No more V11 LeMans ???

dangerous

I know a person or two who insist that REAL Guzzi twins are ..... and they can back up their claim with even more rationale and data.

66072[/snapback]

It's a good job that this light-hearted banter is only about the Guzzi twins. If we were talking about the Kray twins they would certainly back up their claims with even more, er, 'rationale and data'. Except they're dead. – Just like the brutish V.11 then.

krays_lg_new.jpgWhere did I park me characterful but brutish Guzzi twin, twin?

You parked it in the side of your characterful but brutish Cobra, twin.

Oh right, twin, we'll have to take the new nancy-boy bikes then. Bags I the Griso.

:rolleyes:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow. You guys are reminding me of why I love this forum so much! I finally get a Saturday morning off. The wife is out of town. What better thing to do that catch up here with a big cup of good coffee? :)

On my way to the Hack'd Rally in WV last month on my Ural rig (Yes, I tour on it!), I stopped at Velocity Cycles in Richmond Va. and ran across my old V11S for sale there. It needs a proper cleaning and polishing and some rubber bits are dried out now. But it brought back a rush of good memories. I toured the heck outta that bike while I had it. Its a shame that the importers lousy warranty service spoiled the ownership experience for me because the bike itself was wonderful. Someone brought up earlier how these were like Shelby Cobra's. A bit crude and rough around the edges but with great character. It could be scary fast. Nothing smooth or refined about it. But it did handle better than any other Guzzi I've owned. And that would be eleven Guzzi's before it. And the way it made power and put it to the ground made me grin every time I rode it. One friend of mine who rode it came back almost shaking. Apparently he took my advice to ride it hard and use yellow line as a shift point. He's used to riding a new Triumph Bonneville. I think the experience brought him closer to God because he kept muttering "Jesus Christ" between sentences. :lol: Then he says "You ride this bike ALL the time like that!?". I said "yes"! That was how the bike was meant to be enjoyed. He said it was fun but he wasn't sure he could handle the adreneline rush every day like that.

The design compromises in these bikes that were done to save money such as Sach's suspension and not having a longer swing arm with the pivot point in the proper position never bothered me. I'm a street rider, not a racer. I could never ride it hard enough to see the shortcomings. So they didn't bother me. I was able to modify the front forks easily to handle well for me. (Longer preload spacer and heavier suspension fluid.) Compared to my old Guzzi's, it handled like a dream. Quick and light and almost thought controlled. I saw the bike as a new "Lemans". Yeah, I know it was the V11S. But it looked like a modern Lemans to me. I always thought the newer V11 Lemans should have been called the V11 Lemans ST since the handling had been slowed down a tad and good sport touring bodywork fitted. But that's just my opinion. I once owned a Rennspoort built Lemans CX100. Awesome bike. But the V11S spanked it by handling even better. And the original V11S with the red frame and no fairing and all one-color body work looked very sleek and purposeful to me. The bike fit me like a glove too. I liked the newer Lemans after it, but I thought the black frames and fuzzy black engine and cheesy plastic frame covers were a mistake. They should have left the drivetrain silver, the frames red and uncovered and done the bodywork in all one color like Frank Wedge's red V11 Lemans. THAT would've looked freak'n awesome! What they did build always looked like a hodge podge to me. Like ignorant teenagers who think "customizing" their bike means painting everything black and doing it badly.

The more I look at my own old round head 1979 SP1000 I have torn apart in the shop, the more I wonder if I will go through the restoration. I keep comparing it to the V11S. It'll never handle as well as the V11S. The swing arm feels like an anchor compared to the S's. That's alot of sprung weight. The forks look spindly. I can upgrade the switchgear and electrical system no problem. But I know it'll never make power the way the V11S did. I bought the bike to restore for me and wife to tour on. That, because she didn't like sidecars. Now after the Fall sidecar Rally in Asheville NC last month and a long afternoon in the hack, she's decided she likes them afterall! Leaves me wondering if I finish the SP, will I be able to enjoy it? Comparing it to the handling and power of newer machines will always be a problem. That situation happened at the NY Rally in 1996 when I rode a friends new Cali 1100 FI. Although I have no love of cruisers, that bike just worked so much better than my 1989 Mille' GT that it wasn't even funny. Eventually I bought a Cali and sold the Mille' GT. I'm hoping that since it's been a couple years since I rode the V11S, holding it up to the SP won't be fresh in my mind. Hopefully I'll be able to enjoy the bike on it's own merits.

Thanks for all the thoughtful postings Guys! It's a real pleasure to drop in here!

And half a photo to emphasise the point  :P

:lol:

I tried to load that pjoto of my Sport sitting behind an Eldo three times. Kept timing out on my pushrod dial-up. Funny, tho -

What better thing to do that catch up here with a big cup of good coffee?  :)

V.11 etc story.......

66098[/snapback]

That's nice stuff: interesting comparisons. The thread was worth keeping going.

You've been saving all that up for about 6 months. Does your wife only go out about twice a year? :D

You haven't lived until you've been sucked by your tank!

66071[/snapback]

First time it happened to me, I thougt I was tripping, who could believe a bike could do such a thang.

I tossed the rubber, and then it was true love! :wub:

I do have a full sized arse as well as a full schedule! :P

I was often working 12 hours a day seven days a week this year. I took in a bunch of Guzzi and Ural and sidecar rallies as well! I set aside each wednesday morning for chasing my wife. And if I'm good, she lets me catch her. :blush: And I still have two teenagers to take care of and customers to deal with. That's a pretty full life! Things like a morning on the computer for my own enjoyment, like this morning, get brushed aside for more vital stuff. Sorry!

well , whatever, I've tried again and can't post the picture. "Done" it says. Maybe it should say "piss off."

Perhaps the forum has moved on to the modern Briso drives and I'm left with the half -arsed V11 Sport shite.

Techno-modernism does move on and sometimes yer pushrod-dial-up-two/valve-old techism just won't make a post.

Still had a great ride today. 135 miles, turned 40,000 on the Sport, all beautiful Autumn and crisp revving exhiliration . . .I love this bike!

There, dammit, "p.roper Guzzis" all met up fer "toads in the hole" or the best we can get here in Lower Middle Mule-Town.

66156[/snapback]

I am glad our cousins across the Atlantic are getting the Toad In The Hole thing.

Making me hungry at the thought- have not eaten today just got back from seeing Motorhead at the Manchester Apollo- wow what a performance last time I saw them was nearly 20 years ago but all the fatty food Chav outlets were shut by the time we got out.

Another thing while I am way off thread- I put some new rear Carbon Lorraine brake pads on the bike today and they stunk of fish- what is that all about?

Guy :helmet:

I put some new rear Carbon Lorraine brake pads on the bike today and they stunk of fish- what is that all about?

66160[/snapback]

I've got a theory that fish stink of brake pads.

We all had omellettes or French Toast with coffee in various states of tune.

Next time I promise to ask for 'Toads in the Hole" to honor the Olde Country brethren and leave the waitress agast.

Knowing the Irish Contingent had acknowledged our posts, we paused waiting for the darkening of Scuras on the horizon . . . with no dull roar in the distance as of Spitfires over the hills we allowed ourselves the leave to ply hill and valley echoing off the cliffsides and even rather rattling that one Maserati coupe.

Wish you were here. :bike: