32mpg? You gotta be kidding me!

rocker59

Got to check fuel economy on my Nero Corsa Friday.

I was kinda shocked when the fuel light came on at about 109 miles. I filled up at about 119 miles. It used 3.7 gallons. Dang, thats only 32mpg !!!

Granted, the machine only has about 2500 miles on it, but I wasn't really pushing it that hard on the ride. 32 mpg is exactly 10 fewer mpg than my FCR41 equipped Sport 1100 returns in exactly the same riding conditions !!!

I thought my Quota was bad. It averages 38 mpg.

Any thoughts, observations or comments from the cognoscenti ???

It looks like an auxillary fuel cell is in the Nero's future...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest trispeed

I got low 30's for the first 1500 miles and now got 40 for the 1st time at 2500 miles, so just keep riding, I suppose

My light normally comes on at about 120miles.

Yesterday it came on at 104 , I can only assume I hadn't quite brimmed it.

This worked out at 31mp(imperial)g or 26 mp(US)g :(

I get better milage when hooning around, I think WOT and too higher a gear on the motorway makes it suffer, but I'm not lugging the engine at all.

I did once get 140 miles and the light hadn't come on, I thought it had blown :)

I don't tend to worry about it only just where the next fuel stop is when in more remote areas :bike:

38mpg is probably about what you'll get riding on city streets. Thats about what mine does more or less. You'll notice much better mpg on the highway though. I ride at between 80 & 90mph on the freeway & average about 43 to 45 mpg on a trip. If you go say 60 mph you'll probably do even better than that.

Oh yeah, another thought is to check the tire pressure. You should have at least 35 psi on either end for good fuel mileage.

This is second hand, so take it for what it's worth.

I was talking to Micha, the service manager at MI, who owned a V11 LeMans until recently.

He had always told me you need a Power Commander if you make any significant changes to the intake or exhaust. I brought this up to him, in the context that I was surprised my Billy Bob ran so well with the FBF crossover and Mistral muffler. It runs without a hiccup.

He said, "No, you misunderstood. They'll usually run good that way, but they then get terrible gas mileage. Here, I'll show you a PC III map."

He pulled one up on the screen, and sure enough, the numbers were all negative (leaner from stock) under most conditions up through 3,500 rpm. He said this is where most people ride most of the time, especially in town, and tht under such use, a modified bike without a PC will get 25-30 mpg. With a PC, they'll get 40-45 and that at today's prices ($2.89 fo premium in Seattle), that will pay for the PC in a year or so.

So, I bought one and will install it in a few hours.

He said with a PC III I should expect nearly 200 miles to a tank. That's better than my Eldo gets.

The V11 series that I have owned average about 40 to 43 mpg. Having put on about 40,000 + miles on these bikes, I have found that ambient temperture is what makes the bikes get good mileage/poor mileage with each fillup. A few years ago when Carl and I rode down to the Prescott rally from the SF Bay Area, we were suprised to find that our bikes got identical mileage. When my mileage was down, so was his. We also noticed when we would ride through colder areas that our mileage fell into the mid to high 30 mpgs and this was at crusing freeway speeds (80ish). The hotter the temp, the better your mileage will be.

The most miles I ever felt comfortable about going was in the 170 to 180 mile range on the earlier V11 Sport (external fuel pump). On my Rosso Corsa with the in the tank pump, it is quite abit lower due to less volume of the tank.

Greg is also correct on the stock fuel mapping being rich in some areas. I am a firm believer in the Powercommander.

Mike

"The hotter the temp, the better your mileage will be."

Ain't that the truth!

I'm suprised none of the electric boffins on the Guzzinet have come up with a plug-in solution to the temperature problem.

My assumption is: The sensor reads head temps as cold and richens the fuel to compensate.

John T. suggests a second map for the PC III for cold weather but that is not practical for rides with big elevation and temperature changes.

I await your wisdom...

DW

cylinderhead.jpg

Thanks for your responses, everyone.

I guess a PowerCommander is in my future.

I'm new to motorcycles with efi, but I guess I'll get used to it.

My first impressions of the Nero Corsa are that it is being muzzled by the intake and exhaust. It seems kind of bottled up.

My Sport 1100 has a K&N filter, Staintune full system and FCR41 carbs. It breathes quite freely and runs great.

Even with it's taller gearing, my seat of the pants evaluation is that my Carb Sport has lots more grunt than my new Nero Corsa...

