No more V11 LeMans ???

dangerous

I know I'll get howled down here for saying it but I always found the V11 series felt incomplete, it would be unsubtle of me to describe them as half-arsed on this forum :grin: .

65017[/snapback]

half-arsed?!? HALF-ARSED!?!(howling like a dingo)

Pete, you got to go look in your own round head garage if you wanna see half-arsed.

My bike won't be complete until I get the ergos better, the vibration down a tad, the wheels lighter, $3000 in brakes, HID and LED lighting, saddle bags, custom paint, 100RWHP(I can dream), an Ohlins shock, a few tweaks to make the frame more rigid, and longer swing arm.

But it ain't half-arsed. :mg:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:2c: i must say :thumbsup: you are spot on. though i own a modern,smooth,right through the rev range,powerful motorcycle.ie cagiva x tra raptor, with precise handling,braking etc. i still yearn for something, and get a great buzz every time i ride my muzz 660 traveller,with vibes,inperfect handling,and somewhat lack of power. i don't know if its nostalgia or what,my age and what iv'e ridden most of my life. or perhaps i do miss the fingers going numb.but i've enjoyed the rides done recently on v11s.maybe perfect m/cycles become boring.as they are not what we really yearn for. [but the challenge, and nostalgia of days gone] :D

An awful sign when the boys on this forum are lining up to call the V11 "incomplete"

Snap out of it, men!!

Only babies and (the less masculine of us) want anything less than the character and tuneful ride that only the V11 can deliver...........Whatcha want?  A bike that goes, stops and turns like a modern..........uh........JAP BIKE  ?? !!  ??

Why you...........you....................WUSSIES.

Get back on yer bikes.................you guys make me SICK.

65499[/snapback]

...you got to go look in your own round head garage if you wanna see half-arsed.....and longer swing arm.....But it ain't half-arsed. ...

V11's arf-arsed cos.....it was not thoroughly developed, components are mismatched, & it was designed with style taking precedence over function.

With the 6speed box, MG should have redesigned the frame to inc longer s/a & better r suspension. Cos of money or whatever, they didn't - so no advantage was taken of the shorter eng/box. It's a mismatch of the old Sport frame & the new box.

There have been & continue to be problems with the V11 which would not have been had the bike been thoroughly developed before sale.

Much of V11's style is superficial add-on, independent of function.

The Tonti roundheads are not arf-arsed cos.....Their style is a product of function, an integrity of design not found in the V11. Tonti frame still performs well, virtually as originally designed, in today's Calis. That's nearly 35 years. The spine frame is gone (as is the first 6 speed box) already.

To give a V11 the structural integrity of an early Tonti would require major re-engineering (all areas back from gearbox). In it's early years the Tonti was dynamically as good as anything else available, winning UK production championship against best the Japs (& anyone else) had. Look at what Dr John was still doing with them in the 80's. Whatever you think of the V11 - performance wise, it was/is nowhere near it's best contempories.

I like my Scura & intend to keep it, but there's no question - it's arf-arsed.

KB :sun:

...the Griso and Breva is looking like the biggest step away from Guzzi as we know it.... therfore I am very happy to have what I might end up calling the very last true 'Moto Guzzi' ...

Dunno what you mean by true Moto Guzzi.

Have you ridden the new bikes? They work well & are well thought out. They simply address some of the faults & inadequacies of the spine bikes.

But like the V11, style takes precedence over function.

If design integrity & the importance of function over style are the criteria then the last bikes to have a claim to be true would be the 850 Tontis....

But - THEY'RE ALL MOTO GUZZIS - it says so on the tank...it's like the prices for genuine LM1's when the 111 is probably a better bike....just bollocks.

In some ways the spine frames are half -arrsed like the old Shelby Cobra. Charming but rough around the edges. Many things done for expedience. I waited three years for mine from the time the Sport was shown in Munich in 1997.

If I had waited til they sorted out all the kinks I'd still be waiting. No Breva 1100 in this neighborhood yet, let alone a Griso.

Guest ratchethack

The V11 may well be considered half-arsed when viewed against the backdrop of the heyday of the mighty Tonti’s. Sadly, those days are long gone, never to return. Leave us not be deluded into thinking otherwise. -_-

Confession time, Gentlemen. How many of us need, or even want the kind of "latest competitive performance" that's offset by the big bucket o' long obsolete limitations and '80's-era (and even ''60's era!) compromises we all know and admit comes with the V11?! If you came to the V11 for world-beating performance....well, you came to the wrong place.

Since I'm at least wise enough to know my own limitations as a rider, I reckon I'm perfectly matched. :grin:

Guest SDKFZ111
Not quite, stroke remains the same but rods are lengthened I belive this is compensated for by a reduction in deck height. The return of the alternator to the valley of the 'V' coupled with the shorter *new* six speed box has allowed a significant reduction in wheelbase and the *perimiter* frame is all new as is the rising rate rear suspension.

