K&N Pods - connect directly to throttle bodies?

Bbennett

Was just over at MotoI in Seattle and they noted I had attached my K&N pods directly to the TB's. They helpfully suggested my re-installing them with the rubber intakes on the original airbox to improve venturi flow. I like the looks of the pods as they are now on my V11.

I searched this site and saw no clear concensus on whether direct attachment to the throttle bodies is ill advised. the bike runs cleanly except for some sputtering around 3800RPM which i feel is a small map problem.

If i do re-install, should I trim the diameter of the rubber intakes slightly for a smoother fit - looks like it would be very tight.

Thanks and sorry for the repeat topic.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was just over at MotoI in Seattle and they noted I had attached my K&N pods directly to the TB's.  They helpfully suggested my re-installing them with the rubber intakes on the original airbox to improve venturi flow.  I like the looks of the pods as they are now on my V11.  . . .

63084[/snapback]

If you have some photos I would like to see how your K&N's are set up.

Thanks.

I agree with Jaap :thumbsup: , mine are attached directly to my tb's & its never been a problem. Chrome plated velocity stacks would look cool though  :whistle:

63126[/snapback]

You mean like these.

Featured Items

Scroll down to the stacks. They offer stacks for the Sport's and V11's

Mike

Guest jedione68
You mean like these.

Featured Items

Scroll down to the stacks.  They offer stacks for the Sport's and V11's

Mike

63135[/snapback]

HEY, COOL SITE!

I love those valve covers, so not to change the subject, but

has anyone seen them or used them? They said some thing

about not having the sensor and breather. Does that mean you

have to have the breather machined out??? Let me know.

Peace and

Rubber side down

JEDIONE68

Guest jedione68
If you have some photos I would like to see how your K&N's are set up.

Thanks.

63089[/snapback]

Hello Guzzi,

Like RADD and a few other's, I totally think your fine

with-out the rubber connector. All it was really doing was

connecting your F.I. to your air box in the first place.

Now on some really state of the art engines, exspecialy on

your smaller C.C. / high reving engines things like down draft

come into play. But we're talking Guzzi 1100cc torque machine.

You'll be fine, not to mention it's a lot cleaner veiw and look with-out them.

That little ruff spot your talking about at 3800???RPM is not caused

by the rubber piece your missing. That flat spot comes from adding

things like slip-on cans, whole exhaust systems and Air-Pods. The problem

is not with adding them, they actually make everthing better and (smile) faster.

The problem is caused by your STOCK Moto Guzzi v11sport "Mapping"

You should and or need to get a Power-Commander, that way you can one:

down-load any number of settings free for your mods and two: you can have

a custom map made to make your ride perfect.

In the mean time, have your shop or a fellow Guzzi buddy (who knows how)

re-adjust your F.I. mixtures and settings. It'll be alot better and you wont

burn out your exhaust valves. But as soon as you can, get your ride either

remapped or a Power-Commander ASAP. So you can live FLAT SPOT free. Good luck.

Peace, and rubber side down,

Jedione68

P.S. Also, you said your up in Seattle??? If so, just be aware of the difference

between living with an Air-Box verse living with Pods when it comes to how much

it rains up there and or how much you'll be ridding in the rain.

I wouldn't worry too much about the rain and K&Ns, I had them fitted to my bike for a while and rode many miles through Scotland last spring in pissing rain and strong sidewinds without a hiccup, I guess some other makes might not be so good at keeping out the rain though (and they need to be oiled with K&N oil).

As for the story of which is better Pods on TB or on the plastic tubes I can't comment I had mine on the plastic tubes, and they seemed pretty good but I went back to my open K&N airbox as it obviosly needed a bit of PC111 tweaking and I couldn't afford it at the time. Still keen to do a comparison between pods and airbox at my local dyno but need some spare cash.

Mal :helmet:

HEY, COOL SITE!

I love those valve covers, so not to change the subject, but

has anyone seen them or used them?  They said some thing

about not having the sensor and breather.  Does that mean you

have to have the breather machined out??? Let me know.

Peace and

Rubber side down

JEDIONE68

63155[/snapback]

JED...If your serious sbout getting them, BTW they are very cool. I would call the vendor and ask them how they would fit your application and if any modifications are required.

Mike

Velocity stacks.... Pod filters.....

No no no no no.

The original airbox contains an effective modern air filter that stops abrasive dust much more effectively than these primitive items that are really throwbacks to the dog days of Norton and Velocette when the sanded out bores of greasers' cafe racers were rebuilt in the shed every 5000 miles.

Christ, talk about sacrificing function on the altar of style. You lot should go work at Orange County Choppers.

<_>

surely if someone wants to fit pods thats up to them.

I am saying they are fabulous for performance (don't know theanswer to that one)but as for pods letting in abrasive materials, if they are a good make (K&N) I don't see this being a problem I've run huge milages on older Guzzis with pods with no wear on the engine.

Mal :helmet:

HEY, COOL SITE!

I love those valve covers,

63155[/snapback]

I concur. Those are cool lookin' valve covers. The V-stacks are pretty cool looking as well. Wish they'd had them before I cut up my plasic stacks.

That is one drawback to using the OEM plastic stacks. Maybe someone has crammed a K&N over the end bevel, but I couldn't, so I cut it off. Now they are not going to fit into the OEM airbox should I ever decide to put it back on. It's a mixed decision- better air flow (purportedly) but loss of OEM parts.

Some of my reasoning to use pods is cosmetic- I'll own up to that. I like the look. Another part was that I like the sound. Did it really improve the performance? I can't answer that because I've never done a dyno. I *think* my bike goes better, so for me the placebo is just as effective.

They are not a problem in the rain. Never had an issue with that. Do keep them reasonably clean and oiled, though.

The fewer things connected in the air or fuel flow system, the better ... IMHO

My pods are direct onto the TB with no probs at all (though I do have em wired in case they loosen up).

I don't worry about letting more "stuff" into the motor. Long experience with race and high mileage motors using K&Ns and similar. Never seen premature wear associated with an air filter of this type (and I'm in a very sandy and dusty area). I'm guessing the particle size is insignifcant. Everyone has an opinion though, so follow your conscience.

cheers!