I'm intending to do some sport-touring on the Nero Corsa, so the farther it can go on a tank, the better. 200 miles is a good number.

I'm planning on taking it on an IBA Bun Burner 1500 this Spring...

I am not sure which sensor would be the one causing richness when cold, the engine temp sensor or the air intake temp sensor.

I think one way of fooling the system would be to install an adjustable reostat

just like the good old VW/Bosch fuel injection days. Crank up the resistance to fool the engine that it is hot and get that 200 miles per tank. :P

Mike

"The hotter the temp, the better your mileage will be."

Ain't that the truth!

I'm suprised none of the electric boffins on the Guzzinet have come up with a plug-in solution to the temperature problem.

My assumption is:  The sensor reads head temps as cold and richens the fuel to compensate.

John T. suggests a second map for the PC III for cold weather but that is not practical for rides with big elevation and temperature changes.

I await your wisdom...

DW

cylinderhead.jpg

84722[/snapback]

He said with a PC III I should expect nearly 200 miles to a tank. That's better than my Eldo gets.

84694[/snapback]

I don't think most people get better MPG with re-maps, unless that is their goal.

Here is the 001 map, aka the map for the stock bike (US model???)

Negatives indicate fuel taken out because the Tuning Link oxygen sensor indicates that it is too rich . Positive numbers indicate the reverse.

Add an aftermarket muffler and all the numbers change.

Mess with your TPS and all the numbers change.

001 MAP

05 10 20 40 60 80 100

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1000

00 -3 00 05 03 00 00 1500

-5 00 02 11 10 14 15 2000

-7 -9 -6 -14 -7 -5 20 2500

00 -5 -2 03 00 07 14 3000

00 00 04 03 03 06 -4 3500

00 06 09 -2 01 06 05 4000

00 05 15 02 07 06 09 4500

00 05 11 -7 -6 00 04 5000

00 00 12 02 02 -1 10 5500

00 00 10 -4 -1 04 10 6000

00 00 00 -7 00 00 06 7000

00 00 00 00 00 00 01 8000

But remember, some bikes are more equal than others

I am not sure which sensor would be the one causing richness when cold, the engine temp sensor or the air intake temp sensor.

84729[/snapback]

here is what the air temperature sensor does....not much change above freezing.

aircompare2nd.gif

One map is the Ti ECU and the other is the basic ECU for pre-2003 bikes

I could show the trim on the engine temperature sensor...but I am lazy at the moment

Got to check fuel economy on my Nero Corsa Friday.

I was kinda shocked when the fuel light came on at about 109 miles.  I filled up at about 119 miles.  It used 3.7 gallons.  Dang, thats only 32mpg !!!

Granted, the machine only has about 2500 miles on it, but I wasn't really pushing it that hard on the ride.  32 mpg is exactly 10 fewer mpg than my FCR41 equipped Sport 1100 returns in exactly the same riding conditions !!!

I thought my Quota was bad.  It averages 38 mpg.

Any thoughts, observations or comments from the cognoscenti ???

It looks like an auxillary fuel cell is in the Nero's future...

84660[/snapback]

...sounds about right, although as noted in some of the previous posts, it can vary.

Do a quick search on the topic and you'll find this complaint quite a bit, although when I posted a question on a couple other forums(noteably www.sport-touring.net) I found that when one computed total range(even at the ~30ish MPG) the V11 was about on par with other average ST capable bikes.

Now, certainly other bikes like ST1100, VFR, etc could get much longer range, the V11 was certainly right there on average.

I guess it depends on what your priority is.

If it is pure MPG(economy), then the V11 isn't exactly the most miserly bike out there for whatever various reasons, and some of the bikes do seem to vary.

But if actual range is one's concern(which isn't purely economy per se), then the V11 is certainly fine.

BTW, I found that switching from the 2002(external fuel pump) tank to the 2003 tank made no appreciable difference in range. The 2003+ tank is a little bigger, although not by much, but apparently enough to more-or-less offset the internal pump assembly.

If you check the vapor lock FAQ, there should be links to my various fuel tank capacity experiments, at least in some of the threads.

Al

He said with a PC III I should expect nearly 200 miles to a tank.

I have a PCIII (using Todd's map) on an '03 V11, FBF open air box, Stucchi, FBF cans...

Admittedly only about 2 k miles on the clock but... my fuel light comes in the 110 to 120 mile range.

I guess I could be evaporating gas out of the open air box thus dropping my mileage! :D

It could also be that this bike is so fun to ride with the throttle W $% O...