[BOM] Speechless in Atlanta

Bill Hagan

Well, speechless for the moment is better than being a castrato in a boys' choir, which is where I am likely to be when the V11 Sports SWAT crew finds me. :ninja:

That danger understood, Kathi and I are very excited about this and understand there are various perks that come with this honor, with the premium-class KLM flight to Amsterdam for the induction ceremony, the Moto Guzzi motorcade to Mandello, and the various press events throughout the EU as just the beginning. :D

Seriously, I suspect there will be a call for revision of rules soon (!), and my EV may not grace the forum as BOM for all of March (Feb, as a shorter month, might have been safer).

I understand that Calis do not call to everyone, and may even seem repulsive to some in the spine-frame crowd, either for looks, performance, both, or more.

That said, tonti-framed Calis are really rather remarkable motorcycles. Having both a Ballabio and an EV, I find them both so different in all the ways you'd expect, yet unmistakably Guzzis, too.

And, I assure you that a Cali in competent hands (that is not code for mine) can embarrass a Sport ridden less well. A local Guzzista and friend, Wayne Orwig, who makes riding look like dancing (an odd compo, perhaps, but I have in mind the fluidity that gifted riders bring to our sport) has two EV's (96 & 04) and a Centauro. It is only a bit of an exaggeration to say that he is a challenge to keep up with--when he is two-up with his Vicky and pulling a trailer! :o --when I'm on the Ballabio. Yeah, don't doubt that many here could have him fade in their mirrors, but fewer than think they could. :race:

But my point is to suggest that if you have never ridden one ... and can get past the styling ... do so. If you are in Atlanta, ride mine (after the Barber Motorsport Museum returns from BOM viewing, of course! :D Flog it. When the suspension is right, everything else is, too, and you will drop squids. As an aging boomer, I love doing that.

Of course, as an aging boomer, I also realize I will not ride forever, so I do it every chance I get. Went out for lunch break today, and, rather than eating dead meat on bread, ran the Ballabio hard thru some virtually deserted roads in the rolling hills around here, south of Atlanta. What joy. BOM (or day or week) and this, too. Life is good. :mg:

Bill

Well, speechless for the moment is better than being a castrato in a boys' choir, which is where I am likely to be when the V11 Sports SWAT crew finds me.  :ninja:

That danger understood, Kathi and I are very excited about this and understand there are various perks that come with this honor, with the premium-class KLM flight to Amsterdam for the induction ceremony, the Moto Guzzi motorcade to Mandello, and the various press events throughout the EU as just the beginning.  :D 

Seriously, I suspect there will be a call for revision of rules soon (!), and my EV may not grace the forum as BOM for all of March (Feb, as a shorter month, might have been safer). 

I understand that Calis do not call to everyone, and may even seem repulsive to some in the spine-frame crowd, either for looks, performance, both, or more.

That said, tonti-framed Calis are really rather remarkable motorcycles.  Having both a Ballabio and an EV, I find them both so different in all the ways you'd expect, yet unmistakably Guzzis, too.

And, I assure you that a Cali in competent hands (that is not code for mine) can embarrass a Sport ridden less well.  A local Guzzista and friend, Wayne Orwig, who makes riding look like dancing (an odd compo, perhaps, but I have in mind the fluidity that gifted riders bring to our sport) has two EV's (96 & 04) and a Centauro.  It is only a bit of an exaggeration to say that he is a challenge to keep up with--when he is two-up with his Vicky and pulling a trailer!  :o --when I'm on the Ballabio.  Yeah, don't doubt that many here could have him fade in their mirrors, but fewer than think they could.  :race:

But my point is to suggest that if you have never ridden one ... and can get past the styling ... do so.  If you are in Atlanta, ride mine (after the Barber Motorsport Museum returns from BOM viewing, of course!  :D  Flog it.  When the suspension is right, everything else is, too, and you will drop squids.  As an aging boomer, I love doing that.

Of course, as an aging boomer, I also realize I will not ride forever, so I do it every chance I get.  Went out for lunch break today, and, rather than eating dead meat on bread, ran the Ballabio hard thru some virtually deserted roads in the rolling hills around here, south of Atlanta.  What joy.  BOM (or day or week) and this, too.  Life is good.  :mg:

Bill

80761[/snapback]

Hey Bill, numerous times ive thought about getting a tonti "cruiser" to replace my kawi nomad as my touring rig. The nomad is a great bike, and its got the prettiest hard bags of any bike (IMHO). It seriously lacks in soul though, Ive never ridden a Guzzi EV/cali, but the smile my V11 sport brings to my face is second to none. If the EV is half as fun to ride as my sport,I would love it. what concerns me is the ergos, as my wife and I are big folks,and also Ive read that the foot controls on the EV's are downright awkward,plus its a little cramped for 2 riders. Ive always loved the look of a pearl white Bassa...... :wub:

Congrats, Bill!

As one who offices with nine attorneys, I can recommend them highly as friends. Next month, I'll submit a pic and there will be no braying as to the winner.........

'Til then, all hail Hagan.

And --puleez -- let's keep this damnable award in Atlanta -- where it belongs..........

v50 a/k/a Francis a/k/a the man whose hibachi was devoured by MEAN and RUDE aliens...

Life, alas, has become too much.................

Of course, as an aging boomer, I also realize I will not ride forever, so I do it every chance I get.  Went out for lunch break today, and, rather than eating dead meat on bread, ran the Ballabio hard thru some virtually deserted roads in the rolling hills around here, south of Atlanta.  What joy.  BOM (or day or week) and this, too.  Life is good.  :mg:

Bill

80761[/snapback]

great attitude and big it up for the Cali. I'm not a cruiser guy, but thats one I've always liked.

I would do the excact same during my lunch break, hasnt it been for the blizzard, 70 cm of powdersnow and -8C...

Congratulations Bill! I'd echo everything you say about the Cali - they're a real hoot to ride...built round one of the greatest bike frames ever made (35 yrs & going strong!).

Cheers! :bier:

KB :sun: