K&N Pods - connect directly to throttle bodies?

Bbennett

Guest jedione68
Velocity stacks.... Pod filters.....

No no no no no.

The original airbox contains an effective modern air filter that stops abrasive dust much more effectively than these primitive items that are really throwbacks to the dog days of Norton and Velocette when the sanded out bores of greasers' cafe racers were rebuilt in the shed every 5000 miles.

Christ, talk about sacrificing function on the altar of style. You lot should go work at Orange County Choppers.

63185[/snapback]

Noqbad,

No no no, watch ya mean no no no.

Everyones entitled to there own persnonnel style. Now if it was a matter

of damaging ones 'BABY" that would be different matter. And the performance

gains w/pods out ways all the other choices, put them on a Dino, back to back and see. But lets just say for argument sake, there equal. When it comes to protecting your engine, I've never had an air-filter proublem on my v11, or

my 76 Lemans, or my t-3 and nor on my little 750 Ducati, all pods, all still run great.

Now when it comes to joining "Orange Coast Choppers" I'd say: Keep a V-Twin

open and clean is the only way to go, I believe Jay Leno said it best years ago

" I'd never trust a V-Twin I can't see through!" Form over function, no way!

Go to the Dino. Not to mention how much cleaner and light the v11 looks with out

the air box.

And in the case of a 35 year old engine, thats been big bored to 1100cc,

performance wasn't the question,the only reason Guzzi put an air box on it was that it would never pass any of those pesty test's all around the world for

noise and E Mis.

Peace, and keep the rubber side down,

Jedione68

P.S. And now you've made me miss my old Commando, darn it.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jedione68
JED...If your serious sbout getting them, BTW they are very cool.  I would call the vendor and ask them how they would fit your application and if any modifications are required.

Mike

63179[/snapback]

Hello Mike,

I'm with you, there hot looking.

I contacted them today via the net to find

out all the facts and if there are mods that will be need.

I'll keep ya posted.

Peace

Jedione68

Hello Mike,

I'm with you, there hot looking.

I contacted them today via the net to find

out all the facts and if there are mods that will be need.

I'll keep ya posted.

Peace

Jedione68

63289[/snapback]

Dave,

I replied to your email you sent through this site. Let me know if you got it.

I'm seriously thinking of getting the covers myself.

Mike

You mean like these.

Featured Items

Scroll down to the stacks.  They offer stacks for the Sport's and V11's

Mike

63135[/snapback]

EWWWW.... they finally updated their stock with some that fit the V11!! :bier:

I've been asking them about ones that would fit since I bought the bike!

UniFilter-Guzzi_72.jpg

....after the V11 line is cancelled of course :rolleyes:

Anyway, I might have to look into these. Neat.

I wonder if the K&N or UNI flow better, or are about the same. Anyone know?

al

EWWWW.... they finally updated their stock with some that fit the V11!!  :bier:

UniFilter-Guzzi_72.jpg

....after the V11 line is cancelled of course  :rolleyes:

Anyway, I might have to look into these.  Neat.

I wonder if the K&N or UNI flow better, or are about the same.  Anyone know?

al

63384[/snapback]

Can't recall where, but I read somewhere that the Uni-Filters flow a little less than the K&N's but nothing filters better.

They look so cool. I'd love to get them but I would hate to start messing with the Powercommander again. I have it setup nearly perfect.

Mike

Guest jedione68

:helmet:

EWWWW.... they finally updated their stock with some that fit the V11!!  :bier:

UniFilter-Guzzi_72.jpg

....after the V11 line is cancelled of course  :rolleyes:

Anyway, I might have to look into these.  Neat.

I wonder if the K&N or UNI flow better, or are about the same.  Anyone know?

al

63384[/snapback]

Al,

Granted it's 2 in the morning and I'm pretty buzed on Tequilia.

But I use to have Uni's on a lot of my bikes, even on my 76 Lemans

up until about three years ago. And nothing stop dust and dirt

like a well oiled Uni ... But I've switched to K&N's.

I've found on the road (riding wise) and on the Dino (fricken Fuel Injection) that

the K&N's and or simular products due flow alot better. For some reason

the air just flows through better. Not to mention they look and last better.

And last but least, the K&N's seem to FIT the bike better, when it

comes to an over all look. Thats the only thing (besides remapping me PCIII)that's keeping from loving these V-stacks... they just eat up to

much room for that clean and light Italian look of a true Euro bike.

