fork seal replacement

mikev

On the ride home yesterday, I noticed my left front fork appears to be weeping a little bit.  Right one seems ok.  I've read thru some of the various threads about forks and will dig around for some 35mm film and see if I can reseat existing seal and get thru the season.  Looking for a tutorial or something that outlines the steps to replace the seals, what seals to buy, and any special tools needed, etc.  Will look thru the manual later tonight.

Fwiw, the 35mm negatives have worked great for me over the years but I've not yet tried it on inverted forks.  And, the film thing didn't work on my Wing last Fall so I bit the bullet and bought a Seal Doctor at RevZilla.  The Seal Doctor worked great!  It was hard to believe how much crap the Seal Doctor pulled out over and above what the 35mm film had removed.  While I do my best to routinely make sure my fork tubs are clean and free of bug goo & dirt, the newest bike I have now is in excess of 16 years old so if I do experience a fork leak that film or Seal Dr can't resolve, I really can't complain.

Also, FWIW, check this guy out....

• Like 3

I used SealMates on my Stelvio forks. They were leaking pretty good.  Lots of crud came out and now everything seems like it should be. So that either means the fork is out of oil or there is oil and I fixed it. Only thing I dont know is how much leaked out for the previous owner. I don't think you can check oil level with forks installed.  So if I take them out, new seals and wipers go in.

• Like 1

+ 1 on the SealMate!  :thumbsup:

IMG_4825.jpg

And the oil level can be checked with the forks mounted if you have a way to support the bike safely and let it down to fully compress the forks with the top caps off. This is by using the "air gap" method to determine fill level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It occurred to me to add, while the level can be checked in situ, the forks should be removed to change the oil. I have used a vacuum siphon to remove "most" of the oil for a pseudo-change, but is pretty shaved-ape, I admit . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

found this video over the weekend - its a bit long but goes thru the entire process on forks similar to V11

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

I considered Aliexpress seals when I rebuilt my last 43mm forks but considering what a PITA fork seal replacement is and the small saving you make on the seals I went with a known brand. 

Phil

• Like 3

I bought a Seal Doctor at RevZilla.  After commute to work this morning, my left fork does not appear to be weeping, so fingers crossed. 

I did bite on the Ali seals. I may or may not use them, but for $5 bucks for two seals and covers, with free shipping from mainland China, worth further evaluation.  I share Phil's skepticism.  Will be interested in hearing how well LaGrasta's set works out.

• Like 3

Yes, skeptic here as well. After some research, you'll be disappointed to find many of the items we purchase, originate from China. In the case of the seals, there are some that are not, but many are the exact same ones as these. At any rate, mine have been good thus far. I did however keep the original dust seals. I like the spring it had on it.

• Like 2

I put a zip tie on my right fork and after commuting to work and home again, ~ 50 miles, its about 42 mm from the bottom.  

Both still feel dry.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

Yes, skeptic here as well. After some research, you'll be disappointed to find many of the items we purchase, originate from China. In the case of the seals, there are some that are not, but many are the exact same ones as these. At any rate, mine have been good thus far. I did however keep the original dust seals. I like the spring it had on it.

Not disappointed at all I'm aware of this and buy a lot of stuff that's made in China, pretty hard not to these days. The thing to bare in mind though is that at least large "known" brands have the buying power and leverage with the manufacturer to ensure high quality and sometimes I suspect better materials. There is also the question of quality grading. I have bought identical machinery tooling and accessories like rotary tables etc from a particular retailer and the exact same part from the exact same factory from other independent sources a few times now and the part from the original large retailer is always slightly better quality, fit and finish. I suspect they have the buying power to make the manufacturer send them the first quality items only and the lesser outlets get the second grade stuff.

Phil 

• Like 5

Used the Seal Mate on my 2012 Stelvio today. It has about 32,000 miles on it. It started weeping a slight but visible film on both tubes a few days ago. 
Surprised how much debris came out. 
Cleaned them, pumped forks a few times, cleaned again ( a little more came out second cleaning), pumped them, cleaned all up. Took it for about 80 mile ride, with no sign of any seeping. 
I suggest this is worth trying if the seals are not too old and hard ( like the ones I changed out on my 49 year old Norton).

Phillip

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PhillipLarsen said:

Used the Seal Mate on my 2012 Stelvio today. It has about 32,000 miles on it. It started weeping a slight but visible film on both tubes a few days ago. 
Surprised how much debris came out. 
Cleaned them, pumped forks a few times, cleaned again ( a little more came out second cleaning), pumped them, cleaned all up. Took it for about 80 mile ride, with no sign of any seeping. 
I suggest this is worth trying if the seals are not too old and hard ( like the ones I changed out on my 49 year old Norton).

Phillip

These outcomes make me ponder that "fork seal cleaning" should be a routine maintenance procedure.

Perhaps "yearly" or with every oil change . . .:luigi:

• Like 2

Docc, Great idea and am going to do it on my Ballabio next, rather than waiting for it to start showing fluid, same for Ducati 916. 

• Like 2