Steepest Road

belfastguzzi

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbsup:

67282[/snapback]

:lol: Who changed the pic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ?

The lovely Scura pic has gone! And it's been replaced by the picture of a young chap who's just seen his first Tenni.

Surely it can't have been Lex? Must have been BadJaap?

Van - don't forget the route up Mt Baker here in Washington State (it is a volcano) - it gets fairly steep too. I do not mean to be macabre but this shot was taken about 50' from a fatality that occured when a young fellow missed a turn by himself. BTW, I finally replaced the Mickey Mouse ear mirrors - still seen on this shot from July however.

Guzzi_Baker_mod2.jpg

Martin - I replaced them (the OE mirrors) with Napoleon's - much classier headgear

67303[/snapback]

Sorry, I was just a little bit bored. Don't worry I'm not going to change them for a set of Napoleons mirrors or even brandies :)

But I went and found Jaap's picture of the steepest hill in Holland.

post-6-1085930614_thumb.jpg

From this post

There are almost no fences on the route up Mt Baker Washington (USA) and I could not help thinking what it would be like to go off the road when alone [as I was] and just land (even if OK) out of sight of anyone passing by. Good reason to carry a cel phone.

Re: my earlier post. Somewhat ironically the fatality this summer near that picture occured where there was a fence - actually a 3/4 meter stone wall - on the apex of a near 180 degree hairpin turn. The poor fellow hit the wall at speed and was launched. Of course if there had been no fence the result would have been "briefly" even more dramatic. Needless to say I took this particular turn at a sober speed and walked back when I saw the flowers and notes on the damaged wall. I recall I did not encounter a single other vehicle going down the mtn that day and the road surface was so fresh there were no stripes yet painted. In places it was like a track out in the middle of nowhere.

Actually, he found a steeper hill, but it was not paved... :(

dike1kt.jpg

67341[/snapback]

BB, If he ever wants to go riding with you on Mt Baker: Just Say No. It's for his own good.

Martin - I replaced them (the OE mirrors) with Napoleon's - much classier headgear

67303[/snapback]

Napoleons??

Send a pic, do they vibrate as badly as the O.E.M.'s?

My son and gave up on a blast up Mt. Baker this June, it was pissing rain :bbblll: and the roads where slick from the logging trucks, besides, we had just had a GREAT :race: ride over the Cascades from Winthrop and were still enjoying that high when we hit the rain.

:bier:

Cheers

Van

:lol:  Who changed the pic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ?

The lovely Scura pic has gone! And it's been replaced by the picture of a young chap who's just seen his first Tenni.

Surely it can't have been Lex? Must have been BadJaap?

67285[/snapback]

Poor little fella, :(

l'd be crying too if l was shown a Tenni :wub: and then told that l couldn't have one, (they ARE so rare, you see) but then told that one day l'd turn into a fine chap who could ride a Scarry Scura :ninja:

:bier:

Cheers

Van

• 3 weeks later...
Steepest road in Northern Europe apparently.

Pity we can't see the road. Anyone been there or seen pictures?

troll2002.13.jpg

It's in the Naeroyvalley

67053[/snapback]

This thread has long since been hijacked, but here goes....

Steepest hill: Its in Norway. Its is a road in western Norway in the Nærøy-valley called Stalheimskleiva (kleiva = the hill). It has an 18% gradient, 13 turns in 1,5 kms, ascends 350 meters and is quite frightening when you are in the middle of it. On teh side of the road theres a 100m drop to the bottom, and not much of a crash barriere.

My father once drove up there in our old Beetle, and was forced to stop when the car in front of him; a frenchman in a Citroen with a huge caravan in tow, had to stop and began to slide slowly backwards towards him down the hill. Scary stuff. I strongly strongly recommend a bike odyssey in western Norway, you'll find roads there so challenging and fun to ride on that you wont believe it. Some pics :20030726_0014.jpg44192531.DSC_9126b.jpgp17844.jpg