Sloppage sheet prototype?

pete roper

Well, the Scura came with it on.

Scura's always make me laugh. So do their owners. Speaking of - where's ole' BatsintheBelfry?? :huh2:

Glad I can make you laugh. I thought it was my joke about Agnes and Mabel walking home from bingo one night that made you laugh.

er... I wasn't really laughing at the joke, just trying to avoid that uncomfortable silence... ;)

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scura's always make me laugh. So do their owners. Speaking of - where's ole' BatsintheBelfry?? :huh2:

er... I wasn't really laughing at the joke, just trying to avoid that uncomfortable silence... ;)

Way to go!.....Another scatter bomb! :rolleyes:

Nige.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a V11 coming in in a couple of weeks for a service, with the owner's permission I'll whip the sump off and start work on designing a sloppage sheet if Greg doesn't get there first.

How many people would like one just out of interest?

Pete

Pete

I am new to this excellent forum and if its not too late please put me down for one of your plates as well. My 2003 LeMans just went into the shop with a seriously ill engine (due to oil pressure failure) so the engine is coming apart and this would be an ideal time to add the plate. Please let me know your payment requirements as well.

Thanks, Darius

Guest ratchethack

Welcome, Darius! You could do all of us a great favor if you could explain, with as much accuracy and detail as possible, what the apparent cause of the oil starvation was. ;)

Welcome, Darius! You could do all of us a great favor if you could explain, with as much accuracy and detail as possible, what the apparent cause of the oil starvation was. ;)

By all means - I expect to get feedback from Fast By Ferracci within a week and will keep the forum posted. All I can offer for now is the oil pressure warning light went on and was I hoping it was a defective oil pressue sending unit as I had confirmed sufficient oil level. Things got more exciting as I had to coax the bike through a construction zone with no shoulder on the NJ Turnpike as the engine started to sieze (brings back memories of old two stroke dirt bikes!). In any case - this forum has been a wealth of useful information since I bought the bike a couple months ago and I will do my level best to share the learning out of this experince.

What did you measure the oil level to be (on the dipstick)?

KB :sun:

About half way up the Min/Max markings with engine warm and dipstick screwed into the case. I topped it off before proceeding just to make sure. Oil pressure warning light remained on but valve train (or anything else) was not making any unusual sounds so I hoped/assumed (we all know what that gets you....) defective pressure sensor........Oh well.

There is always one. Sometimes there are three! (Bolts that are seized that is!) Took me five f*cking hours to get the sump off this Centauro I have in at the moment but it's now done! Hooray! So I now have something to hack about with to get the slopage sheet prototype underway! :thumbsup:

Pete

Yes! Same thing happened to me when I took off the sump of the Sport 1100i engine to make Enzo's plate. Luigi at the factory used tomato paste to make sure the bolts would never come out.

Yup! Enraging! Even with the bike up on the hoist I ended up having to grovel about and work 'em round with a cold chisel and then have at 'em with the vice-grips! All the while contorted into the shape of an obese, angry, serpent and looking at it upside down! :bbblll:

I dunno whether these bolts have loctite on or whether they simply seize in because they aren't taken out very often and crud can get down the threads from the top of some of them but for people inexperienced in getting this sort of stuck munt out it can be a real chore. A good idea is to BEFORE you try and turn the bolts with your allen key, (I have Snap-On allen key sockets that are second to none and fit the caps of the screws well! Don't even think of trying el'cheapo keys!) use a big hammer and a broad, flat, punch to shock the bolts by striking the punch directly onto the head of the bolt with the hit-o-meter. This will sometimes help by breaking the layer of electrolyic corrosion between the bolt and the alloy making it easier to remove them. Note I say *sometimes* :angry:

Pete

I have Snap-On allen key sockets that are second to none and fit the caps of the screws well! Don't even think of trying el'cheapo keys!

Sear's Craftsman keys are too damn small. I highly do not recommend them.

Guest ratchethack

Sear's Craftsman keys are too damn small. I highly do not recommend them.

:stupid: Overall, Craftsman tools are all fair-to-middlin' high quality by my tool standards. But those Craftsman allen keys are notoriously undersized, and they'll chew up y'er stubborn socket-head bolts like nobody's business. :bbblll:

Well, Ferracci called earlier today to tell me the cause of the oil pressure drop was an oil filter that came loose. They also took off the front cover to confirm the oil pump was OK. The good news - it seems there is no manufacturing defect lurking in the engine. The bad news - Guzzi says this is not covered under warranty (bike has about 1,900 miles and was sold originaly 7/2005). I have contacted the dealer who sold the bike and performed the 600 mile service to settle who pays for the failure but for those who get valuable information on Guzzi's from this forum - this one appears to be a "service error" issue.

While I remain known as a "gentle on the throttle," "gentle on my mind" kinda guy I figure what's good for the big boyz is good for moi (purposefully mixing something there but not sure what).

Sign me up to decrease my sumpage slop pleeez...even though my oil light only works "intermittently" (hey, it's a Guzzi...a non-functioning oil light is a sigh-n of character, roight?

Translation: Pete, I am interested in the sloppage sheet. :thumbsup: