Enzo's Windage Plate Is On!!!

Enzo

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Enzo-

If you still have any of the tapered roller bearing kits for the V-50, let me know. I will tak one for my Monza.

Daniel

37172[/snapback]

Nah, I did a run of them and they're all gone. If you have a competent machinist though the designs and instructions are all on the AIGOR site in Oz.

Pete

And thereby hangs the nub!

Over the last few years I've done several short production runs of not only my own interpretations of things but also stuff that people were clamoring for.... I was told people would slaughter their mothers for such a thing and they stayed away in droves!!! It took me a year and ahalf to get rid of 'em and I didn't turn a cent!

With the trays? I made a run of 50 and still have at least a dozen! I've given several away.... also got them for nix.

I sourced and offered to supply the Fiat springs I recommend for hotter motors and once again I ended up with stock on the shelf that I ended up puting in customers' motors just to get rid of 'em....

Look, Guzzis are such a weird and eclectic field that everybody is going to try and skin the cat differently. In my tiny mind there is nothing wrong with that, but it does mean that it is highly unlikely that there will ever be a.) agreement on what is the *best* way of doing things or b.) an easy and guaranteed way of turning a quid from it.

... Anything from adding shiny bling to modifying the f@ck out of the engine, gearbox, driveline, chassis, is FINE by me but I'm afraid I'm no longer naieve enough to beleive that any of us are going to be able to retire to the South Pacific and have nubile young titters wait on us hand and foot for the rest of our lives on the profits from manufacturing weirdo parts for obscure, obsolete, Italian motorbikes.

If I read about something that I see as actively dangerous or damaging mechanically, (Poxy alloy timing gears f'rinstance! :vomit: ) I'll rail against it with all might but otherwise I say live and let live. We're all experimenting and with experimentation there is always an element of risk....

Pete

37094[/snapback]

Peter: as you say, nobody involved in after-market parts production for any one marque is going to retire in luxury... [great imagery, btw! :D ] Esp. when it comes to Guzzis: the market is just too small & dispersed. WRT your observations about how hard it is to get rid of the small runs you've done, might I point out that at least part of that has to be due to the high cost of shipping from Oz? Of course, the other half of that equation is getting the word out: you'd need to take out ad$ in wide-distribution moto rags so that people who aren't plugged into the bboards like this one or members of a national club like MGNOC can still find out. Unless your making parts for lots of *different* marques, this just doesn't work out.

The alternative is to sell the information, which is easily transported, so that someone far away who *does* hear about mod. "x" can do it themselves from their local sources. Of course, the cost has to be reduced since more of the complexity is being handled by the end user, but there you are.

Meanwhile, I'm very glad that v11lemans.com gains the benefit of your considerable experience & insight: thanks for setting us all straight on the realities of making Guzzi kit!

:luigi: