ID these parts

fotoguzzi

No, I'm really curious. In Germany you need an ABE or a Teilegutachten for after-market pegs. In fact, just about the only thing you can bolt on to a motorcycle without one or the other of those is luggage or a luggage-rack.

I'm currently trying to find out if there is a way to get different handlebars registered on my Breva 750. There are lots of clip-ons available with adequate paperwork, but there is not much space between the fork leg and the headlight bracket, so they mostly, or all, wont work.

The V7 Racer had clip-ons. Not particularly exciting clip-ons: non-adjustable and steel, but they would get my hands where I want to have them, and they should fit. The V7 has the same diameter forks, and the same headlight bracket. I.e., must fit. The V7 is also generally close to identical to the Breva apart from the bodywork and tank.

The information that I currently have is that using the V7 OEM clip-ons on the Breva is effectively impossible because as an OEM part they don't have the appropriate papers that an "accessory part" needs. I'm working on it, but the absurdity of the situation is annoying the crap out of me.

I know that Victoria at least used to be very relaxed about that sort of business. I swapped around exhaust pipes and bars on the Z900 without thinking twice about it, and fitted whatever tyres in approximately the right size that the shop happened to have in stock.

Germany doesn't work that way. I don't expect that the USA are anywhere near as strict as Germany, but I'm curious to know how strict. :huh2:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, audiomick said:

No, I'm really curious. In Germany you need an ABE or a Teilegutachten for after-market pegs. In fact, just about the only thing you can bolt on to a motorcycle without one or the other of those is luggage or a luggage-rack.

I'm currently trying to find out if there is a way to get different handlebars registered on my Breva 750. There are lots of clip-ons available with adequate paperwork, but there is not much space between the fork leg and the headlight bracket, so they mostly, or all, wont work.

The V7 Racer had clip-ons. Not particularly exciting clip-ons: non-adjustable and steel, but they would get my hands where I want to have them, and they should fit. The V7 has the same diameter forks, and the same headlight bracket. I.e., must fit. The V7 is also generally close to identical to the Breva apart from the bodywork and tank.

The information that I currently have is that using the V7 OEM clip-ons on the Breva is effectively impossible because as an OEM part they don't have the appropriate papers that an "accessory part" needs. I'm working on it, but the absurdity of the situation is annoying the crap out of me.

I know that Victoria at least used to be very relaxed about that sort of business. I swapped around exhaust pipes and bars on the Z900 without thinking twice about it, and fitted whatever tyres in approximately the right size that the shop happened to have in stock.

Germany doesn't work that way. I don't expect that the USA are anywhere near as strict as Germany, but I'm curious to know how strict. :huh2:

I know you were serious Mick, I know the draconian German rules I was just joking with you. NSW had yearly registration inspection requirements for cars over 3 years old and it was sold as a way of improving safety. Victoria has never had yearly inspections and the mechanical quality of Victorian cars is no worse than NSW cars. It's not like here there is a noticeable percentage of heaps of shit driving around our roads, nope. No headlines about tragedies caused by mechanical failures. So after living in NSW for 45 years and Victoria for 20 it's obvious the yearly inspection requirements are just another draconian way to cost the motorist money and impose nanny state rules on people. The Germans take it to another level though and I seriously don't know how the average earning Motorcycle or car enthusiast tolerates it. All the high end enthusiasts are fine because they can afford the massively expensive "TUV approved" accessories although I don't know how some of them can be approved when you hear them here on the roads. I'm now beginning to like the Harley riders getting around with straight pipes and riding flat out everywhere. They make the rest of us with sensible although illegal mufflers on their bikes fly under the radar. It's a finger up to the authorities. The cops never bother them anyway. None of the bikes I own now and very few in the past have ever had std mufflers and as for other mods well I'd be here all day. Can you imagine riding a Bevel drive Ducati around with the std Lafranconi mufflers the later ones were approved with? First thing that went on the shelf were those and the Contis fitted rules or no rules, EPA roadside inspection or not I wasn't riding my Hailwood Ducati around with the original shit Lafranconis on it.

