I bought a gun to prepare for WW3

He must have had some experience w/ using a .45 in action, & hated being stuck w/ that wimpy Yuro-peen caliber... ;)

[all in jest - the BHP/P35/whatever you want to call John Browning's last pistol is one of the best pointing & pleasing handguns ever made. Haven't shot one in .40 Short&Weak, but maybe I should... :D ]

I was always fond of the Army 1911, but wasn't so sentimental that I minded the Beretta replacement, as I really couldn't hit much with either, which is always why I liked to cultivate infantrymen as friends and have them nearby when unpleasantness seemed imminent.

I may have bored you feceless with this story before, but back when we jumped out of biplanes in the 82d Airborne Division ;) , I reported in and was told I had to qualify on the 45 (yet again). A senior NCO (where are you now, SFC Rodriguez? I miss you.) drove me out to the range and said he'd plink off a few rounds in the next lane while I did the mandatory firing.

I was disappointed when, after the first dozen required rounds, I had only hit the (embarrassingly large) target a few times, much less achieved a decent shot group.

I muttered and tried harder.

Wow! I improved lots, and rather quickly had the right number of hits and qualified.

As we left, I mentioned to SFC Rodriguez that I seemed to have broken the code and done well. He paused, and said, "Well, not really, Sir, but I wanted to get back before sunset." :D

I was thoroughly chastened, but if he ever told anyone else, it was over beer long after.

Oh yes, our final protective fires at the house are a Marlin lever-action 30-30 and a Beretta 9000.

p_9000S_F_maxi.jpg

Kathi is disturbingly good with the Beretta; enough to make me worry that I may be over-insured. :whistle:

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack

I just added a Glock 33 in that .357 SIG caliber. What an amazing round! While overpenetration could be a problem it is otherwise accurate and very powerful.

Docc, the .357 Sig is one of my all-time favorite calibers. I've also got a Taurus with a compensated barrel in this caliber, and this nicely tames the muzzle rise. For home defense purposes, of course, hollow-points diminish over-penetration concerns considerably. <_<

I've been taking Speer 125 gr. GDHP's to the range - just 'cause I can get 'em cheap.

Last I looked, Cor Bon hadn't come up with a .357 Sig, but I haven't looked very hard for years and I'm sure the options for .357 Sig are lots better now. It's been an up-and-coming caliber since the FBI adopted it.

What's y'er first choice of defensive load f'er the Glock 33?

Kathi is disturbingly good with the Beretta; enough to make me worry that I may be over-insured. :whistle:

Better insurance than this cannot be had at any price!!!! :thumbsup:

. . . . 'Specially if y'er well familiar with the Law. . . . :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have no use for a handgun. They have only one purpose. Kill people.

Home defense? I've always thought this was a ridiculous excuse to own a handgun. To be useful it needs to be loaded and dangerous at all times. How many people shoot themselves or a family member without ever taking aim at an "intruder"?? If somebody comes in unannounced, you'll grab a club of some sort long before you get your gun together.

Now if you see them coming? Different scenario. Give me my 30-30 lever and my 303 and a couple buckets of ammo and ten guys with handguns ain't getting close enough to use them for a looong time.

Immediate home defense is provided by big black dog. Always loaded and always on the job. Strikes far more fear into bad guy than brandishing a pistol.

That doesn't mean I won't punch holes in paper with my buddy's .45 auto at the range. It just gets boring fast.

:2c:

Rj

Looks like Speer HP for the Glock. Not much available for it locally. Although the TN Highway Patrol has gone to this caliber so perhaps availabilty will improve.

And I agree with Ryan; a handgun can be a dangerous thing to protect your home. Storage, access and discipline are all problematic. It can be like getting a 150hp sportbike so you can ride faster.

Guest ratchethack

And I agree with Ryan; a handgun can be a dangerous thing to protect your home. Storage, access and discipline are all problematic. . . .

I want the most dangerous things I can safely gain full mastery over to protect my home.

In my expreience, gun safes and secrecy work very effectively every time they're correctly employed. . . .yes, self-discipline is involved, but none of it's problematic. . . . -_-

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

I want the most dangerous things I can safely gain full mastery over to protect my home.

I've owned about every type of handgun ever made but wouldn't have anything other than my 12 gauge shotgun for home defence. Doesn't much matter to me what make, but please make it a pump gun.

Eh, but maybe just for grins I'd touch off my Magnum Research Lone Eagle SSP in 30-06 Sprngfld. The muzzle blast and concussion alone would just about render an intruder useless. Unfortunately the same dynamics plus recoil would do me in as well. Well, not really. And i'd have that important element of surprise!

The Lone Eagle is a rotary breech, single shot hunting and target pistol developed initially by some folks here in Maine. I was involved with some of the preproduction development of it. Had a lot of fun going through the reject pile putting together shooters for myself. 22LR, 22 Hornet, 223, 7.62x39, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 357 Max, 44mag, 444Marlin and 45LC. They all shot fantastic but early versions had problems with reliable ignition and extraction. that was all figured out by the time Magnum Research came around. All I have now is an early 22LR and a production 30-06.

Sorta like having a pistol and rifle in one package.

Dennis in Maine.

In my expreience, gun safes and secrecy work very effectively every time they're correctly employed. . . .yes, self-discipline is involved, but none of it's problematic. . . . -_-

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

Yah, if you are an above average intelligence, controlling, perfectionist.

Pay no attention to the following link, as it was probably funded by LIBERALS :o

http://www.kidsandguns.org/study/fact_file.asp

:D good to see paranoia is still alive and well in the good old god fearing [in god we trust u.s.a] as long as we are well armed. just don't be of midle eastern appearance if you aproach the front door for christian help. :(
Guest Nogbad

:D good to see paranoia is still alive and well in the good old god fearing [in god we trust u.s.a] as long as we are well armed. just don't be of midle eastern appearance if you aproach the front door for christian help. :(

God = Nothing (You prove God exists please)

Therefore: USA motto = In Nothing We Trust.

No wonder the poor saps want to own guns.........

:thumbsup:

FOR HOW MANY YEARS! must one read one book. before it's understood. :huh2:

:( start a new read..

:thumbsup:

FOR HOW MANY YEARS! must one read one book. before it's understood. :huh2:

That and similar posts strike me, at a minimum, as mean-spirited and unprovoked, but the experience is nonetheless yet another lesson for me ( a slow learner, obviously) about why talking with Guzzisti about anything other than Guzzis leads ineluctably to divisive discourse.

I regret posting anything about guns--but don't regret for a moment owning them. I do regret seeing the seamier side of those who reflexively and viciously lash out at me, my country, and other things they don't like.

I do try to be a good Catholic, good American, and good man. I sometimes--indeed, mostly, I pray (literally)--succeed. Often I don't.

Best wishes and back to Guzzis. My Ballabio has the back wheel off and I mucked up the paint badly taking it off last night, so perhaps that explains my crabby response above. :luigi::P

That and similar posts strike me, at a minimum, as mean-spirited and unprovoked, but the experience is nonetheless yet another lesson for me ( a slow learner, obviously) about why talking with Guzzisti about anything other than Guzzis leads ineluctably to divisive discourse.

But that is nothing short of interesting. Everyone is different and it is good to know and try to understand those differences.

I regret posting anything about guns--but don't regret for a moment owning them. I do regret seeing the seamier side of those who reflexively and viciously lash out at me, my country, and other things they don't like.

I don't regret you posting but I do regret that you live in a society where you feel you must be armed in your own home to feel safe. I have _never in my life_ felt the need to be armed - and I've lived and worked in some of the most unpleasant parts of this country. Can you imagine that? I can't imagine your need, so I imagine we are equal. 8-)

For me, guns in the home seem to me to be similar to life saving techniques. Purely because of statistics, the people you are most likely to use them on are your nearest and dearest. No matter what other delights it had to offer, a society that required me to own a gun for self defence is not one I would willingly participate in.

mike

I'm surprised we made it 66 posts before this slant arised. Kind of like having a chat in the parking lot about Guzzis, Ducatis, injection, tires . . . and some bloke walks up to say, " those big motorbikes are dangerous and a nuisance. They should be banned. No one needs one."

Freedom is a powerful and fragile existance. It's price is, indeed, eternal vigilance.

I'm surprised we made it 66 posts before this slant arised. Kind of like having a chat in the parking lot about Guzzis, Ducatis, injection, tires . . . and some bloke walks up to say, " those big motorbikes are dangerous and a nuisance. They should be banned. No one needs one."

Freedom is a powerful and fragile existance. It's price is, indeed, eternal vigilance.

Having guns in the home _because you feel you need them for protection_ is not my idea of a free society. The price of that seems to be eternal violence.

a society that required me to own a gun for self defence is not one I would willingly participate in.

mike

And one that prevented me from owning a gun is one I would not willingly participate in.

So we're even.

I'm glad you enjoy the structure of your society, and

feel the need to criticize mine.

For the record, I have never pointed a gun at anyone.