32mpg? You gotta be kidding me!

rocker59

I guess it depends on what your priority is.

If it is pure MPG(economy), then the V11 isn't exactly the most miserly bike out there for whatever various reasons, and some of the bikes do seem to vary.

But if actual range is one's concern(which isn't purely economy per se), then the V11 is certainly fine.

Hello Al,

Range is my deal. I would like every bike I have to be able to do 200 miles on internal fuel.

200 miles is the distance from my house to my brother's house in Little Rock. It is also the average distance for one of my Sunday rides. The fewer stops I can make while riding, the better the ride is...

Riding from gas station to gas station while on long trips does not appeal to me either, so the more range the better off I am.

I really don't care if the bike only gets 32mpg. I just wish it had a bigger fuel tank.

I have decided that I am going to mount a 5-gallon fuel cell in place of the top case when I get my Hepco + Becker racks installed. That will solve the range issue, and then some!!! That should give me 300 miles which would suit me just fine.

(I hate stopping for gas) :bike:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have decided that I am going to mount a 5-gallon fuel cell in place of the top case when I get my Hepco + Becker racks installed.  That will solve the range issue, and then some!!!  That should give me 300 miles which would suit me just fine.

That would solve your mileage, but your handling will be destroyed with over 40 lbs of fuel mounted so high and to the rear.

If you check the vapor lock FAQ, there should be links to my various fuel tank capacity experiments, at least in some of the threads.

84824[/snapback]

Al, on your old tank did you ever consider pulling the fuel warning light sensor and replacing it with a fuel valve so that fuel could come from either side of the tank?

I ran out the other day and filled up exactly five gallons.

I rely more on the trip meter, so I could give up the idiot light if the fittings are the same as the valve fitting, and then I could use almost all of the six gallons. :bier:

That would solve your mileage, but your handling will be destroyed with over 40 lbs of fuel mounted so high and to the rear.

84871[/snapback]

I would install it only for longer trips. I've got a 3-gallon fuel cell that I use on my Quota when travelling. It extends the Quota's range from 170-200 miles to 260-290 miles. Its nice when trying to make time or when travelling out West.

Yes, you don't wanna do trackdays with 5-gallons on the parcel rack, but normal high-speed touring is no big deal. If the topcase was there, it would be full of crap, anyway !!! Why not some extra fuel ??? :bier:

(Summit Racing fuel cells are great !!!)

Al, on your old tank did you ever consider pulling the fuel warning light sensor and replacing it with a fuel valve so that fuel could come from either side of the tank?

I ran out the other day and filled up exactly five gallons.

I rely more on the trip meter, so I could give up the idiot light  if the fittings are the same as the valve fitting, and then I could use almost all of the six gallons. :bier:

84904[/snapback]

I've been toying with this for some time. Although the level sensor is on the left with the petcock. To tap the trapped fuel on the right side you would have to insert a petcock in place of the regulator and go to an inline regulator with a fuel crossover line.

Sounds simple but the mounting and routing makes me dizzy. :wacko:

I've been toying with this for some time. Although the level sensor is on the left with the petcock. To tap the trapped fuel on the right side you would have to insert a petcock in place of the regulator and go to an inline regulator with a fuel crossover line.

Sounds simple but the mounting and routing makes me dizzy. :wacko:

84936[/snapback]

Oh, you are right.

I guess what I was thinking months ago was to replace the fuel low level sensor with the regulator and move a petcock to where the regulator was...or something like that.

I'll have to pull the tank and take another look.

Thanks , David. It was really rough a few miles north of here but intense all evening and all night. In '98 an F5 tornado devasted the woods up to 50 feet from my house and peeled the house of roofing and siding. Miraculously, the tornado backed up about 200 feet and side-stepped my house. I grew up in Floida and have seen 100-125 mph winds. Hey, many of us have felt that much wind behind the clocks of the V11. But this was my first time seeing 275 mph winds. :o

No when the squall lines come through there is no comfort . . .

