headshake

Guest davidb

yeah I weighted myself and I'm actually 228 Also I wear a 38 waist which means I'm prolly a real 42 if you go around my belly its not as big as it used to be since moving kegs for a living. :thumbsup:

Some ppls bikes MUST have been built on a friday and luigi couldn't wait to bail so he cut all the corners. :luigi:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my earlier message, I mentioned the "man - Machine" interface. Have you read the following in Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch?

Page 36...

"Ride relaxed on a wide -barred bike or unintended steering inputs will create a wobble at speed. In fact, any bike will wobble if the rider has rigid arms and a death grip on the bars (Brian Blades)"

Also on page 36...

"Imagine welding a steel bar from your handlebar to your bike's frame. Every movement of your front tire would be immediately transferred into the chasis, creating a wobble, weave-or worse. This is exactly what happens when you grip the bars too tightly before, during or after steering inputs. Every movement of the front end moves those clenched arms and consequently disrupts the bike's stability."

Am not saying this was the case, but thought it was worthy of discussion.

Guest davidb

I am sure the wobble is caused by the bike. I have 3 bikes right now and the only one I have problems with is the guzzi.I have owned 6 in the last 10 years and have rode over 120000 miles. But if you feel like talking about riding techniques, thats fine with me. Does anyone know how to keep a bike up in a curve with a diesel spill. OUCH..

Guest Dave Pott

I've ridden with Davidb and I'm pretty damn sure it ain't his technique(the dude can ride) and mechanically speaking he knows what he's talking about.

Sooo, it seems a case of bad luck and he got an especially F***ked up bike for what ever reason :huh2: I suppose that can happen with most things, however, I'll keep thanking my lucky stars since my '04 Ballabio continues to be problem free :bier:

Sorry David. But, you do still have that nice running, & excellent SOUNDING R1100S.

Guest ratchethack

David, it sounds like the Guzzi is not the right bike for you. I'm truly sorry to hear about your experience. However, unless it has a bent frame or some other problem, it sounds to me like your Guzzi may have benefitted from more careful attention to suspension setup. Every Guzzi I've ever known about has rewarded the effort of a careful match of spring rate, preload, and compression and rebound damping to a rider's weight and riding style (and all the other things on a comprehensive list) with outstanding road manners. Getting it perfect isn't absolutely necessary with a Guzzi. Anywhere close to correct should put your Guzzi far ahead of many other bike's best capabilities in the handling department - including stability - but you've got to be in the ballpark. Now admittedly, as delivered from Mandello, Guzzi's won't likely be in anybody's ballpark. This can be easily remedied. No offense intended, but saying you won't own a particular marque (any motorcycle) because it demonstrates headshake at speed over uneven terrain is a little bit like saying you wouldn't own a particular make of fine rifle because it doesn't shoot straight, yet you've not taken the step of setting windage and elevation on the sights. Guzzis are known to be among the most stable and beautifully handling of all motorcycles ever built at speed. Your loss will be someone else's gain. :huh2:

Guest davidb

Chinese AK74, SKS, draganov, don't shoot straight. Russian ones do. (got both) The suspension is in the ball park. The headshake is not a everyday problem with this bike. I ride it Hard when I go for a leasure ride. It is when the road conditions are just right that it does. Must be going fast, negative bank on the turn, and uneven pavement. I can handle this, most people here are missing the point which is All the other problems Compounded with the bike, service, dealers, parts availibility and MGNA non support.

Guest davidb

I am really glad alot of you love your Guzzi. Guzzi needs faithful riders to remain in business. there is alot of riders that have not had problems that I and numerous other people have. Shit, even some Harleys have been good (not handling) reliable bikes.Someday they may get the product to be better built. without most of the problems (you must admit, there is alot) worked out. Maybe hire some Japanese industrial quality control people.

Guest ratchethack
The headshake is not a everyday problem with this bike. I ride it Hard when I go for a leasure ride. It is when the road conditions are just right that it does. Must be going fast, negative bank on the turn, and uneven pavement.

the point ... is All the other problems ... service, dealers, parts availibility and MGNA non support.

