Formotion? perhaps, but not for motion on a Guzzi....

I purchased a set of Formotion dial gauges for my Le Mans in 2021.

I installed them as shown below:

Formotion Temp and Clock installation

Both were mounted on a metallic boss; on the first outing, the clock dial sheared from its support.

For my last ride, I thought it would be useful to be able to read the temperature while in motion, instead of carrying the thermometer in my tail bag as I did up to now.

Saturday I reinstalled the right bracket, this time on a rubber mount, to absorb the vibrations;

For 700 miles, it worked. But suddenly, as I wanted to check the temperature, the thermometer decided to have a motion of its own. The temperature dial sheared from its support. It seems the design is a bit flimsy for something that should withstand subdued vibrations.

I am going to report it to Formotion, but I don't think those gauges are Guzzi suitable.

Formotion Temperature Gauge side viewFormotion Temperature Gauge Front view20220625 102degF at ride's target

• Thanks 1

I am no engineer, but that bracket looks like a formula for transmitting, maybe even amplifying, vibration . . .

Having long added a timepiece to my bike's gauge cluster, I never could go for the Formation option. Partly because of the size (larger than I prefer), but mostly because of mounting .

• Like 1

Yes. Don't know about "amplifying", but it is bound to have a resonance frequency. If that happens to match a common engine speed on the guzzi, then the thing is on the way to self-destruction.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, audiomick said:

Yes. Don't know about "amplifying", but it is bound to have a resonance frequency. If that happens to match a common engine speed on the guzzi, then the thing is on the way to self-destruction.

Yeah, yeah . . . that's what I meant to say . . . :nerd: 

:bier:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I found another brand that seem to sell better quality instruments and brackets.

It will post about it as soon as I have received the thermometer and clock with the mounts.

Their instruments glow in the dark, unlike Formotion ones, and you can also change the battery yourself on the clock...

They sell Oil gauges too....:)

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...