Sloppage sheet prototype?

pete roper

Scura's always make me laugh. So do their owners. Speaking of - where's ole' BatsintheBelfry??

engaged in the worthwhile pursuit of working out what the time is – while all you guys are fretting over where the oil is. I mean, really... don't you guys know that stuff is gonna run out soon anyway?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

engaged in the worthwhile pursuit of working out what the time is – while all you guys are fretting over where the oil is. I mean, really... don't you guys know that stuff is gonna run out soon anyway?

Did you see me waving from the deck of the ferry as it sailed past?

Guy :helmet:

Did you see me waving from the deck of the ferry as it sailed past?

Guy :helmet:

I can't really answer this, unless you re-post it in the silly banter forum. BTW, do you mean fairy?

Talking of ferries...

I am on one to Dublin tomorrow.

Planning on taking in the Ulster GP later this week. ;)

Nige. B)

If you're still around, see HERE, though it's probably too late.

Yup! Enraging! Even with the bike up on the hoist I ended up having to grovel about and work 'em round with a cold chisel and then have at 'em with the vice-grips! All the while contorted into the shape of an obese, angry, serpent and looking at it upside down! :bbblll: ...

Wouldn't it have been easier to just turn the bike upside down & suspend it from the rafters so that you could work standing up? After all, it's air-cooled, so it's not like the radiator overflow is going to leak... [he asks with an innocent grin]

;)

Wouldn't it have been easier to just turn the bike upside down & suspend it from the rafters so that you could work standing up? After all, it's air-cooled, so it's not like the radiator overflow is going to leak... [he asks with an innocent grin]

;)

Silly Skeeve. Don't you know he's in Australia so everything is already upside down. That's why when he puts it on the hoist it goes down lower and he ends up groveling!!

Pete, I may be too late to the party, but after reading the post in it's entirety I'm interested in one of the plates, just let me know.

Thanks,

Phil

Atlanta GA

'02 MG LeMans

'02 XR400 (dirt slut)

I was hoping to have the prototype in my grubby paws on Friday but things conspired against me and I couldn't get to the cutter. I'm off to Tasmania with Jude for a couple of days of R&R on Monday until Wednesday, (And incidentally I'm lending Phil A. my Axone so he can have a play with it and try and work out how to upload different maps into it without broaching the security codes.) After a couple of days lounging in a swanky resort on Cradle Mountain I reckon I should be fighting fit to get the plates run out and if we're lucky I'll be able to get them sorted and posted before I leave for the UK on the 6th of Sept. If I can I'll bring a load of 'em over with me for the purchasers in Pommyland and that should save on postage!

Incidentally it seems that the price of stainless has recently gone up for some reason so the plates *may* be more expensive, I haven't yet got the quote. If I do them in mild steel, (and this is an application where it would be fine, it's esentially invisible from the outside of the motor and runs immersed in oil!) they will be cheaper but I'll get the quotes and work out a price first and ask before I decide.

Pete

Guest ratchethack

Have a relaxing holiday, Pete. :sun:

FWIW, I (for one) would be willing to pay any premium for 2 ea. in stainless.

I'm sure it makes no practical difference, but the IDEA of a 2 mm brown stripe on the outside of my cases -- remote as that concept may be in the proximity of seeping sump oil -- stainless just makes more sense to me considering the relatively minor material cost delta. Oh yeah - and a moderately clean finish on the edge would certainly finish it off very nicely. :grin:

FWIW (Part II), I think the idea of a "signature series" with your dremel-engraved autograph is, at the very least, y'er duty to posterity. ;)B)

Incidentally it seems that the price of stainless has recently gone up for some reason so the plates *may* be more expensive, I haven't yet got the quote. If I do them in mild steel, (and this is an application where it would be fine, it's esentially invisible from the outside of the motor and runs immersed in oil!) they will be cheaper but I'll get the quotes and work out a price first and ask before I decide.

Pete

Pete,

Does it matter that thermal expansion rates match between the oil pan and the slosh plate? Typical aluminum changes about .000012*length/(degree C.) more than typical carbon steel, which would smear the gasket by about .008inch,(.15mm), over a 100 degree C. range, at the corners of a 10inch square gasket. Could this make the gaskets leak?

304 stainless would smear about .004inch.

Here are some numbers:

aluminum: (23*10^-6)l/(degree C)

stainless: (17.3*10^-6)l/(degree C)

mild steel: (10.8*10^-6)l/(degree C)

from here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_o...ermal_expansion

Here's how I got the .008inch:

[(coeff Al)-(coeff Fe)]*(100C)*(14inch diagonal across 10 inch square)/2

= total smear of .016inch diagonal, or .008inch/corner.

Troy

how about 10 or 12 gauge Aluminum in a quality grade, like T6?

The aluminum should be fine if it is thick enough, right????

And the extra benefit is that it is an even deeper sump!!! :P

I suppose all the kick stand grinders out there might be turned off by the few millimeters lower sidestand <_>

And then I can gold anodize the edge to match my Ohlins! :cheese:

I suppose all the kick stand grinders out there might be turned off by the few millimeters lower sidestand <_>

Actually, since the top bolt of the bracket mounts to the timing case you'll have to elongate the lower bolt hole and recess for the bolt which goes into the side of the sump. :luigi:

I thought I had a picture of what I had to do to mine but I can't find it right now. I'll keep looking and post it if I do.

johnk

Actually, since the top bolt of the bracket mounts to the timing case you'll have to elongate the lower bolt hole and recess for the bolt which goes into the side of the sump. :luigi:

I thought I had a picture of what I had to do to mine but I can't find it right now. I'll keep looking and post it if I do.

johnk

So I guess more than 2mm thick could be a problem.

I don't suppose we can use aluminum foil :cheese:

about .008inch,(.15mm)

.008in is .2mm, not .15mm that I quoted in my earlier post. You'd think I would have caught this with the valve clearances, .006in (.15mm) and .008in (.2mm), having been listed so often.

Sorry.

Troy