Speedometer Help Again

dbarb3

As usual I jump to expensive conclusions with out doing the diagnostic work.

1. Speedometer started going all over place and quit, I figured cable without checking.  Purchased new cable and installed.   Wrong.

2. Figured without really testing that it was speedometer.   Found a new speedometer on ebay and installed. Wrong.

3. So I finally did the work and found that when I turn the cable at angle drive by hand it turns at speedo.

At this point do I reinstall  angle drive and how do I see if cable is turning at speedometer with angle drive attached?   Do I leave it unattached from speedo and ease motorcycle forward in gear and watch cable at speedo?  If cable doesnt turn when angle drive is installed, whats next. 

• Haha 1

The angle drive is a possible failure point. The gears inside the trans that drive the angle drive are much less likely to fail. You can just connect the cable directly to the output on the transmission. The cable has to make a more severe bend that the angle drive is alleviating. If the speedo works when hooked directly to the trans, you can take the angle drive apart and see what is wrong in it. It can be fixed in some cases.

• Like 2

Reference to the previous thread and replies:

While the failed angle drive is usually the one at the gearbox, remember there is an angle drive on the back of the speedometer, as well.

• Like 2

@dbarb3

This is my Quota's year 2000 Veglia Speedometer: Whoever had it before me installed a garden hose worm clamp on the connection to the instrument. Just below that, you recognize the angled drive.

That worm clamp may be a clue about what is wrong with your system?

Speedometer side Speedometer ID Speedometer front

One item I'll offer, having gone through this last year, insertion. After purchasing the parts and installing with no luck, I disassembled and reassembled numerous times. Eventually it worked, having fully seated. It seems straightforward however I must have not inserted it cleanly more times than not.

Since fitting securely, I've had no more trouble. fiddely things, they are.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

... I must have not inserted it cleanly more times than not...

It's a wide open door, but maybe better not to go there... :whistle: :grin:

• Haha 1

@dbarb3, I did want to bring your attention to this very specific, and common, failure of the lower angle drive where the brass mounting insert extracts itself from the body of the angle drive and the speedo needle wags, then quits:

IMG_0312.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Riddle seems to be solved  -   Angle Drive

But I still do not understand.. It turned by hand,  it turned by rolling motorcycle.   It turned cable going down road disconnected from speedo.  But when I connected cable to both different speedometers it would work for about 4 miles and start fluttering and quit.   No idea whats wrong with angle drive other than a new one seems to have corrected problem.  

• Like 3