Shock fitment differences

alannn

1 hour ago, motortouring said:

So no stability problems with the longer shock :D

I think I am going to order the long Wilbers for my red frame as well.

I've had a Wilbers on my bike for 10 years. I must have recommended these at least a dozen times here over the years. Ignored I am Ignored:P

• Haha 3

I know a Ducati tech, he was gracious and set the SAG on my V7 many years ago. When doing so, he commented about the adjustability of the Wilbers, he was impressed. He said it was highly adjustable, small turns made large calibrations, allowing him to really dial it in precise. 

12 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

I've had a Wilbers on my bike for 10 years. I must have recommended these at least a dozen times here over the years. Ignored I am Ignored:P

Sorry that it took me so much time to follow your advice. ;)

But, I have a full monty stereo set on a LeMans 3. That was an absurd improvement. I changed a few other things, but stability is endless. Whatever you do in the corners, it stays on its path like on rails.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Nah mate, I bought one for my bike based on your recommendation. I just didn't say thanks.  So thanks. :thumbsup:

• Like 5

I agree with MartynZ.

Great confessions, and such deserved, although late, appreciation and recognition. It must be a warm and Lucky day for you, Phil. 

• Like 2

On 1/10/2024 at 8:28 AM, docc said:

With the 5.5 mm  longer shock on my ShortFrame Sport, the forks are raised 5mm. With my spring selections and "sags" (30% front/25% rear), I found this all a sweet spot. :wub:

As @GuzziMoto said, more fork raise was not better (for my set-up)......

@docc the 25% sag, how much is this in mm on the shock absorber? .. Approx.

5 hours ago, motortouring said:

Rear suspension travel should be around 128mm. So, 20 - 30 % of that. For doccs 25% it would be 32mm of sag with you on the bike from fully extended.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, motortouring said:

I am not sure what my rear suspension travel actually is with the Öhlins MG 127/ 46 HRCS with 1091/29-90 spring (90 N/mm). The shock stroke is stated as 70mm, but I am not sure the suspension travel would be "doubl-ish" that. :huh2:

Looking at my notes from 2007,  my sags are set 25mm rear/ 32mm front. I do recall selecting the percentages based on 4"/100mm of suspension travel, but now cannot find a reference for suspension travel in any of the Moto Guzzi literature (Owner's Manual, Workshop Manual,or Sales Brochure). :huh:

FWIW, my fork springs are Traxxion Dynamics 1.0 kg/mm, raised 5mm in the triple clamps), 120mm spacers. Fork oil selected by centiStokes (BelRay 5wt= 17.01 cSt).

Just a reminder, this is a ShortFrame Sport with ~165 pound/ 75 kg rider wearing thirty pounds/ 14 kg of gear with some twenty-five pounds/ 11 kg of load out in the Tekno panniers. Riding like a jackrabbit on hot lava . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I did just edit my post regarding the 100mm/4" suspension travel I based my sags on. Yet, I cannot find a reference for V11 suspension travel. :huh2:

Maybe I read it in a period magazine article. Does anyone see the stated travel reference in the Moto Guzzi literature?

Edits:

Motorcycle Consumer News, September 2001, lists the front and rear suspension at 4.72" and 3.75" ( I get 120mm/ 95mm from that).

Cycle World, August 2002, states the "Claimed Wheel Travel" of the Sport Scura is 4.7 in. front/ 5.0 in. rear. While in October 2001 they said the 2002 LeMans was 4.7/4.9.

A longer shock can change the total travel of the rear suspension, but it does not always do so. It can mean that the shock is simply longer with the same amount of travel.

Whether it is 128mm, 120mm, or even 100mm, the sag number is not going to change that much. Using 25% sag, the difference between 128mm of rear suspension travel vs the other extreme of 100mm of rear suspension travel gives us a sag of 32mm vs a sag of 25mm. So, even between those two extremes the difference is only 7mm of sag. To each their own, but I would not worry about that difference for a streetbike. To me that is over thinking it. If you split the difference you would undoubtedly be fine. I think you would be fine using any number in that range.

Set your sag, see how it feels, and adjust as desired.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, GuzziMoto said:

To me that is over thinking it. If you split the difference you would undoubtedly be fine. I think you would be fine using any number in that range.

Set your sag, see how it feels, and adjust as desired.

Say it ain't so! :nerd: :grin:

• Haha 2