We have proud history here of fighting stupid rules like the mandatory headlights ON, the front number plate rule they tried to impose, the illegality of bikes with dual headlights like the Ducati 916 the list goes on. Proudly recalcitrant me.

Phil

Depends on the police officer who pulls you over.

Some really have no idea, but there are some who know bikes.

That's only a part of the problem, though. Perhaps more serious is what can happen if you have an accident.

Assume you get cleaned up by a bloke in a Porsche / Ferrari / Maserati, whatever. Some rich prick in an expensive car who can afford a smart-arse laywer. We're assuming the rich prick was 100% at fault. And his car is broken. His fault, but never mind, and never mind what your bike looks like and what injuries you might have.

He gets his lawyer on the plan, and the lawyer and rich prick's insurance decide that an insurance appraiser needs to look at your (broken) bike to "protect their interest" and assess the damage that rich prick has done to your bike. The appraiser knows what he's looking at. Always. If he can establish that the handlebar is not original and not legal, suddenly the whole accident is your fault because you were on a bike on the street that wasn't street legal and therefore shouldn't have been on the street, and you get to pay for the damage to rich prick's Porsche/ Ferrari/ whatever, not to mention your own damages, even though the accident was entirely rich prick's fault. :unsure:

The reasons that it is so strict here:

The insurance companies in Germany have far too much to say. Very unfortunate, but that's life. Live with it, or live somewhere else. :huh2:

More importantly, and regarding why everything that you bolt on to your bike has to have a piece of paper attached: that is the other side of the coin of being able to drive as fast as the vehicle can possibly go on a very large percentage of the Autobahn. If you're going to hammer your vehicle for what it is worth, it has to be in good order. The strict regulations are the government's way of keeping the lemmings alive. ;)

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, fotoguzzi said:

If I was you Mick I’d be moving to the states pretty darn quick.

You haven't heard the half of it. Get Mick to relate the recent new noise laws in a particularly nice part of Germany frequented by a lot of weekend motorcyclists that are so draconian even the local Polices can't use their Ducati police bikes because their std mufflers are too loud. 

One of the German members on the Royal Enfield forum happened to mention how when he rides his 650 twin around he "just naturally" turns the engine off at every set of traffic lights or stop sign etc and restarts again to move off. "Just like modern cars do automatically!" Needless to say people were flabbergasted at this "environmentally concerned madness". Imagine on your V11 where every start irrespective of the engine temp or OAT the ECU gives you the start enrichment trim for 4000 revolutions. Your saving the planet shut the engine off at every set of lights is actually creating more pollution than leaving it running not to mention the engine oil cooking itself around the exhaust ports because the oil flow has stopped and the oil now heat soaks from the heads causing future engine issues. Crazy dumb stuff going on out there these days and I don't think it's a particularly a German issue more a Europe/EU issue. Unfortunately we are getting dragged down the same path by politicians.   

Phil

• Like 4

1 hour ago, audiomick said:

Nobody has answered fotoguzzi's question yet, and we're getting a long way away from it... :whistle:

They do appear to be some sort of footpeg relocation brackets, as mentioned. They look like they bolt to the porkchops and give you a more forward place to attach the foot pegs.

That’s true.. I guess no one knows what they are . I don’t think they are Guzzi at all. Another thought was bar risers for a BMW? I just scored a load of NOS  Guzzi parts and some BMW stuff is mixed in.

it will take some time to inventory all the stuff and it’s mostly older than V11 but when I get organized I’ll post a spread sheet of parts and sell for very reasonable price..more as a service to Guzzi folk than a profit maker.  lots of rubber bushings, seals and a gazillion small parts, nuts and bolts etc. I did see a red pork chop but don’t remember what side and a front fender from the red 2002 Lemans and/or a Rosso Mandello.

2023092507462191--204126957150428163-600

2023092507462191-2315874547350507214-600

also got myself a 1975 Eldorado

2023092507515698--129149318758886674-600

• Like 6