Ohlins?

Guest PJBrendel

Guest PJBrendel

I'm looking to purchase a Guzzi. I'm specifically interested in the Ballabio and Cafe sport models and was wondering if I will benefit from the Ohlins suspension on the Cafe sport. I'll probably never get to do a track day, and will use the bike mostly to ride around Long Island, NY. A lot the riding will be on parkways at an average speed 70 mph. Is there any benefit to the better suspension for this type of riding?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Paul

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have ridden several V11s with 40mm Marzocchis, one with 43mm Marzocchis and my own Ohlins shod Rosso Corsa.

The Ohlins sprung bike is the best for sure- it is worth having for the road even if you do not do trackdays because you get that solid floaty feeling over bumps when your riding companions are wobbling and shaking.

Saying that I am sure you will be happy with a 43mm Marzocchis for the road- they have better adjustibilty over the 40mm but if you don't thrash it you may be satisfied with the 40mms.

You pays yer money and takes yer choice.

Take some test rides and make up your own mind.

Guy :helmet:

I bounce around on the standard 43s Never adjusted them. Does me fine. I'm also a bit on the lardy side which probably doesn't help matters either , other than the sprung to unsprung ratio :P

Sorry the finer things in life are wasted on me.

Guest PJBrendel

So from what I gather it seems the Ohlins improve even the road ride over standard forks, especially the 40mm ones. I don’t ride fast or hard so the 43 mm standard forks would probably be OK. The question I have about the standard fork on the recent (2004) Ballabio is the size. The US site lists them at 40mm, is this incorrect? It seems the more recent Ballabios have the 43mm forks.

Thanks,

Paul

So from what I gather it seems the Ohlins improve even the road ride over standard forks, especially the 40mm ones.  I don’t ride fast or hard so the 43 mm standard forks would probably be OK.  The question I have about the standard fork on the recent (2004) Ballabio is the size.  The US site lists them at 40mm, is this incorrect?  It seems the more recent Ballabios have the 43mm forks. 

Thanks,

Paul

76547[/snapback]

43mm

From a UK dealers site, but I think it's a straight lift from the brochure

A sensitive front end with Marzocchi 43 mm upside down fork and adjustable rebound and preload makes light work of sudden direction changes and series of bends. The rear suspension comprises a Sachs monoshock with adjustable compression, rebound and spring preload and a die cast cantilever swinging arm in ultra-lightweight alloy. Suspension of this level ensures impeccable road holding and exceptional stability when powering out of bends. The rear suspension is also quick and easy to adjust to match a rider’s weight and riding style and road conditions.

I would think it's a typo, but its not unknown to be bits and bobs but normally with minor ancillaries.

Edit - Definite TYPO on the US site.

My 2002.5 V11 Sport (with 40mm forks) had terrible stock suspension. The forks and the shock were both under-sprung and overdamped. The shock was easily replaced (not cheap) and the forks were a relatively cheap fix (new springs and lighter suspension fluid).

It's a toss-up really. If you run into the same situation as me, it will cost you a front suspension re-work (springs & fluid - @ $150) and a new shock (Ohlins shock @ $800).

...My 2002.5 V11 Sport (with 40mm forks) had terrible stock suspension.  The forks and the shock were both under-sprung and overdamped. ....

My Scura had terrible stock (Ohlins) suspension! - undersprung & overdamped. Cost me for new springs & still haven't sorted damping. But I believe the later Ohlins equiped bikes come better set up.

Ohlins are nicely made, very low friction, have stacks of adjustment but IMO are designed for low mileage sports & track use - has anyone out there got more than 6k miles out of a set of fork seals?

All I'm saying is w/ Ohlins it's not all plusses - For me, & what I want, I would still have the Ohlins. Depends what you want out of the bike.

KB :sun:

I've done about 12500 miles on my Ohlins forks without new seals- I think they are different spec to the Scura forks...

:huh: I've done for three pairs in 16k miles - now on to 4th. AFAIK R&T43 forks are same on 02/03 just diferent springs/damping set up? According to Ohlins shop I asked to look spec cards are v similar. The last seals I put in are the current redesign w/ext lip.

Both sides tend to go at roughly the same time. I keep the stanchions clean, even smear them w/ Ohlins grease. No wheelies, tho I do use the brakes pretty hard sometimes. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, maybe it's the way I ride or the roads I ride on, I dunno. But it's a PIA. Any ideas?

KB :sun:

Keith

Well I can't confess to any dark secrets as to how mine have stayed reliable- just lucky I guess.

The roads around here are extremely bumpy- although not quite as bad as the ones I encountered while lapping Ireland.

I tend to brake hard too but keep the compression 2 clicks above standard to prevent excessive dive.

You are welcome to take it for a few laps around Angelsey if you fancy comparing the set up.

Guy :helmet: