Steepest Road

belfastguzzi

Steepest road in Northern Europe apparently.

Pity we can't see the road. Anyone been there or seen pictures?

troll2002.13.jpg

It's in the Naeroyvalley

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst wizzing around Scotland this summer I was quite taken by a short stretch on the A939 in the Cairngorms. It seemed to go straight up. Looking on the map there is obviously bends on it. But it seemed to be the steepest piece of main road I'd come across.

scot1.jpg

It's the Scura effect.

67126[/snapback]

Funny, I don't see any blistered engine paint and oily fingermarks that just won't come out....

This is the Scura effect:

'On direct examination Dr. Scura testified that "from the time sequencing and the resultant symptoms it seems like there was a cause and effect relationship" between the claimant's TMJ pain and the noise he heard when the automobile passed him on the road. Dr. Scura testified that it was not the noise itself that caused the claimant's injury, but rather the claimant's quick neck movement in response to the noise.'

– APPEAL OF WINFORD A. CHICKERING, JR.

(New Hampshire Compensation Appeals Board)

It's now used to describe the odd way that Tenni riders hold their heads, after neck injuries sustained when Scuras pass them on the road.

I think I was hit by a Scura.

Driving up the B4030 on friday, I heard a loud bang, and felt the suspension bounce slightly. Thinking I had hit a lidless manhole, I stopped and looked for damage on the wheels and sills. Nothing.

When I got home, my neighbour pointed out a 6" dent in the crease of the bonnet.

I guess a ghostly Scura rider appeared from the dark side, jumped my car and made off into a parallel universe. I saw nothing. I'm just left with a big bill to repair my 3 month old Skoda.

I HATE THOSE SCURISTI DAMMIT!

If you like steep then Porlock Hill near Minehead is bloody steep a 1 in 4 hill- and if you want a challenge the Hardknott and Wrynose passes in the Lake District are not the steepest but there are some great crests and rises to test yourself against.

Hey Belfast, for once l do agree with you :thumbsup:

Thats the look we :helmet: Tennista :sun: get watching you :ninja: scura-ring away from the twisties and mountain passes in fright to go back to the urban blight where you seem to thrive! :grin:

Come on, Get out there, try the fun roads, and leave the boring ones to the Harley :angry: riders.

Besides, at least all (yes even the dreaded Scura) Guzzis :mg: Can rock and roll down some interesting bit of pavement, :race: and not have to be parked at a bar or coffee shop to look cool.

ahem,... l DO hope that you're not always parked at the pub supping Guiness?

mmmmmm?

doesn't sound all that bad?

:bier:

Cheers

Van

Steepest Hills?

Not too sure, but l think the steepest hill in these parts is the great climb as you head east on Hwy. #3 coming out of Osoyoos towards Rock Creek in the southern B.C. interior. Always an absolute blast, and as close as it comes to flying on two wheels, the grade is good and steep and looong, the road smooth and wide, and the traffic (what traffic) scarce. And the sound of a Guzzi, using its great torque as it obliterates :race: that hill is, well just so damned perfect that it brings a tear to my eye!l

The other great climb is the one just coming out of Hope, again on Hwy.#3 as you pass the spot of the Hope Slide (check it out, the whole side of the bloody mountain came away) long and wide, it seems to go on forever and by the time you get to the top, you are SOO far ahead of that annoying slow traffic on the Trans-Canada that you can start to unwind and enjoy the rest of a great ride.

Right behind my house on Vancouver lsland is Mt. Washington, and a great climb, spoiled by the fact that they use a chip and spray surface that is a bit too loose for serious up-hill blasting.

Cheers

Van

Funny, I don't see any blistered engine paint and oily fingermarks that just won't come out....

67136[/snapback]

Ohh My Gawd !!!!

Do you mean to tell me that it's not just us fine :helmet: Tennista :sun: with crappy engine paint but the Scuristas :ninja: too??

Oh, Oh, if we have things in common we might just start to get along !! :o

Cheers

Van