Steepest Road

belfastguzzi

This thread has long since been hijacked, but here goes....

Steepest hill: Its in Norway. Its is a road in western Norway in the Nærøy-valley called Stalheimskleiva (kleiva = the hill). It has an 18% gradient, 13 turns in 1,5 kms, ascends 350 meters and is quite frightening when you are in the middle of it. On teh side of the road theres a 100m drop to the bottom, and not much of a crash barriere.

Some pics :20030726_0014.jpg44192531.DSC_9126b.jpgp17844.jpg

69330[/snapback]

Wow! That last pic looks like more than 18%. The east side of Sonora Pass here in CA has a section marked 26% and it didn't seem as steep as the one in your pics. Hate to be on it when it was snowing.

According to this, the steepest in the world is 38%. Yikes!

Steepest road in the world

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, just found this thread so had to lob my twopennyworth in. I've ridden and driven most of the major mountain roads and passes in the UK, Alps, Pyrennies and dolomites and still the steepest road I know is in my fire stations area. It's only short maybe 100yds long but is definately approaching 1 in 1. I have failed to get up it in a couple of our older machines and even the current dennis and scania appliances find it hard going. I will try to get a picture next tour. Every winter we get a series of accidents when it ices up and cars just hurl down it out onto the major road at the bottom where it joins. We also get people who get stuck half way up and have had to winch a couple to the top.

Cheers Gary. :bier:

PS wouldn't mind scandinavia myself in 2007 if I can work the time off.