crank? Not to have the correct radius is a testimony that should find another business. I mean if they put too big of a radius in the crank you could at least reduce the width of the big end shells. Now too small is just dangerous.

23 hours ago, Kevin_T said:

A digital read out is the best investment you can make to a machine tool. I can't tell if you have power feeds if not that would be next on my list. So, is Santa going to bring you a surface grinder for Christmas? Probably no limit to D.I.Y. projects you could do.

How'd you come by the Centauro crank? Not to have the correct radius is a testimony that should find another business. I mean if they put too big of a radius in the crank you could at least reduce the width of the big end shells. Now too small is just dangerous.

The lathe does on the cross and carriage. The mill does on the X and I'll retro fit on the Z along with a Z DRO I have already so I will have 3 axis DRO on the Mill. A TIG is my next purchase I think.

Bought from a member here. Not his fault he was parting it out for a friend and wasn't to know. I can rescue it I think if I can find a good crank grinder. That crank is for a 95mm bore Daytona engine.

Phil

IMG_3329.JPG

IMG_3331.JPG

The original Bitubo damper had failed. I had the Ohlins damper laying around but not the bracket. The original V11 Ohlins bracket I couldn't find anywhere for sale so I acquired the Ducabike item then made the fittings from Ti. Didn't make the Ti bolt and nut though. Made the HDPE  washer to control the spherical bearing movement.

Phil 

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

I carried out a few updates to my lathe I've had for 20 years or so. European style QC tool holder, a high accuracy chuck and a 2 axis DRO. The QC tool holder and DRO will make using the lathe a whole lot nicer.

Phil

image.png

image.png

• Like 2