Unexpected adventure with brand disloyalty

Pressureangle

So, I have this maniacal Canadian friend who lives in Maine. He bought an '04 BMW GSA. Then he found another, price so low it was theft due to a tank full of water. So he 'bought it for me'. 'Come get it whenever you can, pay me whenever'. So after a year of telling him he could triple his money on it, he still insists it's mine; He planned a trip to Ohio with a few other friends, and since I was going to Ohio anyway there was no avoiding it. Flew to Maine, rode it back to Florida. Never saw an inch of interstate, about 3k miles worth of secondary and back roads. I forgot to record some of it, but here are the links to the parts I did. 

https://www.relive.cc/view/v36AxYYm7GO

https://www.relive.cc/view/vRO78Mk2oy6

https://www.relive.cc/view/vPOpr5L7XRq

https://www.relive.cc/view/v8qkpzj1n3v

https://www.relive.cc/view/vNOPQkLppY6

• Like 6

The big GS is super competent motorcycle. And almost as fun as a Stelvio. I hope you enjoy it. Looks like a good trip (it's almost always a good trip if you avoid the main highways).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Scud said:

The big GS is super competent motorcycle. And almost as fun as a Stelvio. I hope you enjoy it. Looks like a good trip (it's almost always a good trip if you avoid the main highways).

A big change from the 'Sport. Super tall, monkey motion front end with no dive took a minute, power brakes I'm still not sure I like. But I have to admit it's comfortable (though it has risers and aftermarket bars, tough on the shoulders) and from 0-50mph it's a terror on tight pavement where the 'Sport likes higher speeds. I'm not sure who thought it was a good idea to put 550 pounds and 8 gallons of gas on a Giraffe, but I did make it down one horror of a gravel 'road' without much event. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Being on that reminds me of the time I tried to stand on a high chair (YES a high chair) to change a ceiling light bulb . It did NOT end well . 

A buddy of mine had a GS for one summer and your description is a good one !

BTW: if you haven't changed the plastic fuel line quick disconnect , do it NOW before you get a lower leg / boot full of gasoline !

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, gstallons said:

BTW: if you haven't changed the plastic fuel line quick disconnect , do it NOW before you get a lower leg / boot full of gasoline !

It's been apparently well-attended wrt upgrades/maintenance. There's a quick disconnect in the spares- I haven't looked to see if it's a take-out or a what-if.
The rear drive did crap out the main bearing right on schedule, though. Replaced at about 40k miles, now 91k. "They fail because they're too tight. If it failed and you replace it with the same preload, it will certainly fail again". So I bought a replacement on eBay and I'll have a crack at rebuilding this one myself. 

G'day

When helping out at one of our branches recently, I bumped into one of the customers I've known for many years.

He's just bought another new GS1250 Trophy at $32,500 worth down here.He loves all the bells and whistles it comes with and by God does it come with them....!

My concern would be what would the electronics be like when the bike has 100,000 kays plus?

I doubt it'll get to that all the same but it's bloody hilarious when comparing this thing with the V11.

Definitely chalk and cheese but as he says if you were to do a lap of Oz this would be the bike to do it on.   

Cheers 

Ps still rather do the lap on an old T3 though ha ha 

• Like 6

Wow, I totally missed the fact that BMW was putting power (servo-assist units) brakes on motorcycles. That must be weird, but BMW has been a true leader in the industry on many occasions, including the enormous ABS units on the early K-bikes. 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 9:11 AM, Pressureangle said:

It's been apparently well-attended wrt upgrades/maintenance. There's a quick disconnect in the spares- I haven't looked to see if it's a take-out or a what-if.
The rear drive did crap out the main bearing right on schedule, though. Replaced at about 40k miles, now 91k. "They fail because they're too tight. If it failed and you replace it with the same preload, it will certainly fail again". So I bought a replacement on eBay and I'll have a crack at rebuilding this one myself. 

Mmmmm. to the best of my knowledge , the original large roller bearing is the problem and the upgraded bearing has more rollers and is supposed to be "the cure" .

On 10/11/2023 at 12:46 AM, Scud said:

Wow, I totally missed the fact that BMW was putting power (servo-assist units) brakes on motorcycles. That must be weird, but BMW has been a true leader in the industry on many occasions, including the enormous ABS units on the early K-bikes. 

BMW has too many nutty professors on their staff , These guys are going berserk w/too much technology  on their cars and bikes. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gstallons said:

Mmmmm. to the best of my knowledge , the original large roller bearing is the problem and the upgraded bearing has more rollers and is supposed to be "the cure" .

Seems to me that even an upgraded ball bearing isn't the whole answer, when angular race ball bearings are available in this size, and in high quality. I'm going to try it out, as I have a spare final drive. Seems too easy. 

On 10/9/2023 at 3:50 PM, guzzler said:

My concern would be what would the electronics be like when the bike has 100,000 kays plus?

Iirc up here in Canada,dealers are charging up to $10K+ for work on BMW's servo brake system if it involves major parts replacement.

Owners seem to trade the bikes in just before the warranty runs out 3-4-5? yrs and take a beating on the resale price 

I "think" I've read of work arounds to eliminate the servo system with standard parts for under $1K?

Smooth mile munchers,but I'd break into a sweat thinking about wrestling with it in the garage :grin: 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 80CX100 said:

Iirc up here in Canada,dealers are charging up to $10K+ for work on BMW's servo brake system if it involves major parts replacement.

Owners seem to trade the bikes in just before the warranty runs out 3-4-5? yrs and take a beating on the resale price 

I "think" I've read of work arounds to eliminate the servo system with standard parts for under $1K?

Smooth mile munchers,but I'd break into a sweat thinking about wrestling with it in the garage :grin: 

Seems most of the servo problems are caused/resolved by properly maintaining/flushing the system which is directed to happen every 2 years, a bit of a PITA. My plan should the servo fail is to trash the entire system and just pipe the masters to the calipers. Not like that's rocket science. Part of lessons learned early, is try to end your rides at the end of the gas tank. Don't park it full. Another demon while bulldogging is the brakes; without the servo active, the lever moves 2/3 of it's travel before braking and takes x10 more effort. It tends to roll away while you're trying to find your balance.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 6:44 AM, Pressureangle said:

Another demon while bulldogging is the brakes; without the servo active, the lever moves 2/3 of it's travel before braking and takes x10 more effort. It tends to roll away while you're trying to find your balance.

Oh wow, that would be bothersome. Does it feel somewhat like using car brakes without the engine running?  I do that sometimes in my truck in my sloped driveway, and it is slow to stop.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scud said:

Oh wow, that would be bothersome. Does it feel somewhat like using car brakes without the engine running?  I do that sometimes in my truck in my sloped driveway, and it is slow to stop.

Just so. One has to have it in mind beforehand or chase it like the horse it is.

• Like 1

Picked up a new 03 BMW R1100 S  Randy Mamola edt with el-hydral brakes. Superb brakes. Bike still in the family with 76000km, no problem. BUT changing b fluid, thats quite a job..

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1