• 4 weeks later...
This is second hand, so take it for what it's worth.

He had always told me you need a Power Commander if you make any significant changes to the intake or exhaust. I brought this up to him, in the context that I was surprised my Billy Bob ran so well with the FBF crossover and Mistral muffler. It runs without a hiccup.

84694[/snapback]

Excuse my ignorance on the subject of power commanders, I have mistrals on my bike, everything else is standard now am i doing harm to the engine by running it without altering the fuel injection. And if i buy one with the map for the mistral pipes is it just a plug in and ride or do i have to alter anything. I also remember someone in the uk saying to get them from the states but i cannot find the post in a search. One other question (sorry guys) are they preloaded with the map or is it a disc (i dont have a laptop and am comuter illeterate). :homer:

Thanks

Gary :mg::luigi:

Gary,

if the only mod to your bike are the Mistrals, you don't have to worry. From what I've read a free flowing exhaust only doesn't need a changed map on your Eprom.

However, when you start extending your mods (X-over, K&N filter, etc.) you can opt for a PowerCommander or have the Eprom "flashed" (written over by a custom map) by someone who knows what he's doing.

If you want more info on the PowerCommander, just do a forum Search

Yeah you might want to have a power commander they have plenty of plug and play options for ppl with just mistrals. However like japp said just cans doesn't change things enough its really more on the otherside of the engine that causes problems, LIKE when I went to pods WHOA lean!!!! so you NEEED to have something done if you goto more than just cans. :luigi: if you don't own a PCIII and you plan on NOT changing anything else a ECU flash would be cheaper and some say more effective. :huh2:

I tend to use the Powercommander on many of my bikes, stock or modified. Why, because most bikes do not come with the perfect map from the factory. I have played with the PC with the different bikes I own and if the map for the stock bike read all 0 (xero's) across the board, than I would say the bike did not need one. But, I have yet to see this. Most bike maps are rich in some parts while being lean in other.

So, if you want the most out of your bike (power and economy), the only easy way is with the Powercommander. Most maps avalible, most dyno centers to do the custom mapping.

Will you damage your bike if you don't use a PC with the Mistrals, most likely not, but you will not gain the most you could with out it.

Have I been the only one that has experenced power loss after changing the stock exhaust to one that breaths better?

Mike

A few years ago when Carl and I rode down to the Prescott rally from the SF Bay Area, we were suprised to find that our bikes got identical mileage.  When my mileage was down, so was his.  We also noticed when we would ride through colder areas that our mileage fell into the mid to high 30 mpgs and this was at crusing freeway speeds (80ish).  The hotter the temp, the better your mileage will be.

Mike

84701[/snapback]

Mike didn't mention that I was riding my California while he was on his V11 Sport. Very different bikes, ECU's - the works. Mike also doesn't believe in carrying along a pair of vise grips just in case... :bike: You ask him, I ain't telling the story.

Yeah, Yeah, Carl :D

If I remember correctly, it was vice grips and mechanics wire to hold my Guzzi soft bag bracket together long enough to make it to Prescott :whistle:

Well after that episode I do carry my factory tool bag, I guess I should include some nylon ties and some mechanics wire and a higher limit credit card. :homer:

Mike

One other question (sorry guys) are they preloaded with the map or is it a disc (i dont have a laptop and am comuter illeterate). :homer:

Thanks

Gary      :mg:  :luigi:

87780[/snapback]

I don't know how they are shipping now.

I got mine pre-loaded with the map for a stock V11.

If you buy from Todd Eagan aka Guzzitech, I am sure he will load whatever map you need for a modest charge or no charge.

If you want to load other maps you can get a 9V battery adapter so you can bring your PCIII to your computer( but you need a PC)

Powercommander dot com has excellent instructions on how to load maps.

Can a computer illeteratti handle it? I know my mother could not, but if you got to this forum and managed to post, you probably could handle it.