32mpg? You gotta be kidding me!

rocker59

You'd have to be talking about Mark Gilmore's bike wouldn't you? There can't be many Guzzis in Kempsey. Probably just the 2 of you.

If so, its not a PC its my My15M.

If its not Mark ( gawd 3 guzzis in kempsey? ) then you might want to track him down.

yes! you're right cliff, it's marks bike he's refering to. keep in mind he is very old.

and localy we do suspect some early onset of oldztimers. :D ''arn't all guzzi riders'old or a bit''

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why Jaap continues to allow this "bird Molester" on this site, especially as he appears to be so critical of all things guzzi.

Maybe he should go out and indulge in some purist motorcycling pleasures and actually take pleasure in molesting a "real flying eagle" for change and he might truly understand what we all stand for.

You're right Cliff it was Gilmore's bike I was referring to,sorry I misnamed your engine management system.

An honest mistake, something that a suzuki engined plastic fantastic rider wouldn't really understand. Instead he must sling mud at us slightly graying demented enthusiasts.

"arnt all guzzi riders'old or a bit''

I've said it b4 but We're not ALL old salts. I'm a modest 26 and have had my guzzi for just over 3 years now if I'm not mistaken :oldgit:

as for milage I think I need to do something possibly about the sensor I took out of my airbox because depending on the weather my milage is all over the place. I get about 32-42 mpg sometimes my fuel light comes on at 130mi and sometimes as high as 170, once at 180. Getting that high without a light makes me worried the light is out :grin: although the new tank I installed has to be slightly smaller I think my old tank must have been made out of spec or the previous owner but something in there that deformed the tank and made it bigger :huh2:

Morris, when you buy a unit, I'll come up for another visit. You're lucky to have Mark nearby. It makes the initial learning so much easier.

g.forrest, is that Cagiva based on a TL1000? I have a MyECU that may work with that.

Cliff, Mark has the open Remus pipes and now he's made his own x-over, where.as mine is all standard.

Would I need to make it more free breathing to get the best effect with your ECU or would it improve the standard setup?

BTW, Iwouldn't go suggesting to the avian molester to improve his TL1000 output just yet as he is still getting the hang of the power from the 660 Muz. Might put him over a cliff, so to speak.

Oh did I mention oil leaks.

MyECU should improve your standard setup ( remove misses etc) but as with all ECUs they can only allow you to approach what the engine is capable of. They can not increase the power past what the engine can produce.

BTW, Iwouldn't go suggesting to the avian molester to improve his TL1000 output just yet as he is still getting the hang of the power from the 660 Muz. Might put him over a cliff, so to speak.

Oh did I mention oil leaks.

Thought he stopped that oil from pissing out.My Bonny throw's out less

MyECU should improve your standard setup ( remove misses etc) but as with all ECUs they can only allow you to approach what the engine is capable of. They can not increase the power past what the engine can produce.

Hi Cliff,

My '04 Sport has two M10 ports in the side of each exhaust pipe, close to the engine. Looks like a good location for an O2 sensor. Are MyECU or Power Commander to your knowledge capable of making use of same in closed loop mode?

Cheers,

John

MyECU will work with one or 2 sensors. Power Commander's approach is to disable o2 sensors.

Sensors generally have an 18mm thread. The ones on your exhaust are test points only. Not for the sensors themselves. Does yours have a sensor in the crossover?

MyECU will work with one or 2 sensors. Power Commander's approach is to disable o2 sensors.

Sensors generally have an 18mm thread. The ones on your exhaust are test points only. Not for the sensors themselves. Does yours have a sensor in the crossover?

There is no sensor in the crossover. Is MyECU a replacement for the original or does it work with it?

What sort of test is done with the test ports? Perhaps a gas sampling tube for a flue gas analyser, or thermocouple for exhaust temperature.

I'm getting 41 MPG (US gallons) with 1500 miles on the odo with standard setup, so I wonder if I will do any better by changing the ECU, PCIII, etc. The bike runs great as well. Mine is two model years newer than yours, so perhaps MG learned some things, or I'm just lucky. When I get the chance, I do plan on putting some conductive grease in the temp sensor, though.

I just think I ought to be able to do as well as my full dress cruiser: 48. I'd like to have the extra range.

• 3 weeks later...

Just tipped over 3300m and this week's fillup shows a 5mpg jump from the 32mpg range to a whopping 37! I usually watch the trip meter and was pleased to make it to 130 before the fuel light lit. 2004 Ballabio with stock exhaust and no PCIII so I expect this will continue to improve over the next 1000 miles or so.

I have a daily 60mi commute and better gas mileage is going to throw off my refuel schedule. ;-)

Being used to dual carbs and petcocks I have to say I kind of like the "reserve" effect of the V11 tank. When the fuel warning lights up, I play a game out of trying to dim it by looking for turns to lay the bike over and slosh gas out of the other side of the tank.

I'm getting 41 MPG pretty consistently, and have found that I can squeeze in a little extra gas if I keep trickling it in. It's been taking on 4.1 to 4.15 gallons (U.S.) with a range of 160 miles when the reserve light starts warning me. However, so far, I've been quite gentle with the throttle.

I am seriously thinking of aftermarket mufflers. I miss my old Norton's rumble and roar, with its stock reverse cone quite unrestricted mufflers. Either that, or surgery on the OEM "silencers", once my warrantee expires. Then, either Tune Boy or Power Commander to get the MPG back where it belongs.

Meanwhile, I purchased a brass temp sensor holder from Greg Field, and have my copper based anti seize compound at the ready, and look forward to seeing what that does to mileage.