Shock Horror

Martin Barrett

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...
Guest pasturej

Snap Martin! I have a piece of metal in my hand that looks just like the picture you posted some months ago. My bike is a 2003 V11 Le Mans, also from OYB.

Luckily the failure occurred whilst the bike was sitting in the garage but had clearly been cracked for some time. How many does that make? I really dread to think what would have happened if this had happened at speed.

Some months out of warranty now so I assume that I won't have any luck there.

What is the best shock to replace with and likely cost to fix? Is it a relatively easy job to replace?

Thanks

Jonathan

Snap Martin!  I have a piece of metal in my hand that looks just like the picture you posted some months ago.  My bike is a 2003 V11 Le Mans, also from OYB.

Luckily the failure occurred whilst the bike was sitting in the garage but had clearly been cracked for some time.  How many does that make?  I really dread to think what would have happened if this had happened at speed.

Some months out of warranty now so I assume that I won't have any luck there.

What is the best shock to replace with and likely cost to fix?  Is it a relatively easy job to replace?

Thanks

Jonathan

77351[/snapback]

Was it your top or bottom eye? I think it's these three reports and I think one other in Germany so it's not as common as the single plate clutches letting go.

I don't think you'll get anywhere on the warranty. There are plenty of options of replacements. Get busy with the search. Lots of posts but crop up all over the place.

Good job found out in the garage. it does make you think what would have happened if came it had come apart and seperated on the road :(

Let us know how you get on and which replacement you go for.

To bring your HD to bike meets?

(...sais the man with the van...)  :D

40510[/snapback]

HAHA :lol:

I laugh everytime I see that, I see it so often here its rediculous, when we went to wisconsin dells I think everyone had a motorcycle in the back of their pickup or on a trailer. made me wonder...

HD ppl are like no other ppl. :ninja:

That was a close one, I had the same problem last year on my 2002 guzzi, doing routine grease up and had what looked like grease on the shock eye, cleaned it up and found it was cracked, at the time changed under warranty no questions asked, the dealer offered to collect the bike and fit, but I had already stripped it down took a week for the replacement to arrive.

The amount of corrosion on it I would not have thought sufficient to crack the eye. I think its where it is machined round that is causing a stress fracture, my new shock had a ridge in exactly the same place as the old one had cracked.

note on the swinging arm that its anti sieze grease not corrosion

DSCN0001.jpg

DSCN0010.jpg

Guy

that was the 2002 jinxed guzzi that made me walk away for a Honda, strange I m back with a lemans, glutton for punishment ?

Dave

77418[/snapback]

Hi Dave

Yes its funny how you can't walk away- I sold my Sport Corsa so I could buy an Aprilia Factory- but I just could not do it so bought a Rosso Corsa instead.

H's bike is a 2002 in burgundy like your previous bike, bought from On Yer Bike originally- no problems yet apart from gearbox return spring.

Too dark to see shock mountings in garage so will have to wait until tomorrow- how will I sleep tonight????

How are you getting on with your Rosso Corsa?

Regards

Guy :helmet:

P.S. On the subject of On Yer Bike, they are advertising a red standard Le Mans as being a Rosso Corsa. I wonder if someone will fall for it and pay over the odds?

I don't see a crack on mine, but . . . is there a 'bushing ' of sorts within the eye? Mine has a significant space between the bush and the eye. It is only apparent at the aft and must measure ten or fifteen thousandths of an inch. Too much? WTF?

Chilling story, MArtin. I will now venture down to the garage vaults, and silently and coldly stare at my Greenie for several minutes. Sooner or later he will speak up, and tell me if he is a properly lubed up kid...

Stories like that makes me completely paranoid. Since my V11 has only covered 4000 miles since new, I bet no one has opened him up for checking and greasing. Darn, that to-do-list is getting long now....

GLOBAL paranoia ! i went and checked my rear sachs. i need some identity to this evil shock. but cagiva use different link system..maybe guzzi just got some cheapies.. off the big boss.. :D quote=Guzzirider,Feb 6 2006, 09:59 AM]

Guzzi paranoia has set in- I am now going into the garage to check Helen's shock- I think her bike was in the same batch as DVHs 2002 V11.

Guy :luigi:

77414[/snapback]

GLOBAL paranoia ! i went and checked my rear sachs. i need some identity to this evil shock. but cagiva use different link system..maybe guzzi just got some cheapies.. off the big boss.. :D quote=Guzzirider,Feb 6 2006, 09:59 AM]

Guzzi paranoia has set in- I am now going into the garage to check Helen's shock- I think her bike was in the same batch as DVHs 2002 V11.

Guy :luigi:

77414[/snapback]

77476[/snapback]

Oh sh^#%t and to think we were both doing 200kmh a day ago and both of us on Sachs shocks, when will this paranoia end. I'm only new to this v11 game and didn't have any of these problems on my faithful 69 V7 Special or 85 T5 850 tourer, what have I let myself in for.

BTW do V11 cutches rattle in 1 and 2nd gears at low speed overrun or should I have another dose of paranoia? :o