Sloppage sheet prototype?

pete roper

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree on the definition of blowby, but Guzzi apparently does not. On some of the parts diagrams, the breather system is labeled the "Blowby System." Therefore, in relation to Guzzis, Dave Lang is actually correcter than all the rest of us.

'

Blow-by (described here - NOTE - I do NOT endorse the product represented here - I know NOTHING about it!) http://www.misterfixit.com/blow-by.htm creates unwanted positive crankcase pressure. I

I should have read the link before thanking you, but I was late for work...again, thanks to you and my lack of will power or sense of time :P Still thanks for the link to the definition.

Good grief, I suppose the following quotes are meant as humor....

"Positive Crankcase Ventilation, named after the then head of the EPA Pierre Positive."

"Welll, if that system is sucking the junk out, there must be a source of air to go into the crankcase else you would just implode the engine and the oil pan would collapse."

" It's time for a new box of kotex or an engine overhaul, whichever is cheaper. " (I better ask my wife about which is cheaper :P )

As I understand it, we do not have a PCV valve.

I always considered some degree of blow-by (either definition) to be normal.

I believe if I had gone the motoman route I would have had less blow-by (either definition) but I also believe that new rings and re-honing is un-called for. You have every right to brag about the results.

Since I switched to Repsol or Maxxum, consumption is quite tolerable....but still the airbox is pretty oily on the left side.. :huh2:

I agree on the definition of blowby, but Guzzi apparently does not. On some of the parts diagrams, the breather system is labeled the "Blowby System." Therefore, in relation to Guzzis, Dave Lang is actually correcter than all the rest of us.

ahem! "Laing".

thankyouverymuch....

I suppose I must have been brainwashed by someone into excepting both definitions....I still wash my air filter in "stoddard" solvent but don't know what "stoddard" is :doh:

Isn't there a check valve in the crankcase breather hose which would act as a PCV?

I had a Norton basket case a long time ago and on the end of the cam there was a system that opened and closed a port on the crankcase. I believe it was set up to create a negative pressure on the case to minimize oil leaks. Obviously it didn't work very well. :D

I always considered some degree of blow-by (either definition) to be normal.

Indeed it is. Blow-by _always_ happens past rings, normally through the gap at the end and especially during startup before the engine thoroughly warms. That's one of the reasons for warmiing an engine before using more of its performance. If the engine is in good condition, this blow-by is minimal and is compensated for by the breather system. As the engine wears (and maybe due to other factors, like oil levels.....) the pressure generated in the crankcase is more than the breather system was designed for and oil appears in places it was never intended.

mike

Paul, as soon as I have a V11 in for a service I'll get something under way but I'm not going to do this by guesswork, I want to make sure I get everything in the right place and have adequate drainage but without marginalising the plate's ablity to prevent slop. I can't safely do that without a model to work on.

Pete

DAve, the top picture is the original Bruno Scola plate we were running in the race bike, as tou can see it has a long *tang* of metal in the middle, being rough-cut from 1mm alluminium that tang is prone to fracture, guess how I know. My Tonti plates are very similar but are lazer-cut out of 2mm stainless, heavier for sure but for a road bike? Also I've deleted the tang and made a couple of other what I think are worthwhile mods which make them robust and durable.

When i do the ones for the V11's I'll also be doing them in 2mm stainless. Anyone who wants to go with 1mm alloy can but the forces in the case do cause flexure in thin alloy and fatigue soon sets in. I'd preffer to go for the do it once and it'll last forever principle rather than simply saving the sort of weight I could save by having a really good sh!t before I go for a ride :grin:

Pete

I'd preffer to go for the do it once and it'll last forever principle rather than simply saving the sort of weight I could save by having a really good sh!t before I go for a ride :grin:

Pete

yeah I just eat at buffalo wild wings, cleans me right out and I'm good to go. if you don't have one in your area white castle will do the same, or jack in the box. gotta save all the weight I can since I carry a full size spare around my midsection.

I'm with the doin it once idea.

Yep, let's just do it the once!

I am always in favour of tending towards over-engineering rather than the

'That looks / sounds real smart.....Oh it's broken again!' approach which left us with the single plate clutch debacle.

A corrolary...... 'Buy nice or buy twice!' :thumbsup:

Nige. B)

Guest Nogbad

Checked oil level. It's a shade under 2/3 between low and high on the vertical screwed in measurement. I wasn't able to provoke a flicker using normal hard launches, but I'm raising the level to Gregs non-screwed in measurement.

We'll see how that works re oil consumption. Not convinced I need a plate yet.