BREAK IN

Guest JohnInNH

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used the normal factory prescribed break in.

57820[/snapback]

The factory told you to drive off a dyke?

Guest ratchethack

Coming up on 25K miles, my Sport was broken in according to Motoman's procedures as closely as possible (and that was pretty darn close). I've been successfully following versions of the same core philosophy starting with my first 4-stroke engine rebuilds 40 years ago, and with every new engine since then, and I pretty much agree with his reasoning 100%. Though it seems to have taken nearly 20K miles for the rings to fully seat :o , I now have ZERO perceptible oil consumption between oil changes, great smoothness and power. :race:

I wish I had known about MotoMan's procedure.

Although some say nickel-silicate lined engines do not benefit the same, from his procedure.

I babied mine, and now consume about 250ml every thousand miles. :(

Oh well, the more oil I burn, the less Gas I burn! :cheese:

I saw Premium today for $3.27.9 per gallon US. :bbblll: $3.09.9 is the most I paid, so far...

Sorry about whining to everyone not in the US. Those in the US may feel for us Californians....or not.

Guest Nogbad

I saw Premium today for $3.27.9 per gallon US. :bbblll: $3.09.9 is the most I paid, so far...

Sorry about whining to everyone not in the US. Those in the US may feel for us Californians....or not.

57846[/snapback]

What! Too right you yanks shouldn't be moaning!!!!!! Last fill of premium (98 RON) for my Guzzi cost me $1.67 A LITRE in your money. That's $6.35 a US gallon.

(And Brits are still buying ever more SUVs :homer:

We have just hit about US$1.00 per litre for regular 91 here in Sheepsville. I thought that was bad enough but you Brits have it really bad. Has anyone seriously considered emigration?

Rob

I feel your pain. :(

I don't know how you can afford to ride more than a couple times around the block. :huh2:

Time for a Breva 750!

Or, a more serious look at getting my PCIII to lean out the map without burning the valves.

I went riding with a VFR700 and an SV650 yesterday and after the first tank I consumed 3.6 gallons, the SV 2.7, and the VFR 4.0 gallons, after about 130 miles.

I was on a water ski vacation last week and the increase in gas prices had its sting. We took the truck, boat, and the bike on the trip. $70 in gas for the truck just to get there and back. $80 in gas for the boat and $10 in gas for the bike. Costs last year were about one third of what they were this year.

If costs continue spiraling upwards at this rate, next year I will try skiing behind a sailboat.

Guest Nogbad

If costs continue spiraling upwards at this rate, next year I will try skiing behind a sailboat.

57877[/snapback]

The planet will love you..........

I've seen the Moto-Man URL tossed around for seemingly years now on various sites, both motorcycle and snowmobile. I guess the concept that I have come away with and used on the last half-dozen or so bikes I have broken in is simply this: don't baby the engine, work it and seat those rings early on. OTOH, I'm not suggesting one abuses their new engine by running it at sustained red line out of the box either.

Here's a little more fodder for the mill taken from one of the BMW sites I hang out on:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/faq/breakin.htm

Sure it's meant for BMW's with their hard as nails Nikasil cylinders but the prinicple that counts is -lots of of gradually progressive accel's and decel's with a new engine- To which I would add -heat cycle that new engine of yours-

Just :2c:

-Mike

I've seen the Moto-Man URL tossed around for seemingly years now on various sites, both motorcycle and snowmobile.  I guess the concept that I have come away with and used on the last half-dozen or so bikes I have broken in is simply this: don't baby the engine, work it and seat those rings early on.  OTOH, I'm not suggesting one abuses their new engine by running it at sustained red line out of the box either.

Here's a little more fodder for the mill taken from one of the BMW sites I hang out on:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/faq/breakin.htm

Sure it's meant for BMW's with their hard as nails Nikasil cylinders but the prinicple that counts is  -lots of of gradually progressive accel's and decel's with a new engine-  To which I would add  -heat cycle that new engine of yours-

Just  :2c:

-Mike

58017[/snapback]

Thanks for this article, it's much appreciated. I've followed a similar break-in regimen just not quiet so extended. And the warming up of an aircooled engine without some moving airflow seems too quick a temperature change. But that's just my uninformed opinion, what do I know?

What! Too right you yanks shouldn't be moaning!!!!!! Last fill of premium (98 RON) for my Guzzi cost me $1.67 A LITRE in your money. That's $6.35 a US gallon.

The £10/$10 gallon is well on the way. I can't work out if it's pure corporate greed (have you seen the oil company profit acceleration recently - makes bikes look slow) or some hidden "save the earth" agenda.

That last sentence was intended entirely humourously. The first sentence I anticipate to become reality by this time next year.

mike

whew, you had me worried there mike.

FWIW, I followed the Guzzi plan for break-in and I have zero oil consumption and the bike runs just fine. I did vary the rpms a lot and all that good stuff.

I did the motoman method of break-in on my Eldo rebuild. It's too early to tell how that worked, but it also seems to run fine.

So- maybe both methods work.