Rear shock: which way round?

audiomick

I had the shock out to be serviced, and now am usure which way around it was mounted.

It seemed to me that the shaft end with the aluminium eye wouldn't fit in the mounting position in the swing arm, and the hose to the reservoir lies fairly well with the shock mounted the way it is now, so this is how it went in.

Is this the "right" way around?

Das it actually matter which way round the shock is mounted?

large.Sachs_shock_orientierung_3.jpg

large.Sachs_shock_orientierung_2.jpg

large.Sachs_shock_orientierung_1.jpg

16 minutes ago, docc said:

Grease ... liberally...the pivot bolt for the reaction rod where it connects to the frame . . .

That's done. I was pleased to discover, after having seen some unsettling pictures here, that that bolt on mine looks good as new, and was well greased as if someone had at some point actually done some maintainance on the bike. :o

As far as the pivots on the shock go, as mentioned, I'll be getting another go at them. :whistle:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Why docc? you mean for corrosion protection?

Phil

Yes. Reports of shock eye failure, at the swingarm, go way back. More recently, reports of bolt failures at the reaction rod/frame junction on earliest V11 sport before Moto Guzzi superseded the bolt.

Both are oft overlooked maintenance items, it seems . . .

• Like 2

11 hours ago, docc said:

Fitting the shock with the body and spring at the frame side better manages the "unsprung weight" business, yes?

large.Sachs_shock_orientierung_3.jpg.f7f

IMG_3698.jpg

Interesting thought that docc- but man there’s already so much weight back there.. … Can you put helium in a tyre?

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, GuzziMoto said:

Burnouts = Good

Now that we are all grown up and have become responsible, we know that this is not really true, don't we (Dorothy...)?

But I used to be pretty good at this when I had one of those bikes B)

1 hour ago, audiomick said:

Now that we are all grown up and have become responsible, we know that this is not really true, don't we (Dorothy...)?

But I used to be pretty good at this when I had one of those bikes B)

Or this classic

• Like 2
  • Haha 3