But back to the subject. If you run the Uni's against the K&N's on a Dino

you'll find the answer... Then again, if your plaining on ditching the morgage

and all of us we'll hear from you three years from now, some where in deep Africa.

Go with the Uni's 100% X 100.

Oh, and I loved those Valve covers so much that I'll be wearing them

to the "Moto Euro West" Rally. So thanks again to the one who started this chain.

Peace, rubber side down,

Jedione68

P.S. Not bad typing considering I'm seeing ahhh... double.

...these should be about the same length, maybe just a tad longer, than the K&Ns I have fitted now, which are the ones with the angled "throat". So in my case they should look about the same.

If I had just the small conical K&Ns that many have fitted to their TBs, I can see where this might be quite a bit different looking. But in my case, it should be OK. Plus I'll probably be putting my side panels back on(I typically prefer them installed), so that will cover the actual filter. I built a custom frame to support the side panels since the airbox is gone.

Might be an interesting look.

And unless the UNIs flow quite a bit less than the K&N, I doubt it makes too much difference to the map. That's what I was concerned about.

I do agree that the red K&Ns do fit the look better though. I guess one could always just find and fit some K&Ns later to these stacks if one wanted to.

al

Let's see some pictures of your bikes with K&Ns or Unis - let those of us in the peanut gallery be the judges as to what looks better. This Uni setup looks cool.

I thought that eliminating the airbox kills the midrange. Is that not true?

Question for the guys that have removed your air-boxes. What do you do with the hose/hoses that vent into it. I believe it's just the one from the frame.

Mike

Guest Britcheflee

Would the K&N filters fit on the chrome stacks? Not sure I like the look of the big furry looking filters - when you do this do you have to make adjustments to anything else, jets, computer or anything? Another pic or two of the bike from a couple of feet back would be great to get an idea of the overall look. Plus a step by step how to would be great.

Lee

If you mean, "how are the K&N pods installed?" the answer is they simply bolt on to the throttle bodies in seconds. And the map I got with my PC-III incorporated the fact that I have pods. I should also note that there is a noticeable and throaty intake sound from the pods as would be expected. As for rain issues, I live in Seattle and ride year round but store the bike inside a garage and have never experienced any problems but the pods are in such a location where a stationary bike at least could get rain on the pods as mounted. I have elected to keep the pods on the bike as shown in the photo above (not use the rubber intakes in the other photo).

For lurkers, it should be noted that K&N pods are a very common addition to this bike and my configuration is not in any way unique.

Would the K&N filters fit on the chrome stacks?  Not sure I like the look of the big furry looking filters - when you do this do you have to make adjustments to anything else, jets, computer or anything?  Another pic or two of the bike from a couple of feet back would be great to get an idea of the overall look.  Plus a step by step how to would be great.

Lee

63590[/snapback]

From the dealer yesterday:

Hello Al,  Thanks for the interest in the velocity stacks.  I have been getting more interest in them since they hit my website.  I can only do the credit card.  We have not done any comparisons with other filter/stack combos, focusing more on the cosmetic angle.  It provides more of a competition look, also exposing the rear shock and frame.  The Unis are cleanable and reusable,  we also offer K&N's for $50 additional.  We initially went with the Unis because they are lighter.  I don't know the flow rates to compare them.  Please let me know if you would like to order.  Thanks, Dave Blunk, Sport Cycle Pacific, Santa Barbara, Ca.

BTW, I didn't notice any performance degredation by going to the pods. Now, that is not to say an airbox equipped bike(lidless or not) won't perform marginally better with all other things being equal, just that using pods didn't make a huge difference.

I think Todd Eagan had some dyno data that showed the lidless airbox performed a bit better though.

And there are several step-by-step threads.... try a search for "hoses", "pods", etc.

Basically you just take off the airbox, bolt on the pods, strap the air-temp sensor to the frame, and plug the vacuum nipples on the TBs. That's it really. Any other vapor recovery hoses, you just junk or run under the bike. Do a search for "emissions", "vapor", or "recovery" for a multitude of threads on that as well.

And if you only change one thing, like pods, or lidless, or exhaust... you probably won't NEED to remap. But if you really open up the breathing by doing several things like intake, exhause, crossover... you probably will need to correct your now lean condition via a remap of the ECU or a PCIII.

:)