weird electrical problem

igor

Hi everyone

I'm experiencing a weird electrical issue

When i try to use the horn , it doesn't work and bring my rpm arrow back to zero each time i try to activate the horn .

Any idea where it can come from ?

thanks for your help

Sitting here in my recliner.........Maybe a weak ground connection??!!  You could try grounding the horns separately to see if the condition changes to where it doesnt effect the tach function. idk.  I'm sure someone will be along soon to offer other ideas/fixes.

Art

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, guzziart said:

Sitting here in my recliner.........Maybe a weak ground connection??!!  You could try grounding the horns separately to see if the condition changes to where it doesnt effect the tach function. idk.  I'm sure someone will be along soon to offer other ideas/fixes.

Art

thanks . hope someone had the same sort of issue

The horn and tachometer get their power through Relay#2. On the early Sport this relay, in turn, gets the power from the weak contact of Relay#1.

If you have not done so already, replace the entire relay set with a "Best" High Current relay from Pickers Components, CIT, (or OMRON if you can find them):

Otherwise, check that your battery and charging voltages are adequate...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, docc said:

The horn and tachometer get their power through Relay#2. On the early Sport this relay, in turn, gets the power from the weak contact of Relay#1.

If you have not done so already, replace the entire relay set with a "Best" High Current relay from Pickers Components, CIT, (or OMRON if you can find them):

Relays, Ignition switch, Connectors, earths, R.I.C.E. The V11 Sport electrical troubleshooting guide.

Phil

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Relays, Ignition switch, Connectors, earths, R.I.C.E. The V11 Sport electrical troubleshooting guide.

Phil

Pretty sure "R.I.C.E" means something else in my line of work.....

What is that in electrical troubleshooting?

@igor

This morning, I read your post, and I thought it was really an odd problem. Nevertheless, as I was running errands, I decided to use my horn.

Instantly, my horn cut off, I lost my tachometer, my head beam, and I later discovered that the low oil pressure lamp was no longer lighting with the engine not running.

I thought that I must be that lucky, someone talks about it, and it immediately affects me.

Fortunately, I checked my fuse box, and discovered that where there should have been a 15 Amps fuse, there was only a 5 Amps one, and it was blown!

I don't think you have the same problem as I did, but just for being thorough, check your fuse....

It is the one with the head lamps icon.

Bonne chance!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, docc said:

Pretty sure "R.I.C.E" means something else in my line of work.....

What is that in electrical troubleshooting?

11 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Relays, Ignition switch, Connectors, Earths, R.I.C.E. The V11 Sport electrical troubleshooting guide.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, docc said:

thanks i'll check that out . i guess you can find the right values for the relay in the manual ?

3 hours ago, igor said:

i guess you can find the right values for the relay in the manual ?

Just go by trial and error; substitute the relay with another one which you know works.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, igor said:

thanks i'll check that out . i guess you can find the right values for the relay in the manual ?

The manual will be of no use. Open the January 26, 2017 link below and web search for the suggested relays:

• Like 1