Tire preferences for '02 LeMans???

quazi-moto

My '02 LeMans just turned 7K miles and I'm still running the OE Bridgestones. The front is badly cupped. The rear looks okay, but the bike doesn't feel as sure footed as it once did. I'm considering the Diablo Corsa's for next season. Anyone with first hand experience feel free to chime in. Should I stick with stock sizes?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ContiSportAttacks

My '02 LeMans just turned 7K miles and I'm still running the OE Bridgestones. The front is badly cupped. The rear looks okay, but the bike doesn't feel as sure footed as it once did. I'm considering the Diablo Corsa's for next season. Anyone with first hand experience feel free to chime in. Should I stick with stock sizes?

60132[/snapback]

General opinion is to stick with stock tire sizes in the front. Whether you have an early V11 with 170mm tire, or post '01 V11 and V11 Lemans with 180mm rear, the machine seems to work better with a 10mm skinnier rear, respectively.

Tire make has to be a personal choice. Like motorcycle engine oils, you can't really get a bad one these days. But some are slightly better in different ways. Some are cheaper, some, last longer, some are stickier. I have been using the Bridgestone 020 Battlax, originally buying it because next to the Chinese made Maxxis [Ching-Chen] it was the most reasonably priced radial tire in my region of the world. Only later did I find it had superior grip during spirited riding times when I have ground off 1' off the foot on my left side stand, and touched down the right muffler. I could not do this on the original equipement Bridgestone BT57's, as it would seriously push the front, which I really dislike. The rear can do what it wants, but the front for me must follow the line I want. Add to this the fact that these 020's are quite long lasting, having just changed the front with 16,800kms, although it could have been run longer, it was affecting handling and "feel" I get with a fresher tire.

Like I say, you should and will pick a tire based on how you feel, not what someone tells you.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest rollingthunder

60132[/snapback]

I think everyone will have their own preference, as everyone will have a different riding style. Personally I like the Avon Azzaros - I'm more of a high speed tourer than hooligan. They seem to be wearing ok too - 3k miles so far on them and they're showing negligible wear :bike:

RT

My V11Sport Naked 02/03 came with the Bridgestones. They are o.k. but not particularly awe inspiring. My Nero Corsa Lemans came with Metzler Sport Tec's and they are so much better than the B020's.

Wick

My V11Sport Naked 02/03 came with the Bridgestones. They are o.k. but not particularly awe inspiring. My Nero Corsa Lemans came with Metzler Sport Tec's and they are so much better than the B020's.

Wick

60225[/snapback]

I agree that they are a better tyre, but not twice as good as the price where I am would dictate.

Ciao, Steve G.

what does "better" mean? longer lasting, stickier, less nervous, cheaper...???

60280[/snapback]

...and there is the "core" question, which almost answers itself ;)

It really depends on one's riding style and goals. I am sure any of the Michelin, Avon, and Pirellis mentioned will work very well.

I installed the Diablos and found them to be quite nice, although have very little mileage on them prior to the move. Mike Stewart put the Diablo Corsas on his 2003 and found them to be excellent, and even though soft-compound tires, lasted a few thousand miles.

Our bikes, although relatively heavy, just don't have the power required to chew up most modern tires like other makes/models might.

So you are probably going to get good mileage out of most.

Try any of the above, ride it until it wears out, then try another. I don't think you'd go wrong with any of those recommended.

al

As for sizes , yes , stick to the standard sizes , these people know why they put it in your bike.

i.e. I have changed to a 60 profile on the back tire of my bike (1100ie Sport Corsa) for 2 reasons.

1)Couldn't find a 70 Profile in new compount tires

2)The Daytona RS is wearing a 60 profile and AFAIK have the same frame and suspension with mine.

3)Tire companies were suggesting this compund tire I wanted also in 60 profile.

As of sure I have experienced the confidence on grip that the METZELER Sportec M1's gave me. That tire made me feel I could do anything in my bike. I would describe it as medium to soft rubber with tons grip on dry and very very reliable on wet, even on the "slippery" roads of my country (vast majority).

A fast steering geometry as well.See my avatar pic. I believe Iwill try it again. Was getting warm quite easy in a couple of miles, getting stickier and stickier afterwards.

Right now I have changed just for a try to the Pirellis with a touring 70 Profile on the back-DRAG.-GTS (as specs of my 1100i came from factory) that gives me little better engine rpm for same km/h .

I have a Diablo Corsa at the front. To my bike, and the conditions I met so far with that tire ,I would say that the Diablo corsa is a excellent capabilities tyre . Compared to the Sportec M1 gives me a different feeling with a bit less confidence, but it has surpased me so far of it's grip when I actually needed it, and was flawless even on some very demanding situations such as high leans ,extreme front braking. In other words, it gives me more than expected.

I have noted though a less grip in the wet than the Metzelers I have used. Generaly that Corsa is a tire that warns you of it;s behaviour without any so far tedencies for the negative unexpected but the opposite!!, it is better than what it lets me feel of being. Even though amazed so far I can say I would preffer the Metzeler Sportec M1 because this tire allways was showing me what it is

Only positive critisim I have heard for the Michelin Pilot Power concerning their grip in dry and are concidered by many, of being the best ones in the wet conditions.

Definatelly though a more "mellow" radius wich equals to "slower" steering geometry than a Sportec M1 or a Diablo Corsa. Friend of mine got these on his Duc748 and concidered it a problem as his steering geometry has descented compared to the Corsas that was wearing before.

