Tank gouging by fairing support

p6x

To remove the valves cover, on the Le Mans, the two screws at the back also hold a support bracket for the fairing.

I noticed the tank is being abraded where it contacts the support.

It may only be specific to my motorcycle, since I lean on the tank to tuck myself behind the screen.

I think I am going to glue some rubber on the two places where the metal touches the tank.

Anyone else had the same issue with a Le Mans or any V11 with the front fairing?

Tank gouging

That's nothin', the retaining screw at that location was so long on mine it was wearing into the tank!:o 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, guzziart said:

That's nothin', the retaining screw at that location was so long on mine it was wearing into the tank!:o 

I checked;

The retaining screw is the proper length.

The tank directly rubs on the support bracket. Only on the left hand side. The right side is fine.

I dropped the bike on that side after I got it. I am wondering if the fuel in the tank could have some hammer effect and bent the support. But it is clearly the support, not the screw.

I need to do something about it in any case.

6 hours ago, p6x said:

The tank directly rubs on the support bracket. Only on the left hand side. The right side is fine.

Mine doesn't rub, but the bracket on the left is closer to the tank than on the right.  I think it might have to do with the left cylinder being further back than the right, but I didn't have enough time to have a really close look at it after I noticed the "problem".

I have been informed by someone who really knows what he is talking about that there can be problems with contact between fairing, sidecovers and tank, and ensuing wear and tear. He suggested a thick washer or two under the rear mount of the tank to raise it a couple of millimeters. I haven't had a really close look yet to see exactly what it will acheive, but the first glance indicated that this might be a really good idea.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, audiomick said:

Mine doesn't rub, but the bracket on the left is closer to the tank than on the right.  I think it might have to do with the left cylinder being further back than the right, but I didn't have enough time to have a really close look at it after I noticed the "problem".

I have been informed by someone who really knows what he is talking about that there can be problems with contact between fairing, sidecovers and tank, and ensuing wear and tear. He suggested a thick washer or two under the rear mount of the tank to raise it a couple of millimeters. I haven't had a really close look yet to see exactly what it will acheive, but the first glance indicated that this might be a really good idea.

Yes commonly done. On my bike the bush is about 15mm high but my fwd tank mounts have been raised 38mm. A 2 valve V11 would be less. Keeps the tank sides off the side covers.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, audiomick said:

I have been informed by someone who really knows what he is talking about

hmmm..... you probably meant EVERYBODY participating to this forum, right??? right!!

Indeed, it occurred to me the left cylinder position could also have something to do with it, and I was wondering about neoprene to protect the tank, or a spacer to tip it up.

Now, tipping up the tank may have some hidden consequences too...

I took off my seat to check the tank's fastener and found it unscrewed. The head was clearly off the large washer, allowing the tank to move laterally.

I guess this was the root cause of the problem as when I removed the fairing to change the head lamp, I did not notice anything wrong with the tank being armed by the support on the left side.

Don't know how that screw could become that loose.

• Like 2

On 9/2/2023 at 6:06 PM, Tomchri said:

IT'S A GUZZI :grin:

Cheers Tom.

I have removed that seat several times before I fixed my no start issue.

That screw was never loose.

When I got my tires changed earlier this year, I requested an air filter clean.

Then my left admission boot slips its admission pipe, and the screw that holds the tank is 5mm up..... Guzzi or not, it feels strange. Anyway, now I am going to have to get that tank gouges filled and repainted.