Speedometer Help

dbarb3

Did a search and got a thousand posts

Trying to troubleshoot speedometer, MPH nor either odometer is working, tach works fine..  I unscrwed cable from ispeedometer end and cranked engine, it soes not turn, does that indicate cable issue. Just getting started on it and trying to save some steps if psssible.

A broken cable is the most common issue with the cable driven stock speedometer. But to check the cable you need to do more than remove the cable from the speedometer and crank the engine over. An easy test is to remove the cable from both the transmission and from the speedometer. Then you can check to make sure the cable is not broken. Also make sure that one end isn't broken off. It is easy for the end of the cable to break off and not be noticed.

• Like 1

If you remove the cable, be careful with it. The inner part of the cable that spins is not fixed inside the cable and can slide out. Not a problem if it does slide out, just be careful as you don't want it to fall out and get damaged when you weren't expecting it. Not a problem if you slide it out in a controlled way to verify the cable is not broken inside.

3 hours ago, dbarb3 said:

Did a search and got a thousand posts

Trying to troubleshoot speedometer, MPH nor either odometer is working, tach works fine..  I unscrwed cable from ispeedometer end and cranked engine, it soes not turn, does that indicate cable issue. Just getting started on it and trying to save some steps if psssible.

In all of my white face Veglia speedometer tribulations, I never had a broken cable. Lots of issues with the lower angle drive at the gearbox, though.

Kneel down on the right side of the bike and inspect the angle drive, especially for the presence, or absence, of the metal disc that holds the drive gear in place. 

I can post images of that later if helpful......

[edit: Here is a link to a post:

I recently chased similar problems. Upon reassemble with new parts, it still did not work …then it did.

It seems they lock into each other rather obvious, but I repeatedly didn't have them fully engaged, thus not working. I ended up replacing both 60° gear units and the cable during my troubleshooting, it was actually the speedo-side gear that was broken. Keep at it, you'll figure it out.

• Like 1

Any way to lube that stuff when its out? I have always used DriSlide for cables, still have a can from the 80's with a bit in it. To my surprise, they still sell it today. Good product.

16 hours ago, activpop said:

Any way to lube that stuff when its out? I have always used DriSlide for cables, still have a can from the 80's with a bit in it. To my surprise, they still sell it today. Good product.

You sure can. I placed grease in each gear drive, as well as a few drops of lube into the cable.

• Like 1