And something else, NEVER compromise on safety, allways get the best tires for the use you want regardless money.

I speak from experience and if I have to spent $600 in a year on having best tires I will do so.

That's all , ride safe :helmet:

P.S. This is not an add, I can introduce you to the tire source I have which always provided me with fresh tires and unbeatable prices. In cace anyone is in Europe I think it may be a good bargain. I get my tires from Germany , sent over here a couple of thousand km away and still it costs me 15-20% of the prices found on the market with the tire fitted to my bike.

I've ridden the M-1's and the street Diablo. The Diablo felt a bit more certain and had none of the "softness" issues associated with the "corsa" version.

For me, the choice between would be in the prices I could get. At equal $$$ the Pirelli Diablo (not corsa) would get the nod.

Guest ratchethack
As for sizes , yes , stick to the standard sizes , these people know why they put it in your bike.

i.e.  I have changed to a 60 profile on the back tire of my bike (1100ie Sport Corsa) for 2 reasons.

1)Couldn't find  a 70 Profile in new compount tires

2)The Daytona RS is wearing a 60 profile and AFAIK have the same frame and suspension with mine.

3)Tire companies were suggesting this compund tire I wanted also in 60 profile.

As of sure I have experienced the  confidence on grip that the METZELER Sportec M1's gave me. That tire made me feel I could do anything in my bike. I would describe it as medium to soft  rubber with tons  grip  on dry and very very reliable on wet, even on the "slippery" roads of my country (vast majority).

A fast steering geometry as well.See my avatar pic. I believe Iwill try it again. Was getting warm quite easy in a couple of miles, getting stickier and stickier afterwards...Even though amazed so far I can say I would preffer the Metzeler Sportec M1 because this tire allways was showing me what it is

And something else, NEVER compromise on safety, allways get the best tires for the use you want regardless money.

I speak from experience and if I have to spent $600 in a year on having best tires I will do so.

Alex, I enthusiastically agree with all your observations above. The last place to balk on price is tires!

I too went to 160's on the rear and got MUCH better feel and control over the stock 170's (4.5" rim). I also highly recommend to go with the proper tire for the rim width - NOT the "one width too wide" rear installed by Guzzi on many of the V11's, especially the 180's that came on many (maybe all?) of the 5.5" rims!

I've always liked Metzeler and have run 'em for 30 years. I've heard bike mag reviewers trash Metz because "they're made for Beemers". I figure as long as they work on Guzzi's as well as they do, I don't care if they make 'em for Granny's wheelchair... <_<

The Metzeler M1 is my all-time first choice for the kinds of riding I do - for all the reasons you cited. The security and confidence they provide in marginal "real world" conditions in the mountains, including those unexpected hidden patches of water, sand, "marbles", etc. that can jump out of the shadows is formidable. For these kinds of conditions on this class of machine, the M1's can't be beat IMHO. They seem to consistently find "partial traction" as required. The M1 is the most predictable tire I've ever had for aggressive riding approaching the limits of adhesion regardless of surface conditions. I've found with the M1's that with most slippery stuff hard over in a turn, best to countersteer, keep the power on and slide right through without interrupting your line. When front or rear steps out, there's still good feedback, it's low drama - no need whatsoever for a rest stop afterward to extract your heart from your throat and empty the contents of your leathers! :blush: I get 6K/4K mi. F/R.

Just because I had to understand exactly what the differences are, I went to a set of Metz Roadtec Z6 expecting about 50% greater mileage. I did this also expecting I'd be back on M1's after wearing 'em out. The jury's still out on these with less than 1K mi on 'em so far, but I've been favorably impressed. I'm not quite as aggressive on the Z6's, but already have tread wear all the way to the edges and will see what happens when I continue to push 'em harder. One tiny complaint so far is that I find the rear tends to wander a tad at 90+ mph on the flat. It's hardly worth mentioning because it's a small thing, just a little annoying, and I'm already used to it.

As always, YMMV :race:

Guest callithrix

I'm a big fan of the Pirelli diablos. I convinced my friend to run them on his Multistrada and he's very happy with them also. He got about 5k out of corsa up front and a diablo on the back. He does a lot of canyon riding. He's currently on his second set. The only caveat I offer is that the tyres tend to like higher pressure than most.

I'm currently running a regular diablo up front and 180 Strada in the back. Handling is perfect and the tread is identical the only difference is the center compound is a little a harder, ergo hopefully better mileage.

Overall mileage was excellent for the previous set of regular diablos. I got at least 6500 miles from the rear tire and about 7500 from the the front. I do a lot of commuting so the loss of tire contour was the issue for me. These are guess-timates since the speedo cable crapped out twice. As i said very happy with them, especially the wet weather performance. :race:

Alex, I enthusiastically agree with all your observations above.  The last place to balk on price is tires!

I too went to 160's on the rear and got MUCH better feel and control over the stock 170's (4.5" rim).  I also highly recommend to go with the proper tire for the rim width - NOT the "one width too wide" rear installed by Guzzi on many of the V11's, especially the 180's that came on many (maybe all?) of the 5.5" rims!

As always, YMMV :race:

Alright.!! :thumbsup: well , just a small explanation in shake of understanding ,

As I talked before about the profile 60 0r 70 I have a Sport 1100i and that has a rear tire dimensions 160/70/17 changing to a 60 I meant 160/60/17 - NO changes on the width were made , but on the profile. I guess my bike wears a different tire than most if not all V11's right?!