I know I'll get howled down here for saying it but I always found the V11 series felt incomplete, it would be unsubtle of me to describe them as half-arsed on this forum :grin: . The Breva, which is essentially a 'porrige' bike to take sales from chinles BMW riders, feels like a far more complete and rounded package, I'm hoping that the uprated forks, slightly pokier engine and lower gearing of the Griso will make it considerably better than the Breva. Time will tell.

Pete.

65017[/snapback]

Chinles/Chinless Bmw riders? Please explain.

Chinles/Chinless Bmw riders? Please explain.

65604[/snapback]

Chinese BMW riders - the biggest growing economy- think of the potential sales :)

Pete probably saved you there from the angry Teutons do you know what an SDKFZ is

250alte_front_side_copyright_siegfried_bunker.jpg

Its them open face lids they wear- leads to terrible facial injuries! E.g having no chin. Thats why they all have beards too to cover it up.

I can't explain why they wear those funny leather trousers that come up to your nipples with braces though. Anyone have a clue?

Apparently the BMW club have written rules which dictate the formation their Heinkels, sorry I mean BMWs must travel in- all sounds bit too organised for me I like the Guzzi club approach of making it up as we go along.

Guy :helmet:

Guest SDKFZ111
Chinese BMW riders - the biggest growing economy- think of the potential sales :)

Pete probably saved you there from the angry Teutons do you know what an SDKFZ is

250alte_front_side_copyright_siegfried_bunker.jpg

65606[/snapback]

Yes Martin that is an Sdkfz 250.

Guest SDKFZ111
Its them open face lids they wear- leads to terrible facial injuries! E.g having no chin. Thats why they all have beards too to cover it up.

I can't explain why they wear those funny leather trousers that come up to your nipples with braces though. Anyone have a clue?

Apparently the BMW club have written rules which dictate the formation their Heinkels, sorry I mean BMWs must travel in- all sounds bit too organised for me I like the Guzzi club approach of making it up as we go along.

Guy  :helmet:

65607[/snapback]

Thats funny I don't wear an open face hemet but I do have a beard, I wear the same gear for the BMW and the Goose. I normally ride an open formation on my ME109 with my brother as wingman on his Tuono, much more flexable zan any rigid formation I zink! Do I qualify as as chinless or not, prey do tell.

Thats funny I don't wear an open face hemet but I do have a beard, I wear the same gear for the BMW and the Goose. I normally ride an open formation on my ME109 with my brother  as wingman on his Tuono, much more flexable zan any rigid formation I zink! Do I qualify as as chinless or not, prey do tell.

65615[/snapback]

Well you have a Guzzi which means you probably have a decent chin amd prefer ladies to men!

Guest goffredo
An awful sign when the boys on this forum are lining up to call the V11 "incomplete"

Snap out of it, men!!

Only babies and (the less masculine of us) want anything less than the character and tuneful ride that only the V11 can deliver...........Whatcha want?  A bike that goes, stops and turns like a modern..........uh........JAP BIKE  ?? !!  ??

Why you...........you....................WUSSIES.

Get back on yer bikes.................you guys make me SICK.

65499[/snapback]

The V11 is a bike that has been released without being tested first. This is a fact. End of story.

Regarding the name Le Mans my opinion is that they should have never used the name Le Mans for a V11 with fairing. I ride a V11 and it is NOT a sport bike. I rode V11 Le Mans and it is NOT a sport bike. For fun I do some racing on a 1978 Le Mans 850 and that WAS a sport bike.

Techincally speaking, with special attention to frame design, the V11 series is one of the worst display of engineering in the whole history of Moto Guzzi. The frame of the first series, the rear fork, the way they "fix" the frame on the second series are a shame to anyone who loves mechanic.

The fact that the V11 is at the very same time one of the most beautiful bike I have ever ridden, and that riding it in certain condition is a sheer joy does not change what I have said.

Life is complicated, I think.

Having said so, I wish we'll have a V12 soon. Same style, same marvellous design by Marabese or Frascoli BUT with a real frame this time!!! THEN, MAYBE... I'll change my V11Sport 2000.

G.

The V11 is a bike that has been released without being tested first. ......Techincally speaking, with special attention to frame design, the V11 series is one of the worst display of engineering in the whole history of Moto Guzzi. The frame of the first series, the rear fork, the way they "fix" the frame on the second series are a shame to anyone who loves mechanic. The fact that the V11 is at the very same time one of the most beautiful bike I have ever ridden, and that riding it in certain condition is a sheer joy does not change what I have said.....

E X A C T L Y

:thumbsup: