Oil filter removal

dmoon64

Hi Guys,

I am changing the oil for the first time tonight. Is there a suggestion regarding taking the oil filter out if you didn't buy the correct tool. I am switching away from the Moto Guzzi filter and going to the one that was suggested by Ned's. I bought the wrench that fits the new filter, just didn't want to spend the 50 bucks to buy the old wrench. We don't know which filter is in the bike now, we believe it is the Moto Guzzi filter.

I'm just looking for an easy way to remove the old filter if my assumptions are correct.

Thanks,

Darryl

Speaking from a position of complete ignorance as will become apparent if you read on.

I think there is a strength of feeling to dropping the pan. Apparently the gasket normally doesn't split if you have a spare. Give oportunity to clear wire filter etc.

I went this way for my first filter change*, but ran into difficulty when one of the bolts was a bit reluctant. So in then end I went for a oil change only, have read on wildguzzi than some go for a filter change every third change, and I wanted to use the bike the next day so didn't want to make a bigger job than nessecary.

With my new Allen keys the bolt has undone no problem, just have to decide if to get a clean oil tray so I can reuse the oil I just put in, or do a few miles before going for another complete oil change :luigi:

With pan off I think any strap/chain wrench should suffice. I don't know if there are internals that protrude that would prevent the screwdriver through the case trick. I never got my new filter out the box, so can't say even if it's a true spin on type or mounts over a spigot/pipe thingy ma jig.

* I had counted the numerous topping ups as the equivilent of an oil change :o

Guest ratchethack

Darryl, the "classic" dilemma facing you is, "Can I get the old filter out without dropping the sump?" Well, give it your best shot. The worst case scenario is that you'll have an opportunity to see what lovely little samples of flotsam and jetsam have washed up on the sump screen. In this case, you can ponder their various origins over your favorite beverage, and clean out any accumulated sludge - always a satisfying little exercise. :whistle: One time with my Pal's LeMans we were able to hammer on a billet filter socket with the wrong number of "flutes" and the filter deflected enough to get a good enough grip to be unscrewed. Another time I tried this and it didn't work. NOTE: As with fishing, it seems to help if you hold your mouth right... :grin:

Ok on an 03 Lemans, If I go the remove sump route. There are some metal tubes going in the front of the sump. How difficult are these fittings to remove. All of a sudden I am looking at what looks to be many fittings and fasteners that will need to be removed for a simple oil change.

After getting my LeMans, I purchased a new filter and took it to the parts store. The flutes are different on several brands of filters. As a result, The store carries filter removers, (not a wrench. You have to use a 3/8 ratchet), that are set up for differrent filters. I got on that works perfectly for $3.00. I have allways used the UFI filters. The outside of the spark plug wrench in the tool kit will work on the manhole cover.

If you have never had the pan off, I would recomend you do so. Have a spare gasket handy so you can replace the original if it breaks. It is important to check the filter screen, (pre filter), once in a while. At least so you have a starting point. When reinstalling the pan, coat the top of the gasket, the side toward the engine, with dielectric grease, aka silicone grease, aka plumbers grease. It's cheap. The next time you feel the urge to remove the pan, the gasket will come off with the pan and can be reused. It wont leak and unless you tear it, it will be fine. I have over 61,000 on my EV and only replaced the original pan gasket.

Zoom Zoom,

John Henry

I’ve carried out several oil changes and I’ve never yet managed to remove the filter through the access hole. I’ve tried a variety of home-made tools and even bought a special tool just the right size for the filter but no luck. I always tighten the filter to the specified torque but once it’s been there for a while it seems to get a great grip and won’t budge. Each time I’ve had to remove the sump and use a strap wrench like you’d use on your car. But there has always been enough crud or sludge in the sump to warrant a good clean. There is also a mesh filter in there that needs a periodic clean. With care the old gasket comes away cleanly and can be re-used - the current gasket has survived the last three changes. You also have to disconnect an oil feed pipe at the rear of the sump - this gets tightened up again nice and tight by feel but not too tight! The job appears a bit daunting for the first timer but it's probably quicker to drop the sump than buggering about trying to get the filter out. Anyway I always feel better afterwards knowing that the innards of the sump are nice and clean. Make sure to tighten the sump screws progressively and evenly and apply the correct torque. Good luck.

Guest ratchethack
Ok on an 03 Lemans, If I go the remove sump route. There are some metal tubes going in the front of the sump. How difficult are these fittings to remove. All of a sudden I am looking at what looks to be many fittings and fasteners that will need to be removed for a simple oil change.

61023[/snapback]

Darryl, no need to concern yourself about removal of anything but the sump itself and the external oil return fitting at the rear of the sump. You may be looking at the oil cooler fittings, which don't go into the sump, they're in the sump spacer.

Guest SDKFZ111
I bought all the POS wrenches for the different filters I've tried...  don't waste your money!!

Pull off the pan - the gasket is tough and can be reused several times if you are moderately careful.

Punch screwdriver through filter and spin off.

Voila.

Rj

61030[/snapback]

I've never bothered with the manhole cover route for filter removal,all the filters I've tried to remove with the right tools have collapsed, now I always go in with the Mk 1 large ish screw driver,never fails and cheap. You have to be carefull not to damage any of the plumbing next to the filter as you punch through the filter.Also when refitting the oil feed return pipe make sure you don't crimp/catch the two small 'o' rings, took me a year to get a replacement!

I also drop sump & use strap wrench or screwdriver punched thru filter (punch thru at top/closed end of filter there's no fittings to damage). You can also look up into the cases which is impressive if you never seen it before...

KB :sun:

I should probably also mention that you don't want to use the screwdriver to install the new filter... :thumbsup:

Rj

61038[/snapback]

Hmmm. Perhaps you should clarify what you mean by '...and spin off' too? people could be getting dangerously dizzy.

Reading this oil change thread reminds me of a similar thread on the aprilia forum. (For those who don't remember my story, I'm coming from an aprilia to Moto Guzzi, so all of the internet sites on aprilia's are still fresh in my memory.) One of the best site's on the web for aprilia Falco maintenance is Ken's Site

I have not seen a V11 site set up like this. We could certainly use one. There is a mountain of very useful info on this site, but a V11 MG site, similar to Ken's Site would be a boon to the DIY guzzisti, no?

I nominate ratchethack to come up with a similar V11 site, with photos, on all of the maintenance, mods, etc that can be done by the common V11 owner. Anyone care to second the motion?:bier:

Guest ratchethack

Hey, errrr....thanks Orangeokie (I guess....), but I respectfully decline the nomination due to my chronic Luddite mentality when it comes to computers :homer: , not to mention a bad case of Irascible Curmudgeon syndrome... :( In any event, I think Jaap and all the Guys here do a tremendous job - what more do you want??? I reckon building a better Forum than this wouldn't exactly be any walk in the park, but since you're the one with the idea, who's stoppin' YOU?? :huh2:

I should probably also mention that you don't want to use the screwdriver to install the new filter... :thumbsup:

Rj

61038[/snapback]

Today I pulled my pan as all good Guzzisti should do to feel right with the universe.

I had noticed my oil light flickering on under hard acceleration thinking, perhaps, the oil level was low. I was floinked to find the filter was loose after 6000 miles. Instead of 'hand tightening ' this time , I used the filter wrench to secure the errant squinch.

Very little ( but a little) flotsam, jetsom and other crap showed up around the "filtro a retina' or wire mesh filter to justify my deep endeavor. The same pan gasket appears viable after almost 40,000 miles.

Now, I'm hoping I don't need the screwdriver next time . . . :luigi: