I bought a gun to prepare for WW3

whoever did that to an Enfield should be beaten close to death with it. Truly a shame...

I agree, but the price was right. I'm guessing that at one time the conversions were popular :huh2: The guy had a Remington model 1917 30.06 that was done the same way.

Todd, we'll have to get some beer ( lotsa beer ) and head out to Mike's & blow some stuff up :bier:

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nogbad

Todd, we'll have to get some beer ( lotsa beer ) and head out to Mike's & blow some stuff up :bier:

Damn but you Americans have too much fun.....!

Just wish you could keep it out of the foreign policy arena, but heck! Who cares anyway!

Guest Aughtsix

Tex - No real loss on the '17... those damn things are jack handles. But if you ever get a chance, pick yourself up an unmolested Enfield - almost doesn't matter which one (except that I think the Ishy's, especially the early Ishy's, are crap).

My preference is for the No4 Mk1 because I like the long range ladder peep sights and the slightly heavier barrel seems to hold group better while hot.

The Brits did that one up right. Then wait and wait and wait and wait until some more of that wonderful S.African .303 surplus comes available and buy all you can afford. No, scratch that, buy more than you can afford.

But understand, a Finn Mosin will shoot rings around'em.

So Nog - I've been meaning to ask, how are you liking your Buell?

Guest Nogbad

So Nog - I've been meaning to ask, how are you liking your Buell?

It's very good. A rorty V twin that handles like a modern sportsbike. It's pretty comfortable and vibration free for the rider, but my son informs me that a pillion gets his teeth shaken out. From that I guess the isolation system is optimised for the rider sitting on the c of g.

I am now taking the Buell and the V11 out in strict rotation, and every time I take the V11 I end up thinking it's a damn good bike as well.

Guest Aughtsix

Yup - There are some pretty fine operators up there in the Great White North eh...

And whodathunkit -- moose are such large targets... ;)

jungle carbine with flash suppressor and peep sight here. Dropped lotsa deer with it over the years. My father gave it to me when I was 11. I've dropped that thing in the snow, bashed it on the rocks, literally all the beatings a teenager can lay on a gun in the bush. Still deadly accurate.

Rj

And Tex - whoever did that to an Enfield should be beaten close to death with it. Truly a shame...

All depends on whether you want an outdated battle rifle to carry around in the field, all 9+ lbs of it (4+ kg for our metrical friends), or a 7lb hunting rifle that you're only ever likely to fire a few shots at a time with & never plan on bayonetting a deer.

Different strokes for different folks!

[Yes, I realize that most hunters would benefit more from losing the 2 lbs from around their middle than from the rifle, but how likely is that gonna be? ;)

Guest Aughtsix

All depends on whether you want an outdated battle rifle to carry around in the field, all 9+ lbs of it (4+ kg for our metrical friends), or a 7lb hunting rifle that you're only ever likely to fire a few shots at a time with & never plan on bayonetting a deer.

Different strokes for different folks!

Skeeve - I respectfully, though vehemently, disagree.

If you want a lightweight hunting rifle, then go out and buy a lightweight hunting rifle!! Lots of folks make them; take your pick. But please don't destroy a collectable out of sheer ignorance and/or apathy!!!

Those old 'outdated' battle rifles aren't made anymore and never will be again. And since they are battle rifles, most of which having been used as intended, of those manufactured only a relative handful remain. They're rare and becoming more so with each passing year. Those that have survived have paid their dues so to speak and carry the scars to prove it - much like the men who carried them.

Buying one of those old 'outdated' battle rifles and Bubba'ing it up is equally tragic as a soldier surviving mutiple tours of combat duty only to return home and get run over by a bus...

They should be left for those who appreciate them. Yes, believe it or not, there are collectors who appreciate the history and beauty of those battered old 'outdated' battle rifles.

If you come across a killer deal on one, fine, but do the proper thing and turn it over to someone who will preserve it. I'm sure you can find someone to take it off your hands for the price you paid - perhaps more if you tell them your intentions.

By the way - they're not nearly as 'outdated' as you may believe...

My Dad always used an '03A3 "AughtSix" Springfield for deer hunting. I once read "the Springfield was a fine target rifle, the Mauser a fine hunting rifle and the Enfield a fine battle rifle."

I've often felt the V11 Sport is much like my M1A (M14). Like the Garand , or especially the Beretta BM59 which followed, they're a bit heavy and hard to control, not for the novice, robust and a delight in use.

Something about those thirty-cal rounds going off has the feel of the Guzzi at full chat. :sun:

mostly shotguns in that crowd. The scoped bolt rifle at the far right looks to be a Brownong A-bolt or such which could be in some .30 caliber or other high power rifle cartridge. The second chick from the right appears to be the retriever - not armed yet dangerous. :whistle:

The Socom is the more modern iteration of the M1A (M14). It was adopted ny the US Army in 1957 and replaced by the M16 6 years later about the time Carcano and Todero were penning the Guzzi V-twin. The blast will lay the grass back 10 feet around the shooter. Feels kinda like getting passed by Andy York's LeMans with its beastly pipes. :o

Outdated? What's different with a new gun?? Cartridge goes in one end. Point. Pull trigger. Projectile leaves barrel, blows hole in target. Tough to beat the old .303 for accuracy, hardiness, and killing power. Unlike my Winchester 30-06 whose B&L top of the line scope goes out of cal when it gets whacked (tree, rock, truck, etc.) the .303 is dead accurate and stays that way after a hell of a beating. Any serious hunter needs one of these meat sticks for pushing bush.

Oh, and the shot of the killer crew... I'll take the one with the pig tails. Always liked power steering. :grin:

Rj