Moto Guzzi V85 TT "Evocative"

p6x

I really like the livrée of this V85 TT; possibly the next best thing to a 1200 Stelvio; what I don't get, is why it can't be had in the new "Travel" version which is exclusively sold in "grey"? I suppose you can purchase the accessories separately.

Moto Guzzi V85 TT Evocative

4 minutes ago, p6x said:

I suppose you can purchase the accessories separately.

That is probably exactly what the marketing department is aiming for. The company earns much more on accssories than it does on standard equipment. The "premium" car manufacturers having been following those tactics for decades. :huh2:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, audiomick said:

That is probably exactly what the marketing department is aiming for. The company earns much more on accssories than it does on standard equipment. The "premium" car manufacturers having been following those tactics for decades. :huh2:

Thank god, motorcycles will never be able to reach the same level of nonsense as cars!!!!

Although I heard that BMW has abandoned the accessories that are subscription activated, such as the heated seats, I think many cars have features that require monthly installments to become available. The feeding frenzy has no limit. That and the junk"fees" everywhere. I don't know if you have them in Europe, I don't think you do, or if you have, not as much as here.

8 minutes ago, p6x said:

the junk"fees" everywhere. I don't know if you have them in Europe, I don't think you do, or if you have, not as much as here.

I don't think so, but I haven't looked into the pricing on new vehicles for years, as I'll probably never be able to afford one. :huh2:

15 minutes ago, audiomick said:

I don't think so, but I haven't looked into the pricing on new vehicles for years, as I'll probably never be able to afford one. :huh2:

These "junk fees" are not usually seen on car sales.

It is a way for companies to hide the true cost of their services. I am sure you have heard about the so-called "resort" fee that hotels are charging. It initiated in Las Vegas, but has now spread to many other hotels. Basically, if you are looking at booking a room, you will be presented with a room price, but at check out time, after you have spent time to compile the compulsory information they now want you to enter, then, and only then, they show you the additional fees. It makes it hard for you to be able to make an educated choice, because they don't tell you what the final cost will be until the very last moment in the transaction.

They are very creative with the labeling of these fees; in Las Vegas, the "resort fee" includes access to the hotel amenities, even if you are not using them or if they should be included in the room price. Then the convenience fees, handling fees such as when you pay for parking in Houston, using your phone. Paying with your phone incurs a "convenience" fee, even if the Parking company does not offer any other way to pay so you have no choice. Anyway, the worse are the "tips" which have completely gotten out of control since "SQUARE" has replaced the cash registers.

10 hours ago, p6x said:

These "junk fees" are not usually seen on car sales.

It is a way for companies to hide the true cost of their services. I am sure you have heard about the so-called "resort" fee that hotels are charging. It initiated in Las Vegas, but has now spread to many other hotels. Basically, if you are looking at booking a room, you will be presented with a room price, but at check out time, after you have spent time to compile the compulsory information they now want you to enter, then, and only then, they show you the additional fees. It makes it hard for you to be able to make an educated choice, because they don't tell you what the final cost will be until the very last moment in the transaction.

They are very creative with the labeling of these fees; in Las Vegas, the "resort fee" includes access to the hotel amenities, even if you are not using them or if they should be included in the room price. Then the convenience fees, handling fees such as when you pay for parking in Houston, using your phone. Paying with your phone incurs a "convenience" fee, even if the Parking company does not offer any other way to pay so you have no choice. Anyway, the worse are the "tips" which have completely gotten out of control since "SQUARE" has replaced the cash registers.

p6x,

I've got a Guzzi buddy who has owned both the 21 Travel (20k miles) and a 23 blue V85 Evocative version (5k miles). The only thing he would have liked from the travel version is the heated grips and they aren't hot when turned on high. More importantly, he likes the stock cases better than the ones offered on the Travel version. Lastly, the screens are almost always changed or altered to the riders liking so the stock tall "travel" windscreen may or may not be a plus.

