headshake

Guest davidb

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enzo, I only weigh 220 pounds @ 5'10", If I lost 40 pounds, I would be skin and bones.

52067[/snapback]

er-um, we are friends right? honesty is important, right?

According to most charts on the internet, you are on the low end of obese, and your ideal weight is below 170lbs...now of course I don't know if all your bones are reinforced with tungsten steel and body types vary...but for most body types, 180lbs would be fine for your height, unless you have a career modelling for the same magazines as TX Redneck.

:D

FWIW I weigh 210+ and the only shakes I get now are at Dairy Queen :lol:

My old Tonti regularly shakes it's head & settles. I don't find it a problem & I don't have a steering damper fitted.

Headshakes are pretty normal if your pushing hard on a bumpy road, & if bike settles that's good. A tankslapper will shake bars repeatedly, very fast from lock to lock, so hard it's difficult to hold on to them. There's a huge difference between a real tankslapper & a bike just shaking it's head, wobbling or weaving. But often a rider has a tankslapper cos that's more dramatic...

In 12K miles on the V11 no serious headshakes. One end to end weave riding it very hard on a dipping road frightened me. These are heavy bikes. They are not marketed as supersports. If you're going to push very hard on bumpy roads, accept it'll be hard work or get a bike for the job.

Riding style & weight affect bike's behaviour, so if you fit high bars & sit upright back end of the saddle expect the front end to feel a bit vague.

Bad bearings/adjustments, luggage, incorrect suspension set up or tyres (type, wear, pressures) can cause shakes, weaves & wobbles.

If you have experienced a bad headshake there may be sometrhing wrong that's causing it, but ultimately you're riding a very heavy, rear biased shaft drive motorcycle, inadequately framed for flat out sports riding on bumpy roads. Given the spec I remain amazed that they can be pushed as fast as they can.

KB :sun:

Guest davidb
post-1173-1116419374_thumb.jpgDlaing, that would be true if I were a couch potato. I am very active and to give you a Idea on my fat content, I have 17 inch biceps,36 inch waist, Last year I did a rough part of the crest trail (27 miles) in 32 hours with my 75 pound pack. Yes we are friends and thanks for the concern.

I could never imagine my Rosso Corsa getting out of shape- it is absolutely rock solid.

Most of the roads around here are bloody bumpy but it soaks everything up in its stride and I have never moved the steering damper from its minimum setting.

I have had it flat out in top gear and it was perfectly stable and safe.

I can't imagine a safer more stable bike.

Guy (210lbs and big boned) :helmet:

Guzzirider - you're just not trying hard enough!! :wacko:

KB :sun:

52089[/snapback]

Oh believe me, he tries hard enough :grin: , certainly not what you'd call a slow rider.. :race:

Mal :helmet:

Im000180.jpgDlaing, that would be true if I were a couch potato. I am very active and to give you a Idea on my fat content, I have 17 inch biceps,36 inch waist, Last year I did a rough part of the crest trail (27 miles) in 32 hours with my 75 pound pack. Yes we are friends and thanks for the concern.

52087[/snapback]

Heh, remind me never to piss you off :P

;)

Guest davidb

Too late AL... your the one who talked me into buying the piece of &$^ on the southbay riders site... Just kidding. Thee guzzi isn't a bad bike for someone likes to tinker. But I need to ride..Its my transportation.

Waist size? Did somebody say waist size? I occasionally get to measure people at work. I always ask the men what they think thier waist size is before measuring, big laughs. Your pants size is NOT your waist size. Find the gap between your pelvis and your ribs-- on the side of your body-- and measure around there. Men average about +4 inches on the bullshit scale. Best I ever saw was the guy who told me he was a 34. Measured at 48. Yup, a beer drinker. Go ahead try it. prepare to be depressed.

Fish -- 6 foot 2 and 220 lbs (today anyway) and yeah +4 on the bullshit scale

the guzzi is a lot of things for sure... hmmmm seems we are too :drink: davidb has a point when he says it is not just the headshake but all the other stuff (btw- I've had mine routinely to 120 - yellowlining in gears 1-5 (how can you really ride w/o yellow lining or occasionally going into rev limiter?), and to 130 numerous times with no headshake, like I've said-- my moments have come at high highway speeds going straight (only a couple of times and in the early morning), I've had my oil filter fall off (beat that somebody) and yes, I know how to put an oil filter on; my exhaust pipe break in half :P and a few other little things . Maybe thats a guzzi. We all are looking for different things from our bikes -- after all, what's a bike afterall but an extention of you (pretty philosophical, eh :D )

Heh, remind me never to piss you off  :P 

;)

52122[/snapback]

Yah, and here I am with my 12inch biceps and 40+inch waist calling him obese. :doh:

I guess those charts don't fit every body type.

How fat you are around the waist line is much more relevant for health than your weight.

Sorry that bike has been a lemon.

If I NEEDED a more reliable bike I don't know what I would do.

My Guzzis have outlasted my Hondas, so I don't have much faith in Honda. Maybe a two valve beemer is the way to go.

But I'll bet if you set up the suspension,replace the tires, the bearings, the hose, the valves, the gear return spring and bushing, port the head, dynotune it, and stay religious about maintainance, the bike could still suit your needs.

Yah, and here I am with my 12inch biceps and 40+inch waist calling him obese.  :doh:

I guess those charts don't fit every body type.

How fat you are around the waist line is much more relevant for health than your weight.

Sorry that bike has been a lemon.

If I  NEEDED a more reliable bike I don't know what I would do.

My Guzzis have outlasted my Hondas, so I don't have much faith in Honda. Maybe a two valve beemer is the way to go.

But I'll bet if you set up the suspension,replace the tires, the bearings, the hose, the valves, the gear return spring and bushing, port the head, dynotune it,  and stay religious about maintainance, the bike could still suit your needs.

52164[/snapback]

Sounds like a lot of work. Maybe he should just get an average Guzzi? Like the rest of us?