Aonther Scura clutch broken

Paul Minnaert

si1100,

I had an unrelated problem with a 2003 Rosso Corsa I bought late August - its been back several times and finally I wrote a letter to the dealer to state that if they didn't get it fixed I would pursue a claim to return the bike as unfit for purpose. I would need to take legal advice if I did pursue this route, but it seems to have conentrated thier efforts anyway and they took the bike back in and stripped it down properly - I just heard today the new parts are on order so hopefully the issue will get reolved this time, if not then I am resolved to try to return the bike and get my money back - I bought the bike to have fun and so far have had mostly hassle and little use - having said that I love the bike and really hope they fix it.

I would guess if you can get several people together that have the same issue you should be able to get Guzzi's attention - the people on this forum are probably thier most loyal customers and I don't think they have such a broad base that they can afford to ignore us - I am on my 3rd Guzzi and most people stick with them but once you move to something else I would suspect they have lost a customer for a long time, if not for good.

Ken

37987[/snapback]

Yup Ken, united we stand.

I've previously tried to call all V11 ownes but to to no avail.

Wake up chaps. It's time to unite!

Søren

Guest jonny c

I bought a "New" 2002 Tenni in June of this year, and slowly it had developed this loud clutch noise. At first I was not too worried, but thought that the single plate clutch weights were ratteling around, now I worry for my LIFE!!.....I use the bike as daily transportation, on L.A. freeways, so one lock-up will put my DOWN. Has anyone in the States contacted Guzzi N.A. about this, or do I get rid of it now, Lemon Law..... :notworthy:

...now I worry for my LIFE...

The single plate clutch is noisy. In neutral, clutch engaged, engine idling, it's a loud rattle, goes away when you pull in lever. This is normal.

If noise has changed from this, maybe there's a problem. Have you took it to the dealer?

KB :sun:

welcome to the club -- but in support, a dry clutch has yet to fail in North America, and never in a Tenni. Whether this is just the luck of the draw or a cultural schism in the way some Europeans use (abuse?) their bikes I don't know ---------

I own a Scura and have read all I can about this issue. But, after having spoken to 2 very, very long term, world famous dealers of Guzzis who I trust about this issue, they've reassured me to not worry about it. (and I've never bought a bike from either of them). Even without relying on their opinions, I am convinced that the bike will show very clear symptoms long before the clutch fails, if it ever does........which I now very highly doubt, considering the way I ride.

Read the entire thread carefully and you will glean valuable information, about the nature of the riders involved and the symptoms the bikes exhibited before failure. This doesn't mean I'm not still interested in reading all about this. No clutch should ever fail, not this spectacularily, no matter how it's used. Perhaps more will fail and prove their universal inferiority, although most of these bikes have been on the road for 3 years or more already. Additional examples seem unlikely at this point. Perhaps with continued pressure and research, MGNA will own up to whatever engineering fault has caused these few failures and educate us all. But I'm not losing any more sleep over it. IMHO, neither should you, riding in LA.

Dan

This is a safety critical issue & should not be allowed to drop.

The nature of the design is such that it is far more likely to be a 'when' rather than 'if'.

That said there should be ample warning of an impending supernova! :moon:

It appears that RAM have identified the problem & quietly modified their design.

Still needs a recall though.

Nige. :angry:

Wouldn't Trading Standards be a better place to start?

If it came to it, maybe they would sue on our behalf?

Nige.  :huh2:

37983[/snapback]

hi,thanks for reply to post.

I have recd another e mail from guzzi again stating as my bike is out of warranty the paint problem is all mine.FULL STOP!

My e mail asked who i need to write to and register a county court case in the uk,guess what....they forgot to answer that bit!

I now need to look and find any related paperwork on this before go any further but I would be interested in any further evidence that this is not an isolated case but a manufcturing fault effecting many many bikes worldwide.

Evidence of Guzzis generaly lax attitude to customer satisfaction may also be of use. I am really dissapointed with them...

Its a shame,if they carry on like this we will loose Guzzi as a manufacturer of bikes that have real character and soul. Whatmore they are generaly of good quality (they have had plenty of years product development!!).

Nige your suggestions are good,I will look into them.

Oher posters thankyou for your input too,keep it coming!

Wow, guys. A lot of Chicken-littles here. The sky is falling, the sky is falling ..... Sheeze. Fact is, there are VERY few cases of Scura clutch failures. Again, Id be interested to see the failure rate on the standard 2 plate clutch. I do know that my clutch is the lightest pull and the smoothest engaging of any guzzi clutch Ive pulled. Mine is also not babied, I can assure you. Anyway, I dont think you should fret about it but, rather, be glad you were lucky enough to get one of the few. Ride and enjoy ! :rasta:

I am not concerned that items wear & fail.

That is the way of all things mechanical.

It is the manner of the failure & the consequences that are my prime concern.

Does some poor bugger have to die before they do something about it?

Nige :angry:

Say 1600 bikes w/single plate. 4 failures is 0.25%.

What mileage have you (anyone) got on a single plate? Me - 11,200miles (18,000 Km) - so far no problems - works great.

The man with the noisiest Single plate in the west - John O'S - how many miles you got now?

In hope, KB :sun:

Say 1600 bikes w/single plate.  4 failures is 0.25%.

What mileage have you got on a single plate? Me - 11,200miles - so far no problems -  works great.

The man with the noisiest Single plate in the west - John O'S - how many miles you got now?

In hope, KB :sun:

38220[/snapback]

Kieth,

18,000 miles 30,000 kms so far but I've been busy for a while and am not getting out as often as I'd like. Just done the oils: engine, gearbox and bevelbox. The plugs looked like sh1t after 6,000 miles, running rich...need to get working on that but too much happening.

Have fun,

John :luigi:

• 1 month later...

Well I hate to cause this thread to suface but.... Upon disassembly of my Scura I found 3 of the ring gear bolts to be barely hand tight, 1 had arlready started to back out, it had about 2 threads showing. The other 3 were still very tight. Each loose one was next to a tight one though. I imagine that if it had continued to back out a very messy impact with the trans would eventually occur.

I notice on this pic that it looks as if one of those bolts is missing???

Good news though. After penetrant testing my flywheel does not have any cracks. :rolleyes:

post_5_1092952784.jpg

Well I hate to cause this thread to suface but.... Upon disassembly of my Scura I found 3 of the ring gear bolts to be barely hand tight, 1 had arlready started to back out, it had about 2 threads showing. The other 3 were still very tight. Each loose one was next to a tight one though. I imagine that if it had continued to back out a very messy impact with the trans would eventually occur.

I notice on this pic that it looks as if one of those bolts is missing???

Good news though. After penetrant testing my flywheel does not have any cracks. :rolleyes:

41260[/snapback]

When I stripped my scura down for the engine to have the paint done I also noticed that 2 of the torque bolts had come loose, there was also evidence that this was not the first time it had occurred; there are score marks on the inside face of the gearbox bellhousing. The previous owner had complained that the clutch was sqealing, and the work was carried out on warrenty. I think the problem is not so much the clutch but the bolts coming loose, I am going to replace the bolts with allan type so I can get the proper torque on them, and I am going to use liberal ammounts of loctite. :luigi:

I also noticed that 2 of the torque bolts had come loose, there was also evidence that this was not the first time it had occurred; there are score marks on the inside face of the gearbox bellhousing.

I would seem to be the ring gear bolts. The if the flywheel bolts hit the trans, oh boy!!