Almost a lowside

Kannon

I darn near had a lowside with my LeMans yesterday. I was pushing it hard through a lefthander when somthing dug in and 'bout lowsided me. Scared the peedoodle outa' me ! I guess I had never had this bike cranked over quite that far before, but I always expected the peg feelers should be the first thing to touch. When I got home I put'er up on the rack and found a big chunk of the kickstand had been ground off and by measuring the angle of attack I realized that the stand will dig in many degrees before the left peg even comes close.

I cut off the rubber bump stop for the stand so it's only about 1/4 inch thick and ground the foot of the stand to a new shape that should improve things, but the stand is still gonna' hit first - guess I'll have to go a little slower on left turns.

Anyone else have a problem with this? Or a different solution?

Setting the preload on the shock often improves ground clearance. Have you checked the sag?

My Sport touches the sidestand considerably less with the suspension set up.

I darn near had a lowside with my LeMans yesterday.  I was pushing it hard through a lefthander when somthing dug in and 'bout lowsided me.  Scared the peedoodle outa' me !  I guess I had never had this bike cranked over quite that far before, but I always expected the peg feelers should be the first thing to touch.  When I got home I put'er up on the rack and found a big chunk of the kickstand had been ground off and by measuring the angle of attack I realized that the stand will dig in many degrees before the left peg even comes close.

I cut off the rubber bump stop for the stand so it's only about 1/4 inch thick and ground the foot of the stand to a new shape that should improve things, but the stand is still gonna' hit first - guess I'll have to go a little slower on left turns.

Anyone else have a problem with this?  Or a different solution?

80855[/snapback]

Wow, scary eh? Glad it worked out ok for you. :thumbsup:

The solution you've come up with is the only one I've read about...either cut the stop down or remove it entirely. Fortunately this is a problem I don't seem to have, I ride more "conservatively" (read as "I'm a big chicken") than many here do. ;)

Wow, scary eh?  Glad it worked out ok for you. :thumbsup:

The solution you've come up with is the only one I've read about...either cut the stop down or remove it entirely.  Fortunately this is a problem I don't seem to have, I ride more "conservatively" (read as "I'm a big chicken") than many here do.  ;)

80858[/snapback]

Gill, Did you glue your mystery object back on? The lack of the rubber bit is the reason mine doesn't ground despite being on out the box suspension settings and a sylphlike 250lbs plus kit. (aided by wussy cornering also)

Keep in mind it is better to hit the foot of the stand where it is rubber mounted and will give a little then it is to hit up front at the stand's hinge.

The more of the rubber you cut out, the further the front protrudes.

Less sag and shifting your weight more are the easiest solutions.

It would be nice if someone built a better stand.

Longer, higher, bigger foot, easy to retract and extend, self retracting(although some don't like that)

Keep in mind it is better to hit the foot of the stand where it is rubber mounted and will give a little then it is to hit up front at the stand's hinge...

....& it wouldn't be much fun switching the kickstand cutout cranked over either.....

Thanks for the sugestion but I'm pretty sure the Pre-load and sag are correct, I set up the suspension according to Lee Parks book "Total Control" also had some first hand suspension set-up tutoring from Lee's partner, Tracy Martin, during his "Total Control" class in MD last spring. By the way, I would recomend this class to anyone, I got alot out of it, Tracy is an excelent instructor. I took the class with my 1200 RT and am planning on taking it again on the LeMans.

Thanks for the sugestion but I'm pretty sure the Pre-load and sag are correct.....

ah well - you must be going too fast then... you could fit a slightly longer shock & lean off a bit more.

KB :sun:

Hmmm..

I've done some considerable stand scraping on my LeMans.

Always thought it wuz jolly good fun.

Are you saying you were on the stand so hard the back tire was

getting light...sliding? ( that would be jolly good fun too...as long as it was predictable

and controlable ) I go out intententionally looking for corners fast and tight and

remote enough to drag my stand...Maybe I should find a new hobby. :grin:

Anyone else have near get-offs playing this way?

Wondering if it was a quick Jab when you transitioned or if it was in the

middle of a long scraaaaaape?

Guest ratchethack

Like Docc said, with suspension properly dialed-in, it makes a huge difference how early you touch the side-stand down. With my sags properly set and stiffer fork springs matched to my weight, gound clearance is really pretty superb - far better than with stock springs.

As you noted, Bruce, Mike Stewart posted the tip a couple of years back about cutting down the side-stand rubber stop to give y'erself quite a bit more clearance. Works a wonder with proper suspension set-up!

After I did this, I could still touch the side-stand down, but I've got wear all the way to the edges on my rear Z6 and can't anywhere near load the side-stand enough to lever-over the bike and unweight the tire. Since there's still ~5-6 mm of rubber left on the stop, she still "gives" enough for good "warning" without undue risk. The Stucchi X-over and FBF oval carbon exhaust has yet to touch down... :sun:

Or you can ride 'goofy foot' and let your toes do your feeling for you.

80943[/snapback]

Yup,

You know anybody who will install titanium edge guards on the outside of boots? I've got 2 pair of riding boots that need repairing.

Ciao, Steve G.

Sidestand's buggered, ground down 1/2".

Guest rosso mandello

Last time i scratched my sidestand was on my way down from Passo Stelvio, Italy, and I long to get that feeling and sound again, meaning that you are about to get full fun out of your v 11.

have fun, ciao