• Like 1

My 2 cents: I purchased a 2022 Guardia d Onore V85 (The black and white Oreo bike), because it came with all the nice to have items (center stand, tall windscreen, fog lamps and a full aluminum case set).  Just these items would set you back about $1500 to add on if bought separately.  My dealer advised me to avoid the heated grips and especially the "MIA" Guzzi  add on to link your phone to the dash display.   I added a set of Oxford brand heated grips to the stock wiring loom, so they runs off the Guzzi switch gear. Much cheaper and more effective than the stock MG grips.  I use a Zumo XT for route finding, so that takes the place of the problematic MG MIA set up.  

I'll say its a decent bike, but doesn't have the push, or soul, of my V11 Le Mans.  Its good to about 80mph and then it starts running out of gas, but the upright riding position, handling and gear carrying capability is nice for certain longer rides. The wind turbulence is ridiculous on the stock bikes....small tornados come up the tank cut outs for the front suspension and the windscreen seems to be designed to funnel buffeting.  Its one of the biggest complaints, but I have worked it out to a decent level with an add on top scooter wind screen, home made "mouse ear" wind deflectors on the tank, additional raised hand guards and front headlight guard...... My LeMans fairing is a lot better at cutting smoothly through the wind.   

I agree that the Evocative "Captain America" is a great looking color scheme!

• Like 2

On 10/13/2023 at 7:08 AM, Joe said:

p6x,

I've got a Guzzi buddy who has owned both the 21 Travel (20k miles) and a 23 blue V85 Evocative version (5k miles). The only thing he would have liked from the travel version is the heated grips and they aren't hot when turned on high. More importantly, he likes the stock cases better than the ones offered on the Travel version. Lastly, the screens are almost always changed or altered to the riders liking so the stock tall "travel" windscreen may or may not be a plus.

This is the second time that I read about the heated grips not being "hot enough" even on the higher setting. I would probably not be able to judge since I have never had a motorcycle with heated grips. Mind you, here in Texas, they are not completely necessary, save for the few days when we have below 0/32 degrees, and not even every year.

To me, the windscreen is almost essential because of the gusty winds you often find in west Texas. While you can wear earplugs to alleviate the noise, depending on wind direction, it may be physically tiring on the neck muscles. I know that being able to tuck myself behind the Le Mans fairing really alleviate the problem.

I have now seen many Stelvio with the stock screen replaced by a California Scientific, which offers a better protection for those of us taller.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, droydx said:

I'll say its a decent bike, but doesn't have the push, or soul, of my V11 Le Mans.  I

I agree that the Evocative "Captain America" is a great looking color scheme!

In all fairness, I don't think any of the newer model motorcycles can beat the feeling of riding an older one. Hence, the reason why some manufacturers are producing modern motorcycles based on the older looking ones. The Kawasaki 900 being one example.

IMHO, the 1200 Stelvio has more appeal than the V85TT...

28 minutes ago, p6x said:

In all fairness, I don't think any of the newer model motorcycles can beat the feeling of riding an older one. Hence, the reason why some manufacturers are producing modern motorcycles based on the older looking ones. The Kawasaki 900 being one example.

IMHO, the 1200 Stelvio has more appeal than the V85TT...

P6x, you may be a good candidate for a V100 Stelvio with more power. From what I’m gathering from many different friends with the V85tt. They all generally complain about the stock wind issues & low ish power. But the overall low seat height, weight & power make for an interesting combo with an approachable upright seating position that they swear by as a great bike to travel on. 

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

P6x, you may be a good candidate for a V100 Stelvio with more power. From what I’m gathering from many different friends with the V85tt. They all generally complain about the stock wind issues & low ish power. But the overall low seat height, weight & power make for an interesting combo with an approachable upright seating position that they swear by as a great bike to travel on. 

I know, I should be... the people at Iron Supply Powersports have been trying to convince me to get a Triumph Tiger GT Explorer since I told them I was looking for a Stelvio and a Quota.

But I really like the older motorcycles, and I feel a lot of affinity with the 1200 NTX....

• Like 1