Winter!!

Ouiji Veck

Yeah, it was some guy in Minnesota who thought 5 was depressing and decided to call it 40 instead. :rolleyes:

You guys are gonna have to work on your alibis. I would be riding , but, on the last really nice day I was attacked by a man-eating Honda dirt bike.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also can someone tell me what the hell Farenheit it based on? did some guy just go eh it feels like... and make it all up?

69373[/snapback]

Here is Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit's explanation:-

Antequam autem experimentorum recensionem aggrediar, necesse ecrit, ut paucis quaedam de thermometris, quae a me construuntur, eorumque scalae divisione, ut & de methodo evacuandi, qua usus sum, mentionem faciam. Duo potissimum genera thermometrorum a me conficiuntur, quorum unum spiritu vini & alterum argento vivo est repletum: Longitudo eorum varia est, pro usu, cui inservire debent: Omnia autem in eo conveniunt, quod in omnibus scalae gradibus concordent, interque limites fixos variationes suas absolvant. Thermometrorum scala, quae meteorologicis observationibus solummodo inserviunt, infra a Zero incipit & 96to gradu finitur. Hujus scalae division tribus nititur terminis fixis, qui arte sequentimodo parari possunt; primus illorum in informa parte vel initio scalae reperitur, & commixtione glaciei, aquae, & salis Armoniaci vel etiam maritimi acquiritur; huic mixturae si thermometron imponitur, fluidum ejus usque ad gradum, qui zero notatur, descendit. Melius autem hyeme, quam aestate hoc experimentum succedit. Secundus terminus obtinetur, si aqua & glacies absque memoratis salibus commiscentur, imposito thermometro huic mixturae, fluidum ejus tricesimum secundum occupat gradum, & terminus initii congelationis a me vocatur; aquae enim stagnantes tenuissima jam glacie obducuntur, quando hyeme liquor thermometri hunce gradum attingit. Terminus tertius in nonagesimo sexto gradu reperitur; & spiritus usque ad hunc gradum dilatatur, dum thermometrum in ore vel sub axillis hominis in statu sano viventis tam diu tenetur donec perfectissime calorem corporis acquisivit. Si vero calor hominis febri vel alio morbo fervente laborantis investigandus est, alio thermometro utendum, cujus scala usque ad 128 vel 132 gradum prolongata est. An autem hi gradus ferventissimo calori alicujus febris sufficiant nondum expertus sum, vix tamen credendum, quod cujusdam febris fervor gradus memoratos excedere debeat. Thermometrorum scala, quorum ope ebullientium liquorum gradus caloris investigatur, etiam a zero incipit & 600 continet gradus, hoc enim circiter gradu Mercurius ipse (quo thermometron repletum est) incipit ebullire.

:D

What electrics are you wearing?  :D

69406[/snapback]

Hi Anthony..

No Electrics....Hippo hands...light gloves .(can't stand bulky gloves) 2 pairs of sox

Long underware..jeans, Leather chaps..

t-shirt, long sleve jersey, T-shirt, nylon wind breaker, leather jacket

I'm fine down to 35F. I take an xtra sweat shirt and heavier gloves in my

tank bag just in case. Below 35 I don't want to be out there too much...

Ice shows up in unexpected places.

Hi Anthony..

No Electrics....Hippo hands...light gloves .(can't stand bulky gloves) 2 pairs of sox

Long underware..jeans, Leather chaps..

t-shirt, long sleve jersey, T-shirt,  nylon wind breaker, leather jacket

I'm fine down to 35F. I take an xtra sweat shirt and heavier gloves in my

tank bag just in case. Below 35 I don't want to be out there too much...

Ice shows up in unexpected places.

69425[/snapback]

Hey Veck-

I do the layer thing, too, but I can't get comfortable with the bulk, so I don't stay out very long. I live near Wash DC and winter can be dry, so I am missing sunny, blue sky opportunities to not work around the house :D

Had a lovely winter ride today in the Yorkshire Dales to Hawes then back through the Forest Of Bowland with Mal.

Experienced torrential rain, mild sunshine, fog, more rain then more sun then freezing cold as the sun set.

Roads were fantastic and the scenery awesome- hardly any other bikers out there- all you guys who have your rides tucked away for the winter are missing out!

Guy :helmet:

Theres too much snow to ride here lately :( I'm hoping that it clears out by next Sunday so that I can ride to the next Guzzi breakfast in my area. Anything above freezing with clean dry roads works for me. I refuse to ride in the rain as I'm a pussy lol :D

Went for a 230 mile round trip with Mal to the seaside town of Whitby today. Was a positively tropical 10 degrees C and for the first time in weeks the roads were dry. Ate Haddock and chips as is the Whitby tradition. Got colder after sunset and I was glad of my heated grips.

Was a few other bikes out today including some prat on a gold Pan European who blocked me in the car park.

Nice to get some fresh sea air though.

Also did 110 miles yesterday on my own over the local moors.

Winter biking is fun when the weather is not too bad like today.

Day off today, I had planned on sneaking out and trying my new tyres but I got summonsed from my bed this morning - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4517962.stm was tempted to take the bike but the car won as still a little icy. But tomorrow I'm back on early- late shifts (1200-2200) so the ice should have all gone and hopefully not be too bad at home time. Either the airborne particles will plunge Hertfordshire in to a nuclear winter or might keep some of the warmth in and create smog. Luckily the dust cloud is just passing south of where we live, but is a concern if heads our way with the youngest lads lung condition. He has a bit of a cold anyway so are considering his supplementary oxygen anyway. We're better off than the people whose windows and doors were blown out, and they're infinatley better off than the residents of Bhopal. The risks of modern living :(

Guest redguzziv10

went out saturday morning. the thermothingy read -2'C.

started the bike to warm up while i was putting my gear on, and noticed it was running a bit rough.

Nevertheless, went away to shut the garage and when i came back saw a fine jet of petrol spraying over the tarmac.

turns out to be a loose fuel feed pipe.

As this has not happened before i can only assume that the rubber pipe was so cold it had lost it's flexibility and had worked itself off.

could have been nasty if i hadn't spotted it.

So a word of caution is hereby put forward to anyone who rides in the cold

Guest Cantaloop

Salt? I hate salt...

even more

since I have some polished rims on my v11...

But i do have some polished rims on my California too.. :blush: shit, ok, i will go with my old california.. :huh2:

Went for a 230 mile round trip with Mal to the seaside town of Whitby today. Was a positively tropical 10 degrees C and for the first time in weeks the roads were dry. . . Winter biking is fun when the weather is not too bad like today.

70306[/snapback]

Sounds great. I am going to have to keep reading about your and Veck's outings, I am grounded until spring. I lost both of the bushings on the front cross-over and it is 3-4 weeks for the parts. No idea how it happend. Any ideas for substitute parts?