Ry*n Air

belfastguzzi

Did anyone see the recent documentary on Ry*n Air's appalling (alledgedly) practices?

Well what should happen here tonight?

A Ry*n Air flight from Liverpool got clearance to land at Derry Airport. The pilot went ahead and landed. Only he landed six miles away from the airport, on a military base landing strip!

:o

Apparently it's understandable as,

the incident "involved the aircraft landing at a runway exactly in line" with the airport's runway.

A passenger said everyone was surprised when they realised what had happened.

He said: "The pilot apologised and said, 'We may have arrived at the wrong airport'.

"Everyone started laughing and thought it was a joke, then I saw for myself when I looked out and saw Army officers everywhere.

The plane had been destined for City of Derry Airport

"It was just unbelievable, I think the Army officers were shocked themselves (as) they were taking photographs. It was surreal."

A similar event happened to a friend of mine in France. He was delivering a helicopter purchased from the Omani military and was painted in desert camouflage.

My friend was born to Chinese parents in Calcutta, India. He was raised in England and has a Canadian passport. He has flown in Canada for over 30 years and wears cowboy boots and smokes a pipe (sometimes while flying).

He was directed to land at the civilian airport by Nice - only 3 miles away from a military airport where he landed mistakenly. When the soldiers saw a military aircraft land unannounced they quickly surrounded him and when this starnge looking Chinaman with bizarre credentials and wearing cowboy boots stepped out they were sure they had a terrorist!! His inability to speak French and his strange English accent seemed to confirm their suspicions and he was jailed for 36 hours while they located a Chinese interpreter.

Eventually he was bailed out by one of the French pilots who he was working with our company.

wears cowboy boots and smokes a pipe (sometimes while flying).

strange looking

bizarre credentials

inability to speak

jailed

bailed

84277[/snapback]

Yeah.

That's the same sort of guy as the other lot (alledgedly)

Guest Nogbad
A Ry*n Air flight from Liverpool got clearance to land at Derry Airport. The pilot went ahead and landed. Only he landed six miles away from the airport, on a military base landing strip!

:o

Apparently it's understandable as,

the incident "involved a pilot who was half asleep after 180 hours non stop work"

A passenger said no one was surprised when they realised what had happened.

He said: "The pilot couldn't apologise as he was in the middle of a power nap at the time."

84274[/snapback]

Say no more.

I'm taking that flight from Liverpool to Derry in August- he better land it in the right place cos I hate buses.

84337[/snapback]

er.. say no more, indeed

good luck.

I've landed in Derry, and I know about the possiblilty of that happening, But I didn't think anybody would be stupid enough to give it a go. Theres a write up on the paperwork warning you against it, but it should really be teaching your mother to suck eggs.I think the army base is Ballykelly?

What it meant was the ryanair boyo's landed visually, ignoring any istrument indications, which as professionals is more our bread and butter. It takes a lot of effort to do something that silly, and I can quote the few times it's happened to a big company. American airlines landing in Frankfurt thinking it was Brussels comes to mind, back in 1994.

Ryanair's an accident waiting to happen.

84360[/snapback]

Do you think they'd give me a job. I had a PPL for two years only renewed it the once, expired about 20 years ago. No IFR rating, no RT licence either. I have subsequent RAF Navigator experiance I got chopped just before the end of the initial low level phase, crashed through one to many MATZ :D

I must have nearly 60 hours on Cessnas 150/152, It's just like riding a bike- isn't it?

I loved the 150 40 degrees of flap, there's no way you're going to overshoot :lol:

Do you think they'd give me a job.

84367[/snapback]

If the tv doc was anything to go by, they don't give jobs – they sell them, or at least crew have to pay for their own training etc (allegedly).

Then, as the secret fiming showed, and the examiner actually said, the hardest thing about the qualifying exam was writing your name – as notes etc were allowed to be brought in to the exam.

Do you think they'd give me a job. I had a PPL for two years only renewed it the once, expired about 20 years ago. No IFR rating, no RT licence either. I have subsequent RAF Navigator experiance I got chopped just before the end of the initial low level phase, crashed through one to many MATZ  :D

84367[/snapback]

Sorry Martin, you are obviously overqualified for the job. You'll have to make do with making airplane noises at your desk.

Rj

I've landed in Derry, and I know about the possiblilty of that happening, But I didn't think anybody would be stupid enough to give it a go. Theres a write up on the paperwork warning you against it, but it should really be teaching your mother to suck eggs.I think the army base is Ballykelly?

What it meant was the ryanair boyo's landed visually, ignoring any istrument indications, which as professionals is more our bread and butter. It takes a lot of effort to do something that silly, and I can quote the few times it's happened to a big company. American airlines landing in Frankfurt thinking it was Brussels comes to mind, back in 1994.

84360[/snapback]

They probably weren't expecting any ILS. Many of the airports RA uses don't have it - that's one of the reasons the tickets are so cheap. I had a few exciting go-arounds at Torp (Oslo) a few years ago in very dense fog. Ended up going to the proper airport. Bet that put a hole in the profit for that flight.

m

Derry does have an ils though, at least it did. Ballykelly doesn't.

However I see the flight wasn't strictly a ryanair aircraft, it was a wet lease from a small irish charter operation, flying a320's, not that that's an excuse, what I said earlier still stands.