32mpg? You gotta be kidding me!

rocker59

Guest Megarad

I don't personaly own a fuel injected goose.My sport1100 is a carb model.The first two sensors we tested were purchase by myself for the computer illiterate owners of the bikes.I personaly organised the testing and supervised the fitting.The owners of both of these bikes are more than capable of doing the wrenching.They have absolutley no knowledge of fuel injection systems.This stands to reason as they are both computer illiterates.Nor do they realy want to know.Both have had older carb Guzzis in the past.In any case I have recomended this upgrade to several others who have orderd the part and done the fitting themselves.I have had positive feedback in all instances.

I have worked in the automotive industry dealing with alternative fuels for passenger vehicles and SUVs.

Working with both deisel and petrol alternative fuels and dual fuel systems.As such I do have a full working knowledge of electronic fuel injection systems as well as the various deisel injection systems.

This is probably why I don't own a later model Guzzi as the marreli electronic fuel system is rather crude and there is plenty of room for improvement.Thats not to say that these machines run bad or arn't good.

With a little TLC and a few small mods they are great bikes.

When things are less than perfect I like to try and improve were I can.The only reason I got the sensors from moto spezial is because I had dealt with them before and found them helpfull and forthcoming with any informatin required.They have very many trick bits and peices for Guzzi.They are not cheap though.I would only buy from them that which I cant get elsewere.

I dont like to get to technical when posting as some people may think Im a wanker and know it all.Thats why I just give the advice keep it simple and leave it at that. Obviously its a little different here which is a good thing.I wont hold back in future.

Cheers

Len

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Megarad

Correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't heard of an OEM solution.The marelli system has a few shortcomings these other little probs just make it worse.It was no differant in the days of carbs.Very few models came out of the factory correctly jetted.The better dealers would sort them before delivery to the end user.Most were pre delivered and never ran at their optimum.Even the current models have issues.The ignition advance curve is not quite perfect on the brevas and they are prone to pinging.Many people think its fueling but it is a closed loop system and the lambda probe on the exhaust ultimatly regulates the fuel ratio accross the entire rev range.At wide open throttle it will be slightly richer.At idle the lambda probe is redundant and a preset idle mixtuer prevails.As soon as you move the throttle the lambda probe kicks in and keeps the air fuel ratio at about 14.5 a bit less at WOT.The only way a power commander or such device will work on these models is with lambda probe signal emulation.This is why its taking so long for such devices to be available for these models.I dont beleive on a closed loop system that a power commander is worth it unless it does ignition as well as fuel.We will have to waite and see what happens.

Len

The issue may be even more complicated then just setting the correct air/fuel ratio. Other people on other brands(Honda VFR800's come to mind) have simular issues and the source is believed to be the computer sensing steady state cruising and changing the target value for the O2 sensor. Whether this is true or not I don't know but it does make sense that a manufacter would do that to improve emissions and/or mileage.

Their answer is to jump out the O2 sensor with a resistor to keep it from leaning it out. This would not stop the computer from advancing the timing in the name of emissions if that is what Guzzi is doing. All I know is that my Griso knocks and my wifes V11 knocked until I got a Power commander for it. The power commander may have been a band-aid fix, covering up the problem instead of really fixing it, but it doesn't knock now.

Working OEM system meant the standard temp.-sensor, mounted with a sufficient amount of heat transfer paste so that it can work as designed. You should compare such a system to the one that MS is selling.

Are you sure about the stories you mention for the Breva? Such a system would require a wide band probe with special controller and would be really very advanced for a motorcycle, especially at this price level. Maybe that the big Beemers have it, but Guzzi...?

Hubert

Guest ratchethack

I don't personaly own a fuel injected goose.My sport1100 is a carb model.

Ah, that would explain things a little.

No contention intended, Len. Just clarification. I hope you don't mind.

The V11 heads have the stock temp sensor located in an altogether different location closer to the intake side of the head, as Hubert noted above. Lest my memory fails me, the one you've pictured takes the place of the "inside cover" cap that hides the 10 mm inboard socket-head head bolt? :huh2:

In any case, the 2 kinds of sensors appear to be entirely different designs.

IMHO, Hubert makes a convincing argument about the superior location of the stock V11 sensor. :thumbsup:

Rgds.,

Cdr. Hack Chatwacket, Esq., G.Ph.D., BAA, TJM & YMMV ;)

Guest Megarad

Hubert has a point and it may be that the original sensor may be just fine with the heat transfer compound.

Without any testing it is just guess work. I do aknowlegdge Huberts point and it is valid and has merit.

Len

The upgraded sensor from Moto Spezial is actualy intended to replace the on that is fitted lower down near the intake port. I can only assume the theory is that heat rises and the cylinder head temp should be higher than the temp lower down on the engine.??

Len

The only problem with using heatsink compound on the OEM is getting the sensor out of the housing without the crappy plastic housing disintegrating. Some have been successful, many have not. I went with the brass housing and have seen immediate drastic improvements.

Rj

The only problem with using heatsink compound on the OEM is getting the sensor out of the housing without the crappy plastic housing disintegrating. Some have been successful, many have not. I went with the brass housing and have seen immediate drastic improvements.

Rj

Glad to hear that!

I just received the brass housing and have copper loaded anti-seize ready at hand. It looks like it might be possible to get the plastic housing out without taking the tank off. Any hope of that?

John

To me it seems as if removing the tank would be a minor problem compared to those that a cracked and stumped plastic housing might induce.

Hubert

Yeah, your right, it isn't worth the risk to save a little time.

John

Ryland3210,

I like peashooters as well, but the Staintunes look and sound great on a V11. I haven't tried or heard any others in person, but an aftermarket X-over & pair of Staintunes = sonic bliss!

Thanks for the recommendation. Sounds good, especially coming from '68 Norton rider. I'm tempted to experiment with eliminating the crossover altogether, and trying a pair of aftermarket Harley mufflers. There are lots of designs to choose from, and inexpensive, too. Some will see that as blasphemous, but what the heck. When the muffler fell off my Fiat 850, I slipped on a Triumph muffler that happened to fit. Worked great, and sounded good too. The Fiat didn't seem to mind a bit.