I bought a gun to prepare for WW3

Whew! That was alot to read. Funny, really , how the trends in motorcycles and firearms parallel. Keep it box-stock? Mod it to the max? It is after all my bike (rifle).

I was right proud to finally find a replacement for my Dad's '03A3. It's an early example but built in the last year of the '03 ( 1939) then arsenal rebuilt in'44 and apparently sent to Turkey on Lend-Lease. The sights are hard for my sorry-ass eyes to see but , trust me, you don't want me shootin' at you with at. At any range.

My CMP ( DCM) Garand turned out to be a real shitter. As you may know, you can go to an affiliated rifle range and shoot a high powered military rifle to qualify for application to buy a US rifle from the US Army arsenals. It took me 2 years to finally get my Garand. So often club guys would bring by their impeccable examples to show off. Mine came with mismatched wood and a mighty greasy stock. But the first time I shot it, under very poor conditions, made me respect the ol' horse. 2 MOA? Well, a lot depends on the (medium) old eyes. But I did refinish it, and , while not box-stock-linseed -oil mil-spec, it is a beauty, and it is MY Garand. And you don't want me shootin' at you. From any range.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want the S&W 500 revolver I've heard if you get a good sight and a steady hand its accurate to around 300+ meters or so. I've heard of ppl that take it deer hunting, while not legal in this state to hunt deer with a revolver they carry it as a *backup* and just leave thier rifle on thier shoulder. :huh:

I really want the S&W 500 revolver I've heard if you get a good sight and a steady hand its accurate to around 300+ meters or so. I've heard of ppl that take it deer hunting, while not legal in this state to hunt deer with a revolver they carry it as a *backup* and just leave thier rifle on thier shoulder. :huh:

Where you live, DeBen? I know that some states have restrictions on type of firearm (shotguns), but that's due to population concerns (not wanting downrange problems.)

I know some places just have an energy requirement ("XXXX foot-#s at 100yds") which of course, the S&W X-frame just loves... ;)

Other states will have a minimum caliber requirement, which of course, 'causes little concern for the S&W either.

What's all this got to do w/ motorcycling? I dunno; pretty soon, we'll have to start salting this thread w/ suggestions on how to pack your deer home on the back of your Goose!

:thumbsup:

You've got those young eyes so maybe you can reach out to those ranges. It's more realistic to expect pistols to be accurate to 25 meters. If you've ever fired upon anything beyond 150 meters you know how hard it is to stay on target and hold a lethal level of accuracy even with a good high powered rifle. Optical sights, of course, extend the range of accuracy depending on your trigger technique, steady hold, ammunition and perhaps a dozen other factors.

Like sport riding , the uninitiated believe that the equipment ( rifle, handgun, motorbike) yields the result. In practice, there is no substitute for skill and experience.

You've got those young eyes so maybe you can reach out to those ranges. It's more realistic to expect pistols to be accurate to 25 meters. If you've ever fired upon anything beyond 150 meters you know how hard it is to stay on target and hold a lethal level of accuracy even with a good high powered rifle. Optical sights, of course, extend the range of accuracy depending on your trigger technique, steady hold, ammunition and perhaps a dozen other factors.

Like sport riding , the uninitiated believe that the equipment ( rifle, handgun, motorbike) yields the result. In practice, there is no substitute for skill and experience.

When I was doing my qualifing shoots, in my days as a young RAF Officer, with the Browning 9mm SLP. Done at 15M the instruction from the Flt Sgt was "in real life wait untill you see the whites of their eyes and then throw it at then" :(

When I was doing my qualifing shoots, in my days as a young RAF Officer, with the Browning 9mm SLP. Done at 15M the instruction from the Flt Sgt was "in real life wait untill you see the whites of their eyes and then throw it at then" :(

He must have had some experience w/ using a .45 in action, & hated being stuck w/ that wimpy Yuro-peen caliber... ;)

[all in jest - the BHP/P35/whatever you want to call John Browning's last pistol is one of the best pointing & pleasing handguns ever made. Haven't shot one in .40 Short&Weak, but maybe I should... :D ]

Guest ratchethack

Not in short quarters, such as in a typical home-defense situation. Now the man with a "coach gun" or shortened version thereof (aka b!tch) loaded with double aught buck may have a distinct advantage over both...... -_-

My personal choice is a Sig Sauer P229 chambered in .357 Sig with laser pointer internal to the recoil spring guide and Trijicon night sights. My primary "backup" is a S&W 629 Classic .44 Magnum with ported barrel, but I've got a few other secondary backups in case of real emergency..... ;)

Not in short quarters, such as in a typical home-defense situation. Now the man with a "coach gun" or shortened version thereof (aka b!tch) loaded with double aught buck may have a distinct advantage over both...... -_-

My personal choice is a Sig Sauer P229 chambered in .357 Sig with laser pointer internal to the recoil spring guide and Trijicon night sights. My primary "backup" is a S&W 629 Classic .44 Magnum with ported barrel, but I've got a few other secondary backups in case of real emergency..... ;)

you sure you're not from montana? how many emergencies could you have? I guess you REALLY don't want the king of england ti come in and push you around.

you sure you're not from montana? how many emergencies could you have? I guess you REALLY don't want the king of england ti come in and push you around.

Or the king of anywhere else. We are , after all, free sovereigns each of us.

I just added a Glock 33 in that .357 SIG caliber. What an amazing round! While overpenetration could be a problem it is otherwise accurate and very powerful. I've always used the Colt 1911 but it is a bit bulky for carry.The little Taurus concealed hammer revolver in .38 spl always made me feel like I was bringing a cat to a dog fight.

In the house: handgun with a SureFire flashlight. Out on the 'ranch' the AR15 carbine is mighty reassuring.

I used a modified Remington 870 12guage for years on my other farm. For short range (35m) and limited penetration ( don't try to shoot through the oak barn) it was an imposing sight. I just wouldn't have wanted to come up against that guy with a rifle! :o