Ohlins?

Guest PJBrendel

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, Lawn Guyland. My experience suggests that you're best off driving these roads in my mom's blue 1978 Olds Delta 88. Drinking cheap beer, listening to Led Zepplin on bad speakers, and packing in numerous high school buddies should significantly enhance your experience. If you're doing it right, you'll feel like you're floating - much better than Ohlins. For this type of riding, I'd get a radar detector instead.

76646[/snapback]

[/quote Hey bud, you got room for one more in the "Delta"? I think I still remember how to "roll" ..... :grin::bier::blush:

76800[/snapback]

Sure, the one rule is: you must stick your head out the window to :vomit: .

Unfortunately I ran over a "yield" sign during one of my last adventures in this vehicle. I found this both ironic and humorous; the cops...not so much. :homer: Haven't been in jail since.

Track days almost make being an adult worthwhile :race: .

You have a 2002 spec bike if you have the wrinkle/fuzzy black engine paint, and external fuel pump.

All 2003 V11 Naked models that I have seen are actually holdover 2002 spec models.

As such, if you do not have a hollow front axle, and you have the huge "tinker toy" caps on the top of your forks with a "C" and "R"... you have the older 40mm Marz that have assymetric compression and rebound damping(only one in each leg), and no preload adjustment.

Al

76805[/snapback]

Oh yah, the the Balbabio probably has the later Marzocchi which may be closer in quality to the Ohlins. :huh2: Has anyone compared both Marzocchis? Perhaps it is better sprung and damped right off the showroom floor :huh2:

There is no substitution for proper setup, but for the LIE comfort without bottoming is your goal.

If you take the BQE or the FDR, you need STIFF SPRINGS(or a Quota) to prevent bottoming, unless the city got its act together(I have not been there in 9 years, but I have fond memories of the LIE in a Pontiac Catalina...I guess Ghost Motorcycles in Port Washington is gone.)

On a side note, the LIE in Summer willl shorten your engine life if you don't split lanes, or do something to mitigate the heat. Get the ECU re-mapped or a PCIII or even just have the dealer make the trim a little richer(than EPA regulated) to help reduce low rpm engine temperature.

Perhaps a manually activated fan on your oil cooler may help, too, although the problem is more head temperature than oil temperature.

Sure, the one rule is: you must stick your head out the window to  :vomit: .

Unfortunately I ran over a "yield" sign during one of my last adventures in this vehicle.  I found this both ironic and humorous; the cops...not so much. :homer:  Haven't been in jail since.

Track days almost make being an adult worthwhile  :race: .

76812[/snapback]

Well, at one point a year or two before it's ultimate demise, the rear power windo motors on my old "98 Regency" failed to function anymore, so :vomit: ... would indeed be a bad idea :o

And toward the end of it's life, I actually put some big knobby truck tires on the back, and used to go "mudding" with the car sometimes, even climbing old levees and such.

It really was nearly indestructable :wacko:

al

Well, at one point a year or two before it's ultimate demise, the rear power windo motors on my old "98 Regency" failed to function anymore, so  :vomit:  ... would indeed be a bad idea  :o

And toward the end of it's life, I actually put some big knobby truck tires on the back, and used to go "mudding" with the car sometimes, even climbing old levees and such.

It really was nearly indestructable  :wacko:

al

76825[/snapback]

Yes, but most of my youth was spent implementing bad ideas. It seemed like the best way to have fun at the time.

We had no levees and most of my childhood environs was paved, but they forgot to asphalt the football field...

Guest PJBrendel

Guzzisti,

It only hurt cause it was too close to the truth, about thirty years ago that is. Posted "Ouch" note after I stopped laughing.

Paul

The ohlins on my Duc 998 have been nothing short of fantastic on rough surface backroads once they were properly adjusted by Lindemann Egineering( suspension guru to many racers), but the leak problem showed up as early as 1700 miles. The ohlins on my Coppa are even better out of the box without any adjustment( yet to come) but the compliance and ride control makes them worth the extra dough IMHO. As far as riding in NY , hopefully the roads have gotten better over the last 30 years, otherwise... Fuggedaboutit!