*@!%* tranny

coz1100

Well it finaly happened (as much as I had hoped it wouldn't) I was on the north side of Mt Etna, (which by the way is some of the twistiest roads I've ever been on :bike: ) pulling out of Benzo (I think that's it) and the bike wouldn't shift out of 1st. I knew what the problem was as soon as it wouldn't shift. I told my buddies to keep going and I turned around and limped home, literaly, 55 miles to base doing 20mph the whole way. I parked at one base and took the bus to the other. It sucked let me tell you.

Got the bike back to base after it had cooled down over night and took the side cover off to make sure it was "the spring". Sure enough, their it was just hanging there looking rather smug about it I might add.

So the question is, anyone have an extra spring I could buy off them or do I need to wait on parts to be sent to me from the states?

Ciao

Z

My empathetic condolences. Having had that happen 550 (and about $600 U-Haul) miles from home, I now carry an extra (smug) spring and belfastguzzi's instructions from here with me, for whatever talismanic comfort that might be if I can't find a knowledgeable wrench nearby. :luigi:

On the bright side, I've done 10K since that 6K incident a year ago, and the Ballabio's run like a charm. Best wishes as you wait for a replacement spring. If you have a tough time finding a part quickly, send me your APO off-line and I'll mail my extra one to you ... if you promise to replace it promptly when you get yours! :mg:

BTW, make sure to reread all those past posts and get the measurements of the boss so we can all get more data on the possible culprit.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I just got a hold of Moto International, quiet a trick seeing how I'm in sicily. The parts guy wasn't in yet but they said they'd get back to me with an email. I'll keep ya posted.

Z

I hope mine never breaks again(knocking on wood).

Since it has now been confirmed by MG that it is not a spring problem per se, but is indeed due to a batch of sideplate assemblies with oversized spring bosses(16 vs 15mm).... I feel pretty good knowing I ground mine down to ~15mm... and that along with bending the tip of the spring just a tad so that it holds onto the pawl more securely and grinding off any sharp edges.... yeah, I'm hoping it now last forever. Time will tell though :huh2:

If not, I'll just get a salvage sideplate or similar from a later model.

al

Well it finaly happened (as much as I had hoped it wouldn't) I was on the north side of Mt Etna, (which by the way is some of the twistiest roads I've ever been on  :bike: )

So the question is, anyone have an extra spring I could buy off them or do I need to wait on parts to be sent to me from the states?

Ciao

Z

51104[/snapback]

Wouldn't it just be easier to call the factory in Mandello? Heck, they could probably get it to you free via "rider dispatch" [think of a bucket-chain of volunteer Moto Guzzi riders] for the P.R. benefits alone!

;)

Best o' luck!

[PS: What, no Guzzi dealers in Sicily? What's up with that!?!]

Guest freeman

Is this specific to certain year Guzzi's? Is this something I should worry about (2002 LeMans)? :huh2:

Is this specific to certain year Guzzi's? Is this something I should worry about (2002 LeMans)?  :huh2:

51133[/snapback]

As you are 2002 – YES, this seems to be the big year for wrong-sized parts. Take the cover off and measure the pawl boss diameter and the spring coil. It makes sense to prevent the breakage happenning by doing your own fix or getting the replacement parts, if you find mis-matched sizes.

Well it finaly happened

do I need to wait on parts to be sent to me from the states?

Ciao

Z

51104[/snapback]

No you don't have to wait. The broken spring can be re-bent. It will be a bit shorter but still works fine and will fit even better if you slightly re-shape the plate that it hooks over. This will keep you going until you get home or get new parts from somewhere on your travels. File the pawl arm boss down to 15mm diameter while you are at it. You may find that yours is over 16mm wide and so the spring coil tightens onto it. It needs to remain free as the spring is tensioned.

The hardest bit of the whole job is getting at the bottom allen bolts to take the cover off. Otherwise you only need basic tools: you can even save the gearbox oil by tilting the bike over when working at it. See other threads with pictures.

....anyone have an extra spring I could buy off them or do I need to wait on parts to be sent to me from the states?...

Coz 1100,

I have a spare spring I can send FOC if you can't source one locally quicker. If you want it let's have an address.

KB :sun:

Guest blingbling*

Geez...just had the same thing happen to me last week...my V50 was more reliable than this...

Ya know guys I love my bike, but it's starting to become one week ride, one week

at the dealer!

I am starting to slightly regret buying a Guzzi now... :(

There's a lot to be said for 'character' versus just plain piece o' sheeet

Sorry, just pissed all I read any more is all about constant problems with our bikes. My warranty just ran out, just after that the engine paint started bubbling.

Poopers.

I've read the FAQ about reshaping the spring. The only hang-up I have is that I'm unable to get a measurement on the spring boss. I've been thinking it over and I think I've come up with a way to at least get a guess about it. Right now it's at 16mm. This is starting to become more and more of a rigged job :grin:

Also the communication is a big problem here. Amarican in Sicily that speaks no Italian.

Thanks everyone

Z

And this just gets better and better :not: I was just starting to get the spring in the right shap when about an inch of it snapped off :thumbsup: I guess that only leaves me with ordering it. Are any of the after market springs mentined in the FAQ still avalible?

Z

Also the communication is a big problem here. Amarican in Sicily that speaks no Italian.

I stopped at Agostinis, the Guzzi dealer in Mandello a couple years ago. They had a guy there who spoke passable English. They also had a big picture on the wall of a large gathering of U.S. Guzzi enthusiasts from some meet in the states so, I gathered that they did some dealings with U.S. customers.

Their phone # is 0341 735 448

Their e mail is: assistenza@agostiniduilio.com

Now I'm getting worried about my spring :unsure: 20,000 miles on my '02 Tenni