52343[/snapback]

Hmmmmm...... sounds like you actually don't have much to complain about RE: stability of the Guzzi, since the limitations of most any other bike would tend to be pretty substantially exposed under those conditions as well.

Roger the service, dealers, parts avblty & MGNA non-support. Relative to other marques, there's certainly a big difference here. But for many of us, myself included, this is a non-issue, as we do 100% our own maintenance. I've never waited long for any part or lacked for anything from MGNA, but then I've never asked MGNA for much, and I've never relied on a dealer or service dept. either. Don't ever intend to - but who knows, the time may eventually come.... -_-

Guest davidb

That is about the sum of it. I don't like to be dependent on a service dept., but when the bike is under warranty, and a rear main seal goes out @1000miles, You must bring it to them to keep the warranty valid. Especially if there is a case/ end plate defect such as mine was. big $$$ if you have to buy one. If the tranny takes a dump under warranty, who should fix it? MGNA will not give you the parts and let you do the work, I asked them already. So if you have a new bike under warranty, you are dependent on Guzzi. If the service is slow (AL"s cases, my seal etc) then the bike owner is ^&^ed unless he owns 2 bikes (like us)

Guest ratchethack

For me, it's always been a matter of managing expectations. I simply haven't had many of 'em of either dealers or service providers (never have), so I haven't been disappointed. My bike was in the serial number range of the transmission recall. I made some phone calls to understand how MGNA was distributing the recall kits to dealers, waited until a dealer local to me had completed a dozen or so, reserved a kit, and brought them my trans. They had it back on the counter inside of 2 hours along with the requisite signatures signifying Guzzi-authorized completion of the recall work. I had it back in the Guzzi the same day, and I was riding the next. I consider this almost entirely painless. Long as I can get away with it, I'd do the same thing with any other dealer of any other marque on any kind of a recall OR warrantee item - but admittedly, that's just me. :D

I could never imagine my Rosso Corsa getting out of shape- it is absolutely rock solid.

Most of the roads around here are bloody bumpy but it soaks everything up in its stride and I have never moved the steering damper from its minimum setting.

I have had it flat out in top gear and it was perfectly stable and safe.

I can't imagine a safer more stable bike.

Guy (210lbs and big boned)  :helmet:

52088[/snapback]

Guy,

My Scura is also rocksteady at any speed. I'm 6'3 and also weigh around 210 lbs (+/-) and I ride on crap roads here in Denmark. Must be the Öhlins suspension that we both have on our bikes.

After my new Mistral setup I've been riding like a pig keeping the revs up where the fun starts. I actually think the more you use the bike the better it gets. The only time I felt like the bike was about to throw in the towel was in a long fast curve with an uneven surface. Furthermore my old Bridgestones (now changed for BT 014's) had seen better days so I can't really blame the Scura for that.

Søren

Guy,

My Scura is also rocksteady at any speed. I'm 6'3 and also weigh around 210 lbs (+/-) and I ride on crap roads here in Denmark. Must be the Öhlins suspension that we both have on our bikes.

After my new Mistral setup I've been riding like a pig keeping the revs up where the fun starts. I actually think the more you use the bike the better it gets. The only time I felt like the bike was about to throw in the towel was in a long fast curve with an uneven surface. Furthermore my old Bridgestones (now changed for BT 014's) had seen better days so I can't really blame the Scura for that.

Søren

52392[/snapback]

Hi Søren

Just out of interest how do you find the BT014s?

Guy

& the pope's a protestant...

KB :sun:

52402[/snapback]

No, but he helped a Protestant get elected over a Catholic and he was a Hitler youth and right now the best bet for nomination to exalted anti-Christ.

Sorry about changing the topic and defaming some people's unconditional love, but this is just too important to let slide.

I am not Catholic, but I have a right to bitch.

Thanks for the soap box.

Hi Søren

Just out of interest how do you find the BT014s?

Guy

52409[/snapback]

Hi Guy,

So far so good. There's a good grip and I haven't shit my undies when driving in the rain.... :grin:

And yes, my Scura is still rocksteady at any speed (and the Pope wears a funny hat and Dolly Parton sleeps on her back, okay??)

Søren